Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Another swine flu thread (sorry) re those who have died due to "underlying conditions"

(10 Posts)
Tinker Tue 30-Jun-09 14:11:27

Do we know yet what they were? Have we not been told because they are really rather every day - asthma, pregnancy?

PortAndLemon Tue 30-Jun-09 14:28:59

I think we've not been told for reasons of confidentiality. The more information given about someone, the easier it is to identify them and the more likely that a horde of reporters descends on their friends and family.

And in the case of the elderly man who dies in Scotland, at least, they were described as "very serious" underlying health conditions, so probably not asthma (or pregnancy, obviously)

janinlondon Tue 30-Jun-09 14:31:08

No - they are serious underlying problems. The little girl had microvillus inclusion.

Tinker Tue 30-Jun-09 14:31:46

Yes, I did wonder if that might be the reason but did they not name the 9 year old girl yesterday? They might not, I was only half listening to the news.

PortAndLemon Tue 30-Jun-09 14:32:08

Jacqueline Fleming is believed, according to friends of the family, to have had a stroke (I've only just seen when checking that that her baby died as well a couple of weeks later, which is very sad).

edam Tue 30-Jun-09 14:33:03

Well, they did say the poor woman in Scotland was a. pregnant and b. had suffered a stroke a couple of years ago.

Not sure we'll ever hear more about the tragic case of the child in the Midlands for the reasons PortAndLemon gave.

Tinker Tue 30-Jun-09 14:33:58

x posts. Right, so serious. Don't know what that is but assume it is serious. Would it not be better to let the public know? Maybe? Assuage some (my?) worries.

goldrock Tue 30-Jun-09 14:48:33

Agree re the confidentiality, I think that what they are trying to say is that these people did die from swine flu but it was because they also had other medical problems and that the general public don't need to be too alarmed.
I heard a news report on Radio Five that used some other form of words that explained it more clearly I can't rememebr now what they said but I noticed it because it was different to what has become the standard phrase.

I don't think you need to worry too much unless you are very ill already.

PortAndLemon Tue 30-Jun-09 15:29:52

Here you are, Tinker

Tinker Tue 30-Jun-09 15:36:22

Ah, thank you P&L. And goldrock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now