Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is the actual advice nowadays regarding Flu of the 'Swine' variety?

(13 Posts)
tiredemma Mon 29-Jun-09 08:25:24

I have Ds2 here with a raging temp, sore throat and hasnt eaten since saturday PM.

Not sure whether all the fuss has died down now or whether I should have a black X outside my house and a bell around his neck?

Im waiting for my GP surgery to open.

tiredemma Mon 29-Jun-09 09:51:32

its ok- dont all rush to answer wink

Have Drs apt at 11.30

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 10:12:38

Have you told the receptionist why you are taking him? They may well want to put him into an isolation room as he arrives or even have the doc come out for a home visit.

Hopefully its something nice and simple like tonsillitis keep us updated.

tiredemma Mon 29-Jun-09 10:19:22

Yes- she said that they will close the surgery at 11.30 and to take him then. She was very nice- I apoligised for having to ask- but could get no concrete advice from anyone.

NHS direct were useless

AMumInScotland Mon 29-Jun-09 10:19:35

My GPs surgery has a "friendly" notice on the door saying if you have flu syptoms and think you've been in contact with swine flu, to go home and phone them from there!

madwomanintheattic Mon 29-Jun-09 10:22:25

my friend was swabbed last monday, but hasn't got his results back yet. they aren't even bothering to test in the west mids any more because 'everyone's going to get it anyway'.... so there's no rush on getting his results back.
i asked him if he'd been told to stay indoors etc/ what happened when he went to the surgery, and he said they told him to stay inside if he still felt unwell, but that it wasn't really a biggie. he wasn't isolated or anything, in fact they told him to get a bus to the surgery as they weren't doing home visits any more as no point...
not sure if that helps or not lol!

madwomanintheattic Mon 29-Jun-09 10:23:23

it'll be postcode specific again lol...

tiredemma Mon 29-Jun-09 10:24:30

well for purely selfish reasons I need him to go back to school asap.
Im a student nurse on my final placement and any time off means I have to go back to my placement in the late summer to pay back my hours, which means I will be delayed in getting my PIN registration- whic in turn means ill start my new job late.

Its all a pain in the arse tbh.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 10:26:48

How frustrating!! Flaming silly germs!! Lovely receptionist though

tiredemma Mon 29-Jun-09 12:12:48

Great- five days housebound (and its his 6th birthday on wednesday)

Which means I will miss a week of placement and my registration will be delayed.

FECK.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 12:27:46

oh bloody hell. What did they say?

tiredemma Mon 29-Jun-09 12:35:05

Very pleasant- all staff kitted out in masks, gloves and aprons- the full caboodle.

It was a special 'swine flu' clinic so it was full of various members of the public afraid to sit next to one another.

went in to see GP- took DS temp (at 38.5- after taking calpol)- asked about symptoms etc.
Asked what school he went to, when I replied, he said " Oh yes- we have a couple of confirmed cases at that school from this surgery"
Took swap from nostril and back of throat, gave me a prescription for tamiflu and told me to keep him in for 5 days.

All very concise etc.

Im so pissed off at having to be off placement though. Grrr.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 12:40:19

oh good golly. Bet you didn't want to breathe in there! lol at image of patients casing each other!

not nice to be battling high temps in summer. Still, if you get it, I bet your skills will be in demand once you've had it.

am taking dd to gp this afternoon for an ongoing sore knee. Will be suspiciously eyeing up people! I might just wave her knee at gp through window grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now