Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swine flu

(10 Posts)
alisha29 Sun 28-Jun-09 21:55:09

wondered if anyone can answer my question, my daughter has had a test for swine flu and isnt allowed back to school what do i do with my other child keep him at home?? he hasnt got any syptoms just a bit of a cold.

snickersnack Sun 28-Jun-09 22:39:59

Did the test come back positive? I think you should call NHS Direct though they are v busy at the moment. I spoke to them earlier because dd is showing symptoms, and to be honest they couldn't really have been less bothered - we're in a swine flu hotspot, and they just said keep her home until she feels better but they didn't even seem particularly concerned about keeping her in quarantine, never mind anyone else who's been in contact with her. I think there are so many cases round here, they have stopped trying to contain it.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 28-Jun-09 22:41:03

Alisha - you don't have to quarantine siblings if they have no symptoms.

expatinscotland Sun 28-Jun-09 22:41:50

for a while the policy here was to go about normal activities so long as a person is asymptomatic.

alisha29 Mon 29-Jun-09 00:22:00

i phoned nhs direct at 5.00 still waiting for a call back it is now 12.20 they werent bothered about my daughter either results back wednesday

nappyaddict Mon 29-Jun-09 01:27:16

If he has no symptoms of swine flu you don't need to keep him at home.

blinks Mon 29-Jun-09 01:43:05

if you called at 5.00 and not heard back you may have missed your call back... should be within 3hrs of first call. did you call the main phoneline or were you diverted onto the special flu line? NHS 24/direct are busy dealing with more serious and urgent illnesses so flu/cold symptoms will not be a priority, whether 'swine flu' is mentioned or not.

just use common sense- if your daughter has flu of any description and her sibling seems unwell with cold symptoms, keep them both indoors until they seem better. if she is confirmed as swine flu, they may both be recommended to take tamiflu.

hope they feel better soon.

alisha29 Mon 29-Jun-09 15:49:57

Got call back 9.00 this morning other kids have syptoms now

mummycs Wed 08-Jul-09 13:18:25

My sister has just found out that my nieces school contains symptoms of swine flu, should she still send her in?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 08-Jul-09 13:25:03

mummycs - the official advice is 'yes'. As to whether she should or not, I think thats a personal decision parents are making with regards to their own situation.

For instance, if it appears in dds school in the last week of term I might not send her in cos I don't want her taking the flu with us on holiday! Bit dodgy ground there though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now