Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu, any first hand experience???

(6 Posts)
JudyBlume1019 Mon 22-Jun-09 22:28:30

Our neighbours have it, a local school has closed, am fairly resigned to us all getting it, but I don't really know what to expect, so if anyone could give me a streer about any of the following, I'd be tremendously grateful:

1. Do they test you to check you have it?
2. Are you given a vaccine when they believe you have it?
3. How bad is it? How many days are you ill for, and what are the worst symptoms?
4. Does anyone know how it affects babies. I have a very big and healthy (touching wood as I type!) bf 11 week old baby boy, and am a little worried.
5. Does it affect children or adults the worst?

Any other info would be fab.

Sorry and tia

doulalc Tue 23-Jun-09 00:00:03

For the majority it will be pretty much like the regular flu. You may be tested for it if you present the usual symptoms. There is no current vaccine, being worked on for this next flu season, but there is some thought that if you had the flu jab last year you may have some protection.

Most people fall ill, fever, chills, coughing, feeling poorly, treat themselves with rest, fluids, perhaps meds to feel better, and they get over it. Your gp may prescribe an antiviral medication that can help you feel better faster.

It is potentially most serious for those who already have a chronic illness....asthma for example. Certainly as with any flu, there can be complications so you would just watch for anything more than what you would normally expect....difficulty breathing, bluish fingers or lips, etc..

Best way to avoid it is to wash your hands frequently, use hand sanitiser when you can't wash, keep hands away from your eyes, nose, and mouth, and try to avoid exposure as much as possible to someone who does become ill. The usual things you would do to avoid getting sick from someone.

When you consider how many people die from complications each year from the regular flu, you will see that swine flu has not been as much of a problem as they thought it might be. It had the potential and of course was all over the media, just as SARS, avian flu, mad cow disease, necrotising fasciitis....all of which are still around, but are no longer in the headlines.

I would, however, be sure to get a flu jab next season.

weegiemum Tue 23-Jun-09 10:59:41

You want Expat - her and her kids all had it a couple of weeks ago. If I see her around I'll tell her!

expatinscotland Tue 23-Jun-09 11:08:43

We had confirmed swine flu. In this area at least, people are no longer being tested for it (that change happened after we'd had it). If they are still testing people in your area, however, it's a nasal swab for babies, a nasal and throat swab for children, and both swabs+bloods for adults.

There is no vaccine for it.

It is NOT as bad as seasonal flu IME. It's unpleasant, don't get me wrong, but I was still able to get online when I had it and that was definitely not the case when I had seasonal flu.

My 7-month-old son had it. He got a heavy cough that caused him to vomit, runny nose and sneezing he had diarrhea, a 38 degree temp, and was generally gurny.

It really depends on the individual how he/she is affected. My now 6-year-old developed a secondary chest infection and it took her a couple of weeks to recover, but the 4-year-old had basically a heavy cold with diarrhea.

I got terrible fatigue, D&V, cough, sneezing/running nose and my chest hurt (BUT I think my lungs might be not the greatest for having severe pnuemonia once in my 20s and I used to be a smoker as well).

Keep in mind that it's entirely possible to come in contact with it and not get it or have an extremely mild case.

HTH!

JudyBlume1019 Tue 23-Jun-09 20:16:48

Thank you. I really would like to get it out of the way with before the killer version strikes in autumn, but also dreading it.

expatinscotland Wed 24-Jun-09 16:46:55

I wish I'd have known some who wanted it when we all had it, as would have been happy to have them over for a few cuppas and a long natter and let them play with the wee ones. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now