Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu - are they not testing for it now?

(35 Posts)
brokenrecord Mon 22-Jun-09 21:06:52

There have been some cases in DD's friend's brother's school, including the person he sits next to. DD's friend's brother now is at home with flu and taking Tamiflu, but the mum (my friend) has been told that they will no longer do swabs to test for sure if he has it.

DD's best friend shares bedroom with her brother and I am guessing may well be coming down with whatever he has before long. Any advice? I would prefer for DD not to get it if possible (New baby brother on ex's side, etc) but don't want to overreact. Any advice?

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 21:09:14

they're not testing for it anymore.

brokenrecord Mon 22-Jun-09 21:14:19

Thanks expat. Does that mean that schools won't be closing any more - I guess not...?

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 21:18:02

not here in Scotland, at least, because it's now become so prevalent in the community.

bradsmissus Mon 22-Jun-09 21:18:17

What area? I am on the south east coast and work in a GP practice - we haven't had any information about not testing. We are under strict instructions to test anyone with symptoms who has returned from travel/been in contact.

bigstripeytiger Mon 22-Jun-09 21:20:44

I think its varies depending on the area, some places have now stopped trying to contain spread and are treating as needed, other areas are trying to contain the spread.

brokenrecord Mon 22-Jun-09 21:22:17

Inner London - also probably an area where it is prevalent. Is there a way to find out what the rules are now in any given area? His mum is probably correct, but it means that without a definite diagnosis it will spread much more quickly I would have thought.

brokenrecord Mon 22-Jun-09 21:22:53

x-posted with bst...

Aimsmum Mon 22-Jun-09 21:23:43

Message withdrawn

Elibean Mon 22-Jun-09 22:28:38

I don't think they're testing in London anymore, br. My dd's friend, and her brother, have recently had (real) flu of some sort - and the brother is friends with boys at a school in Hampton that closed with it a few weeks ago. There has been some in our immediate area, though not at dd's school.

The friends were told by GP no testing anymore - just Tamiflu if they think its possible Swine.

My uncle, a retired microbiologist who still gets inside info, says that is going to be the protocol for England generally: swabs to be taken unless in prevalent area, in which case don't bother - Tamiflu to be given.

bigstripeytiger Mon 22-Jun-09 22:38:31

The pandemic flu guidance is freely available on the Department of Health website.

brokenrecord Tue 23-Jun-09 10:41:34

Thanks everyone. I'll stop worrying and just go with the flow then :-)

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 23-Jun-09 10:41:58

And heres a link to the algorithms used for investigation and treatment.

brokenrecord Tue 23-Jun-09 10:57:54

I tried the DofH website, but TBH didn't find it very helpful - if you have a link to the relevant page that would be great - all I could find was stuff about covering your mouth with a tissue and an update of current cases...

Bad kitten - I don't think that link works

My question is that is people can't get a diagnosis how can they get Tamiflu, and also, how will they even know that they should be asking for it? I know that the contacts with known cases are not volunteering the information - understandably probably.

singersgirl Tue 23-Jun-09 11:02:53

My understanding is that, once it moves from containment to management, Tamiflu will only be given to those patients who clinically need it, ie people who become very ill or have a known risk factor. So if you're a chronic asthmatic and you develop flu-like symptoms, you call the GP; it doesn't matter what kind of flu it is.

But if you have no symptoms then you don't need any treatment.

brokenrecord Tue 23-Jun-09 11:22:26

That makes sense - it's just hard to keep up with the "Panic!!!! ... Oh no don't panic" mixed messages.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 23-Jun-09 12:49:21

doh. I'm such a wally! working link to hpa algorithms!

brokenrecord Tue 23-Jun-09 13:09:48

Thanks. Is that the most recent advice then? Seems to imply they still want to test for it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 23-Jun-09 16:09:32

It is. But I think that in parts of London, the midlands and Scotland they are moving from testing all cases and going over to clinically presumed cases. I believe that clinically presumed cases are still supposed to have tamiflu offered.
Hopefully someone who really knows will come along

expatinscotland Tue 23-Jun-09 18:51:27

Personally, I wouldn't take Tamiflu unless I actually HAD this flu and had a chronic condition.

My mother had to take it year before last, as she caught flu (despite the jab) and has COPD/emphysema.

It is not without side effects.

I thought it was just her, but my dad had to take it, too (heart disease, hypertension, smoker, age 73) and he also got some nasty side effects.

brokenrecord Tue 23-Jun-09 20:33:54

Thanks for the info expat - I did wonder about that.

We seem to be in the middle of a blizzard of viruses at the moment - just realised that we all almost certainly have slapped cheek syndrome, and the kids are probably incubating chickenpox too - am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

expatinscotland Tue 23-Jun-09 21:13:48

Then I hope you will soon get out of this tunnel. I have been there, too, one thing after another, it is overwhelming and you feel you will never be healthy again and it is a real downer.

We all had confirmed cases of swine flu and it was like an entire fortnight spent locked up in the house. It was not pleasant, so I understand.

There is that one part, too, that wants to know, was this it?

For us, it was.

I hope you find some answers if you do fall ill with symptoms of swine flu.

brokenrecord Tue 23-Jun-09 21:27:48

Thanks again Think I was just worried in case I should do something while I could, if you see what I mean, but it seems that it will be very difficult to avoid so may as well just wait and see what happens.

frasersmummy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:30:43

my mil phoned nhs 24 at the weekend with the flu.

She was tested... proved negative. We are just outside Glasgow so some areas are still testing

expatinscotland Tue 23-Jun-09 21:31:47

No problem! I was terrified of it before we got it, but by the time it had really broken out here, DD1 had already fallen ill.

But it's that horrible sort of rollercoaster feeling, like when you're on a rollercoaster and it climbs really slowly up a hill and you have that sinking feeling in your stomach before the drop, so I know where you are coming from!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now