Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swine flu am i over reacting

(14 Posts)
bigdonna Mon 22-Jun-09 16:19:03

my dd10 has just brought a letter home to say a boy in her year has got swineflu and the school is staying open.i will probably keep my dd off for a couple of days to see what occurs what do u think

Elibean Mon 22-Jun-09 22:22:05

Tricky one. On the one hand, I think it'll be everywhere sooner or later, so trying to avoid it probably a waste of time...OTOH, if you know for sure its there and might avoid, why not.

I dont' think its a black/white situation, do whichever you and your dd feel best about?

I also don't think a couple of days will make much difference, tbh. Good luck, whatever happens smile

Hulababy Mon 22-Jun-09 22:26:20

I think schools are trying to avoid closing now.

There is a case of it at the boy's school. The school has remained open, following advuce from the heath services, and children in that year group have been given Tamiflu but no one else.

weegiemum Mon 22-Jun-09 22:29:23

we had a letter on Friday saying there would be no more school closures due to Swine Flu as it is in the community now and they are as likely to get it anywhere else. They're not even testing here any more.

Dh has been dealing with it a lot (at work) and he says almost everyone he has seen has a mild illness and he would rather we all got it now, while it is still mild, than the more virulent strain expected in the Autumn. But we're not catching it from him as he has to dress in full Andromeda Strain type gear every time he sees someone with it!

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 22:30:50

oh, okay, i see, nikki! i thought the threesome you had was with another bloke and then you and your partner did the swinging and you contracted the gonorrhea there!

sorry!

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 22:31:28

oh, damn! wrong thread. sorry blush.

weegiemum Mon 22-Jun-09 22:36:47

I hope they are still testing for that in Glasgow, expat, and its not too 'prevalent in the community!

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 22:40:19

I would imagine so, weegie, because I certainly wouldn't be in a position to know .

Sorry, folks, the 'Swinging - not such a good move' thread in the Relationships section was right under this one in active convos and I hit the wrong one.

Swine flu is viral and fairly moderate. But I've learned tonight that some STIs are not.

oopsagain Mon 22-Jun-09 22:41:39

wow- that's a good thread, expat.
why aren't it reading that?
swine flu, schwein flu.

it's not so bad for most of us i think.

our school shut last week, opens weds... funny to see that other schools aren't shutting now.

luckily work didn't want me this week, or it would have been a nightmare to sort out childcare for them.

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 22:44:19

I have had swine flu, as have all three of my children, back when they were still testing we were tested.

DD1 was hit pretty hard, and it wasn't the most pleasant of experiences I've had, but tbh I've had seasonal flu twice and it was far worse.

here you go, oops:
relationshipssectionrox

oopsagain Mon 22-Jun-09 22:53:58

thanks expxat- it passes the time smile

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 23:03:22

oh, there are some good ones on there tonight, oops. fetishes, um, and such.

NK48d6979fX122330acfff Tue 30-Jun-09 22:25:16

Im from Glasgow, and got tested yesterday morning and my positive result this morning.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 30-Jun-09 22:37:50

A local school has closed this week, found out today. They did stay open last week with confirmed cases but according to their website had to close this week because of widespread illness. Doesn't give figures though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now