Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can somebody come and reassure me that dd hasnt got swine flu??

(26 Posts)
littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 22:36:09

NHS 24 is only taking urgent calls atm

Dd got sick last sat, very high temps, lethargic kept lying down and napping, horrid cough and has lost her voice (well she still talking but its hoarse and squeaky)

I got sick on wed again high temp, wed night terribly high i was feverish all over body aches nad pains restless legs, very sudden onset but gone quickly too, i just feel wiped out

I keep thinging dd is getting better then she is totally wiped out, she also has a rash on one leg that i though was a suncream reaction but that goes bright red when her temp is high but fades down when it isnt

Took dd to gp on wed who said she had upper respiratory infection, but i then suddenly had the same virus that night and now am over it hmm

ds has also had it

Dragonfly74 Fri 12-Jun-09 22:42:42

She sounds really poorly

I would say if your concerned take her to A+E.

Hope she feels better soon.x

littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 22:53:07

she is ok, she is now eating

but whats stressing me is that i dont really know what it is, and i felt so ill when i had it

but i know the dr wont accept that will they

littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 22:54:53

but i keep reading expats posts and thinking it sounds too similar, if i hadnt read any of that i wouldnt be worried

dh will be in soon so i could but i figure they would palm me off

PerfectPrefect Fri 12-Jun-09 22:57:33

Apparently a SUDDEN rise in temp is one of the main swine flu signs. I belive that it is also accompanied by vomiting.

Thing is that you end up caught between a rock and a hard place. You don't want to be taking someone to A&E if you genuinely think it is swine flu. If you feel she needs to be seen I would go via NHS direct...so you limit contact.

Dragonfly74 Fri 12-Jun-09 23:00:35

How old is she littleducks, Is she old enough to tell you how she's feeling? where she's hurting??

I would seriously hope that if you turned up at A+E with poorly DD they wouldn't palm you off!!

I've taken DS to A+E before if he's been ill and they were very helpful.

littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:01:14

aha vomiting!

we have had no vomiting, none of us, i did briefly feel sick but there was no vomiting!

will be able to sleep tonight then

littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:03:26

dragon

shes 3

with a tendency to perk up insight of drs hmm

and thats what is throwing me, i think she is recoverd she is happy and normal then she lies down and has a high temp again

she says it hurts all over but most in her back and tummy

allthewayhome Fri 12-Jun-09 23:05:02

I think the main thing is to get medical advice if you're at all worried about how she is and how she's doing, whether or not it's swine flu.

Have you got a GP out of hours number as well as NHS direct that you could try?

What did NHS direct say when they said urgent only? I had to ring a couple of weeks ago and it warned of a four-hour waiting time and made it sound like we'd never get through in a million years but we did in the end (not for a flu thing though).

largeginandtonic Fri 12-Jun-09 23:11:43

Could be a UTI if her back and tummy hurt. Take a wee sample in.

Poor thing. Hope she gets better soon.

littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:14:36

phoned nhs nd presses the flu symptoms and apparently will be called back in an hour

im not to worried about her apart from worrying that i may be bein a terrible mother and missing something terrible

Dragonfly74 Fri 12-Jun-09 23:15:28

Oh yes its amazing how a doctors waiting room can bring on a miraculous recovery, making mummy look like a complete liar.blush

Bless em!!

blinks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:16:34

IF SHE STILL HAS THE RASH AND IS UNWELL SHE WOULD BE ASSESSED VERY QUICKLY VIA NHS24. THAT IS ROUTED AS SERIOUS AND URGENT (I WORK THERE).

CALL THEM.

blinks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:17:24

RASH ISN'T A FLU SYMPTOMS.

CALL WITHOUT PRESSING THE OPTIONS TO GET THROUGH TO MAIN NHS24.

littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:21:23

rash comes and goes, well in intensity at least

littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:22:47

is only on one thigh not a whole body ras (like cp)

nurse/health advisor has logged me in now

blinks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:27:25

WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'LOGGED ME IN'?

littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:32:05

logged me in the queue for call back?
is that not the right term?

asked the 'is she lying on the floor unconcious' type questions then said will call back

blinks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:51:20

JUST NOT A TERM I USE.

IF YOU'RE HAPPY TO WAIT FOR A CALL BACK, THAT'S FINE. WAS JUST POINTING OUT THAT THEY ASSESS RASH/UNWELL URGENTLY IN CASE IT'S SERIOUS SO YOU COULD GET HER ASSESSED FASTER IF YOU WANT BY CALLING THE MAIN PHONELINE.

littleducks Fri 12-Jun-09 23:59:07

called back

said to phone out of hours dr in the morning as she is asleep atm

littleducks Sat 13-Jun-09 00:00:13

and thanks for all the advicee on this thread especially blinks its nice to hear 'the other side' of the whole nhs direct thing

blinks Sat 13-Jun-09 00:55:50

hi little ducks- was at work earlier, hence my shouty capitals.

hope she's ok... if the rash blanches and is coming and going it's unlikely to be an emergency.

hopefully she feels better tomorrow.

littleducks Sat 13-Jun-09 10:14:26

so took her to dr this am

absolutely lovely sensible bloke, a paediatrician from childrens ward at hosp

he said to stop giving paracetamol/ibuprofen
and showed me evidence in a medical textbook
and to let the fever serve its purpose and kill the infection

he says to never alterrnate parectamol/ibuprofen fopr a fever under 40 deg as it actually more harmful than good and is unliscensed to be used this way otc for more han 24 hrs

LIZS Sat 13-Jun-09 10:22:48

Sounds similar to what dd has had - horrible cough which has turned into a ear infection and then hives. Hope she feels better soon.

PerfectPrefect Sat 13-Jun-09 12:26:37

Interesting advice there little Ducks.

The fever DOES help fight the infection - and I don't treat a fever below 38. I would be treating above 38 though (and when my DCs have been ill I wasn't allowed to go home from walk-in centre until DD3s temp was stabily below 38.5).

All I am saying is advice varies, and whilst I support the principles I would question teh boundaries (for my own children).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now