Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu and pregnancy. Is anyone else a bit worried?

(16 Posts)
MadamAnt Tue 09-Jun-09 09:53:23

I'm 26 weeks pg and getting a bit worried about the increase in flu cases here in Scotland. Just to clarify, I'm not hysterical about it and I know it's currently no "worse" than regular flu, but until now I didn't realise how serious any type of flu can be for pregnant women. sad

I'm also concerned that my September baby will be so vulnerable during the winter.

<<worryworry>>

MadamAnt Tue 09-Jun-09 10:14:13

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 09-Jun-09 11:21:08

Bumping for you.

If its any consolation, I came into contact with flu at 38 weeks pregnant (a guest was staying with us and had it!) I didn't get it then but I did when dd was a month old. she got it too and whilst it was worrying for us, she got it a lot less bad than we did (I had temp of 105, didn't even have strength to pick her up) dd only had temp of 101. Doctor said that the breastfeeding was a real help.

MadamAnt Tue 09-Jun-09 11:28:08

Thanks BadKitten

HappyTangerine Wed 10-Jun-09 21:18:39

I am a little bit tbh- am 24 weeks pregnant, asthmatic and concerned that baby(due 30 Sept) will be vulnerable. But I try not to dwell on it, by all accounts it seems to be a mild strain in most people. I had "normal flu" for the first time ever in December, even though I'd had the flu jab hmm. I have never felt anything like it, it was awful. I drifted in and out of consciousness for 5 days during which a close relative had an accident and died.I had no recollection of being told, nor of the doctor and various family members visiting. Was weak for ages afterwards.

So, I've put in place stricter hygeine measures etc. Am going to breast feed and make sure the baby gets as many of my antibodies as possible and then just see how I go - I figure if I can survive that December bout of flu, I'll do just fine with this one. I understand your fears though-especially as its always there in the news atm.

MsBrandybuck Wed 10-Jun-09 21:32:19

I'm also worried about this as baby due 23 Sept. DS is supposed to be starting pre-school in September and I'm really hoping he doesn't catch Chickenpox too. I've never had it and DH got it when I was pregnant with DS. I know there are anti-virals that can be given for both but I worry for a pastime.

Thandeka Wed 10-Jun-09 21:42:18

I think worry is sensible as it can make you take precautionary measures. My best friend got flu at 14 weeks and then found out at 16 weeks she had had a missed miscarriage with foetus dying a few days before - so as a result I am terrified of flu- I am only 6weeks though and had a recent missed miscarriage myself (10weeks) so am prone to worry/anxiety/panic etc.

I have a feeling though that the further along you are the more robust the baby will be to deal with an attack of the flu so I'm sure you more advanced ladies will be fine even if a pig sneezes in your face.

xxx

whomovedmychocolate Wed 10-Jun-09 21:53:51

Okay, well I have a baby who has apparently had it according to GP. But we didn't attend to get tested so it's only probable - but we had all the symptoms etc.

Anyway he was recovering from a major viral illness at the time so his immune system was pretty knackered. He was quite ill, but not as ill as he had been previously so we managed him at home.

We had to maintain his temperature at below 39 as he has a history of febrile fits (which are very scary to see but not generally harmful - think of it as a reboot for an overheated system). He was clearly in pain with his limbs and very tired. No food other than breastmilk went into him for eight days. He vomited a lot too. This went on for eight days followed by ten days and general malaise and extreme tiredness.
(you'd think I'd welcome this given he's never slept well hmm).

However, we are now what eight, ten (I don't remember) weeks further on and he's absolutely fine. Yes he's older than your babies would be, but bearing in mind he was a bit undercooked at birth and he'd had this big viral thing which hospitalised him previously, he came out of it very well - much better than I did.

If you do come into contact with this virus, and if you contract it - and this is by no means guaranteed given DH managed to avoid it despite all the rest of us getting it, keep your temperature down above all else, rest and stick with fluids. It's actually not as bad as regular seasonal flu which I had two years ago.

Also the flu season does not start in September AFAIK.

Practice good hygiene and chances are both you and your babies will be fine

MadamAnt Fri 12-Jun-09 08:35:04

Really glad your DS has recovered well, WMMC

Pheebe Fri 12-Jun-09 09:03:37

We had flu when ds2 was 5 weeks old. Me, DH and DS1 were utterly floored with it, never experienced anything like it, it was dreadful. DS2 didn't even get a sneeze! He slept in the same room as us, DH and I took it in turns to feed him (whoever was the least feverish at the time) and the four of us basically spent a week together in one room.

We were absolutely manic about hygiene which may have helped. Hand washing before touching him and we didn't kiss him for a week sad

mummy2many Mon 15-Jun-09 11:51:45

I think as long as you are careful (wash hands often, carry tissues, eat healthily, take any vitamins you are allowed during pregnancy) then you have nothing to worry about. I found this site recently www.swine-flu-help.co.uk it gives information and advice about the swine flu. Hope that helps :-)

Deathworm Mon 15-Jun-09 12:02:30

I had flu in late pregancy (aout 7 months in)and was utterly laid low by it. Really miserable. But key thing is: baby in nutero was totally fine and unaffected.

POB1 Wed 15-Jul-09 00:25:10

Dear All,

Working with the Royal College of Midwives and the Dept of Health, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has produced an information leaflet about swine flu for pregnant women. It's up to date, accurate and (hopefully!) clear and easy to read. The link is:
http://www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/RCOGguidanceH1N1v.pdf

Best wishes,

Pat O'Brien
Obstetric Consultant
University College Hospital,
London

alittleteapot Wed 15-Jul-09 23:27:48

Thanks for that leaflet. I've been told I should take tamiflu if I develop a fever indicative of swine flu (I'm 28 weeks pregnant) because of medical background. A bit concerned about risk to baby of this med - i've been told will be fine but why then is it not universally recommended. any advice?

LeninGrad Thu 16-Jul-09 13:47:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGrad Thu 16-Jul-09 13:52:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now