Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu - Still going to baby groups?

(30 Posts)
digimama Thu 30-Apr-09 09:58:16

What do you think, should I still be taking my 2mnth old to baby groups and baby swimming?

Without over reacting, should I limit the number of people we come into contact with? I'm sure if me or DH got it we would recover but it would be so dangerous for a baby.

What do we think?

ramonaquimby Thu 30-Apr-09 09:59:26

really? are you serious? That is an overreaction in my opinion - haven't you been reading papers or watching the news? This is why people panic.

KingCanuteIAm Thu 30-Apr-09 10:02:56

YA over-reacting to the threat.

Go and do some research on how much of a risk there really is and then think about it again.

foxytocin Thu 30-Apr-09 10:06:45

for some people, MN is research i'm afraid.

frasersmummy Thu 30-Apr-09 10:10:10

another one???

and ..... hide

Flightattendant25 Thu 30-Apr-09 10:13:48

I'd put that on hold for a week or two until we know better the extent of the risk.

I#m cautiously making plans as in 'what if' but for the time being I'd take advantage of it nOT being widespread to do things you might not want to later - iyswim.

expatinscotland Thu 30-Apr-09 10:14:38

What does a 2m old do at babygroups?

I plan to start taking DS to one when he's about 9 months, able to play with toys and pick up rotovirus, but when they're still laying there, what is it they do at baby group?

Flightattendant25 Thu 30-Apr-09 10:15:36

Good point expat. I've always avoided baby groups anyway - hate having to chat to other mums. IRL you understand..

tiredemma Thu 30-Apr-09 10:16:38

This weekend at Tesco...Panic buying for sure.

People stocking up on a years worth of bread and milk so they can 'cocoon' themselves at home.

ZoeC Thu 30-Apr-09 10:17:52

I took dd1 from 12 weeks, but that was because I needed company by then and she would reliably nod off in a bouncy chair next to me and I got a cup of tea and a chat!

Much more civilised than when she grew up into a biscuit-thief that had to be watched every second to prevent her upsetting other (sometimes bigger) toddlers by stealing their biscuits off them blush

But as to OP, I wouldn't stop going anywhere at the moment.

tiredemma Thu 30-Apr-09 10:19:15

I remember going to a playgroup as a first yeat student nurse with my mentor, who was a health visitor.
Expat makes a valid point- most of the babies were lay on the floor staring at the ceiling while their mothers talked about what they were cooking for their husbands dinner.

expatinscotland Thu 30-Apr-09 10:19:38

'This weekend at Tesco...Panic buying for sure.'

Oh, definitely! I'm headed to one in about an hour here . . . because our only excuse for a supermarket around here is shutting on 6 May for twelve weeks to become a Morrison's.

There will be only a dinky Co-Op.

KingRolo Thu 30-Apr-09 10:21:33

Only if the baby groups and swimming are in Mexico digimama.

tiredemma Thu 30-Apr-09 10:22:03

You need to stock up then. Like a Bear at Yellowstone, preparing for the winter. wink

Flightattendant25 Thu 30-Apr-09 10:23:07

If you read the NHS choices advice, it says you ought to have two weeks worth of supplies in hand, in case you are ill and unable to go out.

I think if you did have flu it would be socially responsible to stay put, therefore having a small stockpile is sensible and public spirited.

Buying up the whole of nettos is not quite the same.

I bought a fair few tins yesterday, I don't normally do a big shop and people were actually looking at me a bit funny - despite the fact it was just a normal trolley full of random stuff. Or maybe I imagined that.

wannaBe Thu 30-Apr-09 10:24:00

"I'm sure if me or DH got it we would recover but it would be so dangerous
for a baby." If you or dh got it then she would most likely get it anyway, so keeping her home would achieve what exactly?

Unless you are both planning to stay at home and not leave the house until any risk has gone then keeping your baby away from people will achieve nothing.

digimama Thu 30-Apr-09 10:43:53

Hiya,

Thanks for your replies, I was hoping I was over reacting.

ramon I have been watching the news, that is why I am bothered!!

Expat The baby group I go to is the local one run by the HV's, it means that I can weigh her on their scales without having to go to the clinic and I can meet other mums in the area as I don't know many people here. Although DD doesn't do much whilst we're there it has been really useful to meet other mums, get their advice on things etc. Without having any family anywhere nearby and only knowing a few people in the area the babygroup has been great.

wannabe What I meant about me or DH getting it is that if it were just us I wouldn't be bothered but now that we have her I am.
I am on mat leave so can easily stay in a bit more and DH can work from home if he wanted. Statistically, reducing the number of people you have contact with will reduce the risk of transmission. I'm not saying I will cocoon myself in the house or anything, just wondering if it might be sensible to avoid big group situations.

digimama Thu 30-Apr-09 10:48:35

foxytocin Don't judge people too quickly, I have a masters in analytical science - I know how to research. I just wanted a quick straw poll on other mums views, mostly to reassure myself that I don't need to panic.

foxytocin Thu 30-Apr-09 10:52:20

what is wrong with saying mn is research for some people. it was the start for me when i was looking for info to fire at my midwife and consultant about home births.

don't immediately assume that i am insulting someone by saying mn is research. wink

digimama Thu 30-Apr-09 10:56:16

foxytocin In context, following KingCanuteIam's reply and by using the italics and adding 'I'm afraid' at the end the negative tone (I felt) was very clear.

foxytocin Thu 30-Apr-09 11:40:54

from a researcher's pov what is so wrong is saying that I'm afraid that mn is some people's idea of research. surely you know that is how some people are. no need to defend your stance to me or any other internet sprite. smile

digimama Thu 30-Apr-09 11:57:53

foxy I wasn't commenting on the content of what you said, more the tone. If you didn't intend it to have a negative tone then fair enough but I think that if you look back at the context and how it was written most people would have taken that as a negative comment.

clayre Thu 30-Apr-09 12:02:44

I'm too worried about the mumps, chicken pox and tonsilitis going around the dc school and nursery to worry about swine flu!!

Who ever mentioned panic buying at tesco i think theres some truth in that, i tried to book my weekly slot for tomorrow and couldnt get a slot, tried sainsburys but they were fully booked, asda was fine thou!!

digimama Thu 30-Apr-09 12:28:27

clayre I worry about that too, maybe I just worry too much...

foxytocin Thu 30-Apr-09 12:36:35

cases of scarlet fever have risen recently. the practice nurse at my gp surgery said they have to refer all suspected cases to hospital.

if you worry about everything out there you'd become agoraphobic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now