Advanced search

Pregnant, should I get jab?

(4 Posts)
avaj Thu 27-Jan-11 21:54:54

I am 7 weeks pg, and my G.P suggested that I should consider the swine flu vaccine today. I'm not sure what to do, as I hate the idea of having any drugs (esp new ones) while I am pg. However I wouldn't want to put myself at risk, as I have 2 other DC's to think about.
Also I have had 2 miscarriages, and would hate to increase the risk of another because of a drug I might not need.
Any advice?!

KirstyJC Thu 27-Jan-11 22:00:13

I had mine yesterday, although I am 31 weeks PG so a lot further along than you. I had bad flue before Xmas but decided to have the jab anyway as it protects against different strains of flu, not just SF.

I did wonder if it would be worth it, since flu season is passing, but I went ahead with it and am happy that I did. My arm hurt a little last night and this morning but otherwise I am fine.

I did find when I had flu I couldn't do anything - luckily DS1 was at school and DS2 at nursery so I didn't have to. If you would have to look after 2 kids if you got ill, maybe it is worth it?

KirstyJC Thu 27-Jan-11 22:00:43

Flu not flue. D'oh!blush

MsPaintbrush Fri 28-Jan-11 14:17:15

I think you have to go with your true gut feeling, you know in your heart what you feel is right. No one can tell you what the right thing to do is because there is no right or wrong answer. Some people definately would, others definately wouldn't.

I've been in the same position, although at 16 weeks still have not been offered it.In a way that makes it slightly easier but obviously am still confronted with frightening news stories and signs all over antinatal clinic which make you continue to question your descision.

Before I was pregnant I felt I definately wouldn't have it (friends did last year and their babies appear fine). My feeling was even the manufacturers cannot guarantee there would be no long term effects to the foetus as these studies have not taken place, but they don't have immediate reason to believe there could be. It's difficult because what we are told is safe or absolutely the right thing to do at one time are then told it's not later on.

Even peoples personal experience of having the vaccination varies enormously from just a sore arm to they would never have it again.

It's all the more of a worry when you have others to care for and who rely on you. I've gone with my gut feeling but still worry and desperately hope we are all ok. If I had had the vaccination however, I would still have worried about any long term implications. I think if I had been offered it in October and knew what was going to happen over the winter it would have made the decision much harder.

I believe that if people base their decision on what they feel is right at the time, then that is the correct thing to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: