Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is the jab working

(8 Posts)
Ghekogiddy Thu 13-Jan-11 19:06:06

It would seem that at least seven people out of the deaths actually had their flu jab. Is it just not taking in some people. I thought if you had the jab and still caught it you would get a milder version?

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 13-Jan-11 19:15:53

It is something that has struck me too. I suppose they could be immunocompromised patients and that is why it wasnt effective in them?

Also striking is figure 9 on the latest report

Ghekogiddy Thu 13-Jan-11 19:54:17

Very interesting report, seems the worst is yet to come in Scotland.

Jammygal Thu 13-Jan-11 20:12:51

How do you interpret that worse is to come in Scotland Ghekogiddy? I've tried to work it out and can't confused

bubbleymummy Thu 13-Jan-11 20:31:55

There is no way of knowing if you would have had a mild case even without the vaccine. No one knows how each individual will cope with flu. The 'milder version' line is trying to sugar coat vaccine failure - if it had worked you shouldn't have gotten sick. Surely everyone knows that vaccines aren't 100% effective? I think the flu vaccine is around 70-80% effective for adults under 65 - less for over 65s and children ( according to some studies). interesting link

Ghekogiddy Thu 13-Jan-11 22:19:19

We have not reached our peak yet jammy and figures still rising. England will reach their peak before us.

Jammygal Thu 13-Jan-11 22:29:33

Thanks for your reply Gheko ;)

bethan37 Fri 14-Jan-11 16:00:36

Not sure, my pregnant friend currently in hospital waiting the results of a swine flu test even though she had the jab....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: