Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Where can I get the vaccine for DS? (Beds)

(13 Posts)
duende Wed 12-Jan-11 20:38:54

My DS is 17 months old and in nursery. I really, really want him to have the flu vaccine but our surgery won't offer it to us as he has no underlying conditions. I have rang most chemists in the area but nobody has it in stock.
Does anyone know how/ where I could get one, please?

londonmackem Wed 12-Jan-11 20:39:56

I don't think you can as pharmacists are not licensed to give it to under 5's. Private clinic?

duende Wed 12-Jan-11 20:47:26

Private clinic as in i.e. BUPA? I think the main problem is that nobody in our area seems to have any in stock and all the pharmacists are telling me they are not expecting any more these season

dikkertjedap Wed 12-Jan-11 20:54:01

Dr Raymond Brown, he works at Chiltern Hospital and the private outpatients clinic in John Radcliffe's children hospital in Oxford. Not cheap, but we decided to do anyway as we couldn't find anyone else except Portland Hospital London.

duende Wed 12-Jan-11 21:03:52

dikkertjedap, thank you so much for this info. I will give them a ring tomorrow, hopefully they are still doing it.

Do I ring the hospital and ask about the vaccine or do I ask to speak to his secretary...?

And can I ask how much it is? (Though I'll probably pay whatever they charge anyway, tbh.)

dikkertjedap Wed 12-Jan-11 21:21:50

07717 221869 for his secretary. You need to give your child's age because he will then pick up the vaccine at the Portland Hospital where he also works.

dikkertjedap Wed 12-Jan-11 21:22:56

I don't know how much he charges as I didn't ask and haven't been invoiced yet. But Portland Hospital charges about £200 for general health check and vaccination.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 12-Jan-11 21:23:40

Manor Hospital Oxford will do it for £15 a jab (kids need two).

duende Wed 12-Jan-11 21:45:53

thank you so much lovely ladies!
will get on the phone tomorrow morning.

duende Thu 13-Jan-11 12:14:23

dikkertjedap, dr brown can't get hold of the vaccine now

cecebloom Thu 13-Jan-11 14:00:09

I went to Medicentre in Victoria station LONDON they were the only place I could find that had vaccine and were vaccinating children
hope it helps
x

TCOB Thu 13-Jan-11 14:08:33

Just bought two for DS (7) and DD (6 months) - our doctor has written a private prescription so we pick up the vaccines and she will administer them. It was from Asda in Coventry - only place within 50 miles of the Cotswolds I could get it? Do you have any nearby?

duende Thu 13-Jan-11 20:18:16

Thank you for your help everyone. I have now found a place in Hitchin where we can get vaccinated, booked in for next Wednesday. Just need to keep my fingers crossed DS doesn't pikc up any germs before then.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now