Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any 'Healthy People' had the jab?

(22 Posts)
Lynnejh Wed 12-Jan-11 11:57:45

DH was offered his through work and i am thinking of getting myself and DS done(9 years old)

I am not high risk to be offered on NHS but am the sole carer and panicking if i do get it with no friends/family around to help.

Part me thinks go for it and get us both done but feel guilty with the NHS shortage.

Any 'Healthy' adults and children had the vacine?

bubbleymummy Wed 12-Jan-11 12:21:59

We haven't and wouldn't. ( me, DH and two DSs)

Littlepumpkinpie Wed 12-Jan-11 12:39:32

I had mine last october and do so every year. I work in a shop and serve the sickly general public who cough and splutter at me all the time. Its hard to avoid to for me I have it done at the start of flu season.
This year I paid to have my DCs done privatly because they are under 16 one travels via public transport daily.
I and the eldest DD(20years old) had ours in Tesco. Dh had his done at the surgery and I paid £50 each for my boys to get it done. Only Dh is the one that needed it the rest of us are HEALTHY.

Imarriedafrog Wed 12-Jan-11 12:41:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elibean Wed 12-Jan-11 13:47:06

Yes, but I had it done ages ago - pre shortages (in fact, major surpluses as take-up was so low at the time).

All of my family bar me have asthma - didn't want to bring it home and infect them. Also, I had (necessary/NHS recommended) seasonal flu jabs for years because of liver disease - don't have the disease anymore, but appreciated being flu-free, tbh.

Elibean Wed 12-Jan-11 13:47:32

I think 'sole carer' would make me want to do it, too.

PassionKiss Wed 12-Jan-11 13:47:58

I really wanted to get DD (8 months) done but my Doctor said that they weren't doing under-fives and nowhere on the high street will do children so I got myself jabbed as I thought it would be worse if we both came down with it at once and also I am hoping that it will afford DD some protection as I am still breastfeeding her.

I don't feel guilty as I did pay for it!

lifeistooshort Wed 12-Jan-11 14:37:36

I had me, DH, DD 5 and DS 2.5 all done last week in Cardiff. Had to travel an hours to get there and of course if was done privately but I am so glad I got it done especially in the light of that poor little 3 year old who died of it. My only worry is that the baby 5.5 months was too young to get jabbed.

I felt like perhaps I was panicking/overreacting but it has given me peace of mind and should something happen for the worse, I would know that I have tried everything I could to protect my family. They are also all on vitamins and sambucol.

MinnieMummy Wed 12-Jan-11 14:41:17

Yes I had it today! I was in seeing the nurse for a pre-coil-fitting swab (fun) and asked if it would be ok to have it this year seeing as I had the SF jab last year - and I told her I was intending to go to Boots and pay for it. She said 'Oh, I've got some here, I can do it now for you if you like' - no big issue, saved me £20.

Not only do I work freelance but we have 3 DCs and the idea of coming down with it...

dikkertjedap Wed 12-Jan-11 14:44:33

DH had it, no side effects whatsoever and he did have swine flu (confirmed) in Summer 09. I still haven't managed to have it (asthma) as I now have a chest infection. DD had it but suffered a bad chest infection a few days later so vaccine probably won't work as her body probably hasn't build up enough antibodies in response to vaccine due to serious chest infection. At the moment, all three of us feel quite ill - all with chest infection.

By all means go for the vaccine, I wouldn't be too worried about side effects of the combined seasonal flu jab (I had side effects to the single swine flu jab and dd as well), but flu is only one of the nasties you can get, don't get so flu focused that you won't in time recognise other (bacterial) things like tonsillitis, ear infection in young children, chest infection, etc.

Good luck with your decision.

lexxity Wed 12-Jan-11 14:46:03

I paid to have me and DS1 done. I am breastfeeding DS2 so he should get some protection. Had DS1 done because a little girl in his class has already had SF. DS1 was hospitalised last winter and I am not going through that again.

tholeon Wed 12-Jan-11 16:06:15

had myself done in boots as DS is in a vulnerable group. He had his NHS jab in the autumn but it is not foolproof and I wanted to minimise the chances of my catching it and giving it to him. plus am about to start fertility treatment and wanted to have it done before (hopefully...) becoming pg.

bubbleymummy Wed 12-Jan-11 16:14:05

dikker why did your DH get vaxed if he's already immune to swine flu from having it last year? Does he normally get the seasonal flu jab?

VivaLeBeaver Wed 12-Jan-11 16:16:12

I've had it done as I'm a midwife. We've been told that we should have it done as otherwise we risk spreading it to pregnant women. There's also the fact that we are now getting pregnant women with swine flu admitted to the ward. One shift last week I was the only midwife who'd had the jab so volunteered to look after her. I wouldn't want to risk getting it from a woman and taking it home with me/passing it on to my dad who's having chemo or my kids.

SammEC Wed 12-Jan-11 16:20:23

Me and my dd 18 are going for ours tonight, I just feel that as mu partner has chronic asthma and I also have a 2 year old, I need to protect all my family and that includes me, who will be the one looking to them if they get ill, who will look after them if I can't. If you can get it get it i say, you have to taek care of your own family they are number 1!

lexxity Thu 13-Jan-11 10:24:58

After seeing the pictures of that poor little girl on the news this morning, I know I did the right thing. Her first hospital was the one I recently gave birth in.

If you can get it, then get it I say.

PyjamaLlama Thu 13-Jan-11 12:23:38

I have booked myself, DD and DH to get it done and we do not have any health issues. I know what you mean about feeling guilty due NHS shortages but if you are having jab done at private clinic you are not using NHS stock. Not having it done would not be helping the NHS shortage situation in any way. I was also really shocked about the little girl in the news this morning. Her poor family.

MumInBeds Thu 13-Jan-11 12:28:57

I haven't but I have been tempted to as I work with under 5s and I'd feel awful if I infected a child in my care, but then with the shortages it doesn't feel right to have it.

I feel that boat has now sailed and it is a bit late to get it done now anyway.

Iggly Thu 13-Jan-11 12:33:45

Yep but only last week. missed getting it at work in November as was off sick.

I got it because I have a 15 month DS and he doesn't qualify. I'm still BF him so would hope to protect him that way if he did get it. He did have a nasty possibly flu infection in November so maybe he's had it already. Ended up with asthma type viral induced wheezing but not diagnosed formally (so every cough and cold since he's needed an inhaler). So I worry about him getting it.

lucybrad Thu 13-Jan-11 16:07:58

my DH had it, Myself and DS's had it but we have asthma. I asked Doctor for it for DH who is healthy. Dont feel bad about it. I have a three week old and cant be doing with DH having the flu as well, plus healthy people can die from it as much as sick or old people, and sick and old people have had since october/ november to get the jab.

AlaskaHQ Thu 13-Jan-11 19:48:10

I had it back in October at Sainsburys - before the shortage. Kids had it privately back then as well, as we had just moved back from USA (where flu jabs are standard for kids and I was still on "USA Mummy" mode ... ie of course DS & DD must have the jab).

Husband can get it free through work, but I don't think he has had it. He tends to be pretty healthy anyway, so I've not nagged him over it.

DD has history of wheezing and asthma-like symptoms, and two inhalers, but didn't qualify for NHS one through our GP, which is why I took the kids privately.

nowwearefour Thu 13-Jan-11 20:18:56

my work offers seasonal flu vaccine every year and after having real flu a few years ago i have taken up the offer every year since. including this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now