Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Schools oblivious to swine flu guidelines

(7 Posts)
Ghekogiddy Thu 06-Jan-11 09:31:46

Hi

It would seem that schools have no guidelines when it comes to this swine flu epidemic. I telephoned mine this morning and they have nothing to follow. Most of the time parents put children to my DH school ill to spread it among everyone so it is worrying that a child not too ill with it could be sitting in class coughing and sneezing and then smit another child who may end up in hospital. Anyone coughing or sneezing at the moment should be sent home i think.

foxinsocks Thu 06-Jan-11 09:33:38

you can have a cold and cough and sneeze

doesn't mean flu

moonmother Thu 06-Jan-11 09:34:57

First Day back at Dc's schools yesterday, and hey sent a letter home last night.

The letter is asking parents to keep their children off if ill with flu symptoms until they are fully recovered.

They have asked that every child is sent in with a small bottle of anti bacterial handgel.

That if any child shows flu like symptoms during school then they will be sent home straight away.

To be honest I think thats the only way the schools can stay open and try to stop it spreading.

Ghekogiddy Thu 06-Jan-11 10:09:11

Well done your school moon, thats fab, pity mine isnt like that. A cough and sneeze doesnt mean flu no, but at the moment it probably does and every child is affected differently. Your child may go to school with just a cough and a sneeze and then give it to another child who ends up in hospital.

bubbleymummy Thu 06-Jan-11 12:14:29

Gheko, no, a cough and a sneeze does not probably mean flu at the moment. It's winter and plenty of people have colds. I think you're over reacting a bit.

gleechie Thu 06-Jan-11 17:16:35

Your school sounds very sensible imo Moon, my DD's school has the stick your head in the sand approach hmm

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jan-11 17:55:30

last year dds school approach was to deny any existence of flu in the school, despite me specifically saying I needed to know so I could be proactive with dds asthma meds. Even when dd went down with something suspiciously flu like the secretary told me over the phone 'its not swine flu' hmm - well it may not have been but it what ever it was was enough to cause dds asthma to flare severely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now