Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Son screaming all night- 39degrees regular

(8 Posts)
otherhalf Thu 06-Jan-11 07:59:51

Three days in a row now where our son suddenly hits a temperature of 39degrees. We've managed this with Calpol and Nurofen and he's seen the Doctor who says 'Viral'.

Now the fourth and hes just woken up kicking his legs and really arching his back - unconsollable.

Is there anything else we can do? GP checked his ears (ear drum in one is still red from an earlier infection) and his throat is red).

However circa 4 times a day he suddenly hits 39degrees, feet and hands cool then he burns up.

Apart from Calpol and Nurofen is there a next stage?

Its really soul-destroying witnessing this

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jan-11 08:49:38

how old is he?

Ghekogiddy Thu 06-Jan-11 09:25:36

I would get him checked out again just for peace of mind if anything. Viral can be anything including the flu.

comewhinewithme Thu 06-Jan-11 09:30:12

My dc had similar to this over Xmas.It was really really awful and heartbreaking to see.
I think a lot of Mum's on here have had a similar bug there is a massive thread on it somewhere.
I just got plenty of fluids down them and kept up meds.
Hope he gets over it quickly .

Jammygal Thu 06-Jan-11 11:22:05

Keep him cool eg cotton sheet rather than duvets etc....give him loads to drink, frozen juice lollies, icecubes.....keep an eye on temp and try to dose him when it begins to climb again so it never peaks....(provided you keep an eye on how much you are giving him!)
If you are still worried take him back to docs....try a different gp in the practice if you can..listen to your intuition ...if you think he's not improving...have him reexamined.

jaypn2010 Thu 06-Jan-11 12:41:06

Please take him to A&E. Once the A&E doctor sees the baby, they will call for paediatric team ti review. The only problem is you need to wait for-a-while there.

toeragsnotriches Sat 08-Jan-11 08:47:17

If you take him to A and E (as I did with DS1 before Xmas - meningitis like symptoms tho who know it could have been swine flu) they weigh them and work out the actual definite maximum amount of paracetamol/ibu you can give them. By following the amounts on the packet for his age, I was only giving him half the maximum amount!

My friend is a paediatric nurse and tells me you can only continue to dose them like this for 3 days because prolonged frequent (every 3/4 hours) of the maximum dose can cause kidney damage.

Receiving this maximum dose made a big difference to how comfortable DS1 felt. And probably speeded his recovery as he could sleep, drink and even eat a little as he felt more human!

Your poor DS and poor you. I hope things improve soon.

Marne Sun 09-Jan-11 09:25:45

Your poor DS (and you), dd1 (6) is on day 2 and its very upstting watching her sad, she aches all over and has a very high temp, we are giving calpol and nurofen but its not helping with the aches and is barely touching the temp. I am going out to get more calpol in a bit and will ask if there is anything else i can give her but i think its a case of riding it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now