Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ds refused injection

(33 Posts)
OsbegaEthewulf Wed 05-Jan-11 19:22:45

ds aged 6 has mild asthma and was booked in for swine flu vaccination. He went into meltdown at the surgery and screamed the place down- the nurse (who is wonderful) regretfully told us she couldn't not inject hims as he was thrashing around and scared. Tried again last week and reaction was just the same.s

What can I do now? I'm getting myself into a right state reading about children and young people dying- the latest one having asthma- and I'm scaring myself

claireybear82 Wed 05-Jan-11 19:24:10

hes 6. he cant "refuse" he can only kick up a fuss. personally id make his life hell until he has it. no treats no nothing. but then im a bit of a cow. bribary always works as well.

marlowwills Wed 05-Jan-11 19:24:29

Couldn't you or your dh put him in a bear hug while the nurse gives the injection?

herbietea Wed 05-Jan-11 19:25:53

Message withdrawn

ScarlettWalking Wed 05-Jan-11 19:30:14

The nurse is right she can't inject him if he is that distressed. No possiblity of bear hugs or anything like that it is simply too risky for the needle entry.

You have to convince him to do it. What do you think would make him do it?

flamingtoaster Wed 05-Jan-11 19:30:19

My daughter was needle phobic due to having been on a drip for five days on three occasions before she was 4. She used to put her head under a cushion if anyone on TV was holding a needle.

The only way I could think of to get her pre-school boosters done was to tell her she needed to have an injection to keep her safe and that if she was very brave I would line up five of her favourite treats on the desk and when it was over she could eat them all (an unheard of treat!). Our doctor was very understanding and we lined up the treats on his desk, she sat on my knee with me holding her very, very firmly and talking about the treats and it was over in no time. Bribery might be worth a try - with the first treat being for not screaming, second treat being for sitting on your knee, etc.

Ghekogiddy Wed 05-Jan-11 19:44:21

In a stern bear hug is the way. I used to have to do this. There is a way you can hold them so they can't move. Also offer a reward in return for being good and having the injection.

Dumbledoresgirl Wed 05-Jan-11 19:51:51

My asthmatic son is the same way when it comes to needles. He is 13. Last year, he didn't have the jab as I thought he might have already had swine flu. The year before, he kicked up a fuss but submitted eventually and didn't actually find the injection too bad (his words). The year before that (so he was 10) he went with dh and behaved just as your son did. Dh bear hugged him and the nurse got on with it.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I think that is what you have to do if you are that worried about him having the jab. You are the adult, he is the child. You know best.

Elibean Wed 05-Jan-11 20:26:34

My asthmatic now 7yr old dd also had a needle phobia (after a botched anaesthesia experience in the back of her hand). Last year (when she was your ds's age) she screamed the place down, and dh left with her un-jabbed.

I had a long talk with her, told her I understood that she was very scared, that she couldn't help it, but that fear was just a feeling in her body and that she did need the injection to protect her. I told her we were going to do it, and she would have chocolate as soon as it was done (and some to hold in her hand while it was being done, and some in her mouth if that helped!). She still cried and shook when it came to it, but she came - and part of her understood and was willing. We had agreed with Reception to take her straight in to the nurse's room, the nurse had the vaccine ready straight away, and was very fast. I held her firmly, but she wasn't fighting much.

This year, it was a lot, lot, lot easier. Wishing you luck!

Elibean Wed 05-Jan-11 20:44:25

Meant to say - I'm sure it depends on the child/situation, but in dd's case repeatedly telling her it was ok for her to be scared, but only a feeling, and that I understood and would get her through it (and that having the jab was non-negotiable) were the key.

What helped me get her through was the thought that the messages she would get by either a) being forced in a traumatic, non-compassionate way or b) learning that screaming = getting her own way were both unacceptable. It was a real toughie though, and I don't know what the answer is with your ds - just hope some of this helps!

Jammygal Wed 05-Jan-11 20:51:57

I would try bribery.....tell him he can take a cuddly etc and think about what an appropriate reward would be.....;)

Maisiethemorningsidecat Wed 05-Jan-11 20:52:46

I'd sit down with him and explain very calmly and clearly in great detail why he is classed as high risk, and what could happen to him if he doesn't get it. I'd then explain that although I understand that he doesn't like needles, it is one small needle - far less than he would face if he ended up in ITU. I'd then explain that he will be getting the injection because mummy loves him too much for him not to have it, then go shopping for a treat which will be his the minute he has the injection. Popping chocolate in his mouth the moment the needle goes in may also help! Our practice nurse had my DS lying down for his after he had a bad reaction to the seasonal flu jab last year, bought on by stress (that was a scary moment) - might that help? She got him to slow his breathing and focus.

If that fails, I'd be tempted to go down the bearhug route too - but would prefer not to if I didn't have to. Good luck smile

Jammygal Wed 05-Jan-11 20:53:36

I would try bribery.....tell him he can take a cuddly etc and think about what an appropriate reward would be.....;)

DarrellRivers Wed 05-Jan-11 20:55:59

A South African anaesthetist used to say to children whilst brandishing a large cannula
'I can put this in your hand or in your eye, which would you rather?'

He said they opted for the former.

Not really suggesting this tbh, you may need to speak to nurse too, speed is of the essence, so firm hold and then quick jab

Notquitegrownup Wed 05-Jan-11 21:03:31

Can he take a teddy, who has an injection first, if the nurse is prepared to do it? Hopefully seeing how quick it is for teddy might help?

My ds2 was also very frightened and tried to refuse to get in the car to go. I too used a mixture of sternness - it has to be done, and we are going, now - along with bribery. He was allowed to buy a small toy which he desparately wanted on the way, to take in with him - that got him there - and then we discussed how the injection wouldn't take long, but that I would count during the injection and that he would get treats. He loves football cards, so I counted out "one pack of football cards, two packs of football cards . . . "

We talked about how long it would take and that I would probably get to three - three whole packs! I kept him focusing on the treats rather than the injection, so when she was getting the needle ready, I kept talking about the cards, who he thought might be in them, how many shineys etc.

HTH. Best of luck

OsbegaEthewulf Thu 06-Jan-11 09:06:50

Thank you for all your helpful and kind replies; DS will be 7 in March and a strong, solid big lad for his age. However he is extremly sensitive child (hates loud noises and clinical settings and has a huge needle phobia) Neither I or my husband could hold him still enough for the injection and the nurse was afraid it would snap off in his arm as he was thrashing about so much. She classed it as assault if we tied him up as offered!

Bribery and withdrawal of treats etc doesn't work on him and when I talked to him about the injection last night he ended up hysterical- I'm not talking about a few tears here but an out an out meltdown.

He has his asthma review next week so will discuss with nurse. Getting his cuddly rabbit "Rabbitty" to have a needle first might help along with lollies in his gob. My husband thinks I am panicking unnecessarily but I keep thinking of the worse case scenario fuelled by media.

I've picked the wrong time to give up wine!!

Elibean Thu 06-Jan-11 11:21:42

Ahh, poor lad - he sounds terrified. FWIW, dd also had utter meltdowns when I talked to her about it. But we got there in the end. Good luck, hope Rabbitty helps!

stressedbutluvem Thu 06-Jan-11 11:45:58

took our two youngest in January - 5 and 2 at the time. 5 year old threw himself on the floor the minute we walked in.(yuk yuk yuk) Hubby literally just knelt on him and asked the GP to get on with it which in fairness she did.(still gave him the sweets afterwards) Have been a nurse for many years myself and wrapped many a child up in blankets and curled my legs and arms around them to allow the doctors to retrieve things from noses and ears which is risky if they are not still but sometimes it just has to be done.Not ideal but sometimes a must. Just wish I could do the same with 16 yr old DD!

jamieoliverfan Thu 06-Jan-11 14:15:06

Poor you, what a difficult situation. I second the previous posters - first and foremost try to explain in simple details but with detail if necessary why it is so important - he is old enough to understand. On top I would give him a nice present and tell him in advance that he will get that as a reward for having the vaccination. Ideally, get the present in advance and have it there for him to look at whilst getting the vaccination. Also, doctors can use a kind of gel to numb the area before putting the needle in and if you give something sweet (chocolate, jelly beans etc) it will make the pain less (I know sounds odd but was found out in treatment of babies). I hope you manage as he may need other vaccinations in future so it is something to be addressed.

gerardway Thu 06-Jan-11 16:20:03

My son is now 18 years old and asthmatic. He has alway been needle phobic and still is. He is booked in for his jab (after lots of rowing and pleading from him not to have it). We will be using a technique called EFT which is wonderful. It keeps him calm for a while. I wouldn't have believed it possible but a friend recommended someone and it worked!!!

Elibean Thu 06-Jan-11 16:51:28

gerardway, I think my neice (now 30!) had this last year. She was very needle phobic, which is a problem for her - she could grit her teeth and go ahead when needed, but would always faint/feel ill etc. She has spina bifida and needs increasingly frequent tests and interventions, so needle phobia was not helpful!

She found it brilliant too, and is much better at coping now - though needles are not her favourite things. Not sure it would be doable with a 6 yr old though??

gerardway Thu 06-Jan-11 17:41:34

We used the EFT method on our daughter when she was 8 years old for a blood test. I'm glad your niece is coping better. I would advise anyone to try it - there is nothing to lose.

corblimeymadam Thu 06-Jan-11 18:21:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OsbegaEthewulf Thu 06-Jan-11 18:36:04

what is EFT?

ShoppingDays Thu 06-Jan-11 19:01:22

How would you feel about requesting a mild sedative for your son to get him through the injection?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now