Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swine flu jab...yes or no?

(28 Posts)
kazzief Wed 05-Jan-11 16:14:25

Hi im now 21 weeks pregnant and due to have the flu jab on monday but am still seriously undecided as to the safety of it for the unborn baby! What does everyone think and have you had it done?

TheFoosa Wed 05-Jan-11 16:16:35

have it done

it's safe

Julezboo Wed 05-Jan-11 16:20:44

I just had mine done today. I couldnt cope with flu on top of my prgnancy niggles and there has been no reported risk to me or baby from having the jab, I have however heard of woman being delivered early/dying from getting swine flu!

EauRouge Wed 05-Jan-11 16:23:29

I'm 34 weeks and I had it done a few weeks ago. No side effects other than a sore arm for a day. I'm not worried about my unborn child, there is no evidence to show it's harmful and I personally know a couple of women that had it done last year and their babies are fine (anecdotal I know but it made me feel better!).

Now when I watch the news I just feel relieved that I've got some protection against it.

KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 05-Jan-11 16:26:40

I have had it - made up my mind after reading the web chat with the prof of immunology.

Feel okay, bit tired though, and my arm is quite tender.

KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 05-Jan-11 16:27:28

Sorry should clarify I had it this morning.

Julezboo Wed 05-Jan-11 16:30:23

Should have said Im 34 weeks pregnant too.

Ghekogiddy Wed 05-Jan-11 17:00:35

If i was pregnant i would defo have it done but i get it done anyway.

I think the benefits definitely outweigh the risks by far. If you caught swine flu there would be a huge risk to you and your baby.

Yup get it done, you will be fine.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 05-Jan-11 17:06:14

I would have it done.

HPA guidance on the subject.

bubbleymummy Wed 05-Jan-11 17:41:06

I'm not pregnant but I wouldn't have it done. Friend is a doctor and pregnant and she hasn't had it either.

SemperEadem Wed 05-Jan-11 17:43:03

Had it done 2 weeks ago and only effect was a sore arm (and I was full of cold when I had it doen too)

SemperEadem Wed 05-Jan-11 17:43:26

Am 35 weeks - whoops!

irishqueen Wed 05-Jan-11 18:19:11

32 weeks and spiked today> not sore ... feel fine and nurse said I may feel at bit peaky for a few days!

Jammygal Wed 05-Jan-11 21:00:55

I had it done today....dd is having hers tomorrow ;)

phonix Wed 05-Jan-11 23:07:20

Massive dilemma, I'm in two minds about it still, so far DH and DC have been vaccinated. We figured this way the immediate risk to me is also slightly smaller than otherwise. I too have a very conscientious family doctor and other medical professionals around me, and none of them recommend the SF jab for pregnant women. Simply because they still don't know enough about the long-term side effects on baby. Plus, under normal circumstances, your 9 month of carrying a baby is certainly not the time to administer any kind of medication and/or vaccination.

nervousteacher Thu 06-Jan-11 13:09:26

I agree it is a difficult one...I'm 30 weeks and due to have the jab tomorrow but I am quite undecided. I don't tend to suffer from colds/flu normally and don't want to run the risk of intorducing it into my system (or maybe this is me being very ignorant and not understand how a vaccine works??). I have to agree that although they say it is perfectly safe it has not been around long enough for there to be any long term results from studies. My partner thinks I should defintiely get it and the midwife recommended it, but I am still not sure!

Guacamole Thu 06-Jan-11 13:15:22

I had it last year when pregnant with DS... I cried when they gave it to me because I was scared of it harming my baby. But my Dr was amazingly supportive, discussed it with me in great detail. I never caught the flu and DS turned out perfect. Go and get it done!

LoveRedShoes Thu 06-Jan-11 19:18:49

I'm recovering from Swine Flu and pneumonia and was previously very healthy. Have had flu before and this was 100 times worse. The problem is, you never know how bad you will be if you get it. I can't imagine what might have happened to me if I had been pregnant.
I was pg last year and chose not to have it as I had fears of harming the baby, and the vaccine was relatively young. Knowing what I know now, I would have it in a flash.

GaribaldiGirl Thu 06-Jan-11 20:30:41

in my first 3 pregnancies i didn't have a flu jab and got normal flu every time and then got very run down, had bronchitis/tonsillitis/ear infections. i had to have serious antibiotics for the bronchitis or i think i might have been dangerously ill. it was miserable. in my experience it's very hard to fight stuff off when you're pregnant and even worse if you already have children and can't rest much. so in my last 2 pregnancies i had the jab, paid for it privately, and it made a huge difference - got the odd cold but nothing worse. i had the swine flu jab while breastfeeding my last baby (last year). this christmas all my 5 children have had flu one after the other (plus husband). i think it was swine flu, they had really high temperatures and it's taken them ages to shake it off. as i got up in the night to administer calpol/neurofen for them i was so incredibly glad i was well myself! i don't know how we'd have coped if i'd got it too.
if i was pregnant now i'd have the jab.

phonix Thu 06-Jan-11 20:49:56

Finally had it done today. Felt very tearful during the procedure, but feel slightly better about it now, especially with baby kicking left right and centre letting me know he/she is fine. Still worry massively about long term side effects though. However, the fact that some of our friends who were pg last year had the SF only jab - which by the way contained thimerosal - and all their babies are thriving and developing well helped me and DH come to the conclusion that the benefits outweigh the risks.

headfairy Thu 06-Jan-11 20:52:08

do it, pg women and people between the ages of 20 and 55 are most at risk, plus 90% of the deaths from flu this season have been from swine flu.

QuoththeRaven Fri 07-Jan-11 09:56:24

i had it done yesterday, sore arm and feel stuffed up/headaching/generally crap but that can just be side effects. I would urge you to get it done. It can't harm you or baby

im 34 weeks btw

SAR555 Wed 12-Jan-11 20:04:41

Did anyone see the piece in the Daily TElegraph on Monday about 13 baby deaths after their SF vaccine? Why isn't this front page news?

SAR555 Wed 12-Jan-11 20:05:22

Did anyone see the piece in the Daily Telegraph on Monday about 13 baby deaths after their mothers' had swine flu vaccine? I cant' find it but a friend said it was there.

dikkertjedap Wed 12-Jan-11 20:35:54

I have just looked at Monday's Daily Telegraph and cannot find what you are talking about SAR555??????????????

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: