Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Poorly Children is anyone eles sad?

(9 Posts)
fidelma Mon 03-Jan-11 22:26:28

I have 3 of my dc tucked up in bed.But they are so poorly tonight.They have been on painkillers for the past few days,hot,red cheeks,dry coughs,aches and pain.I am so sad for them as they are so misrable.I know they will be Ok and that this will pass but it is not nice.

Anyone eles in the same situation and what have you been doing to make them comfortable?

Mine have had lots of drinks,baths,massage and tlc.(oh and alot of TV)

shirljon Tue 04-Jan-11 08:15:35

Fidelma, I am so sorry to hear your children are ill. Let's hope they feel better soon. I'm off to buy plenty of Nurofen etc as a standby ready for next term. My dcs start back to school tomorrow and I know it will only be a matter of time before I am doing my "Florence Nightingale" act again. Hope you all feel better soon.

moosky Tue 04-Jan-11 19:22:58

Hiya

Hope your DCs are better very soon - this flu thing is horrible. My kids have been ill for pretty much all of December!

Not sure how old your kids are but if they have temperatures, the advice is not to bath them, as this can cause a sharp increase in the body temperature which in turn can cause febrile convulsions.

If they are over 7, then probably not too much of a problem but with a DD who used to have a history of them, I always feel obliged to tell people, just in case they aren't aware.

Hope u don't think I'm inteferring!!!

fidelma Tue 04-Jan-11 20:03:54

Thanks all.The boys were a little better this morning.ds1 and dd2 wont be well enough for school this week.You can just tell that it is going to hang around.Hopefully it wont last a monthshock

I am feeling a little exhausted now.Early night with hopefully not to many interuptions!

My children are 10, 8, 5 and 1.

clux73 Tue 04-Jan-11 20:59:37

You have my sympathy. Me and my 2 daughters went down with flu a week before Christmas and I have never felt so ill. Typically it coincided with a week when my husband was working really long hours, and to be honest I'm not sure how we got through it!! I could barely get myself out of bed. My 5 year old had it badly but my 2 year old had a milder version thank goodness!

We're still really tired from it. Definitely not back to full strength yet.

Hope they're all better soon. Hang on in there!

whomovedmychocolate Tue 04-Jan-11 21:02:18

My sympathies. We've just come out of it. Five weeks it took to get rid of the constant coughing and weakness. The first hellish week was actually not as bad as the recovery bit when I couldn't be bothered to do anything and just wanted to lie down quietly and die. Luckily the kids rallied much quicker.

We're now making sure we all eat really well so our bodies build back up for the second wave which will no doubt hit in two weeks time.

Penguinsarefab Wed 05-Jan-11 00:56:45

Hope your children are on the mend. My son had flu
before Xmas but not sure if it was Sw or not. Calpol
is always good I find, and also homemade chicken
soup. When people are sick in China, it's the
home medicine of choice - full of nutrition but easy
to eat if you feel rubbish. Just boil up a whole
chicken with Ginger, spring onion, salt, a carrot and a
potato for half an hour. Strain and serve with bits
Of chicken if they can tolerate the meat . You can
also add cubes of potato if they are feeling up
to eating. Otherwise just drink the soup! Hope it helps!

bubblerock Wed 05-Jan-11 08:17:58

Mine has just woken up with these raging temp, red cheeks, aching limbs, headache, cough... sad
First day back at school today so I guess I'm in for grief from the EWO angry

fidelma Wed 05-Jan-11 19:44:05

Yhey are getting better but have terrible coughs.I am keeping the middle two off school tomorrow as they are not strong enough for a full day out of the house.Also I want them to be a little stronger before they catch another cold/flu.

Hoping that they will be well enough to go on Friday but maybe Monday.

Thinking of anyone with flu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now