Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Question about flu anitbodies, my baby and breastfeeding

(4 Posts)
ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 30-Dec-10 17:56:41

I had the combined flu jab at just under 39 weeks pregnancy, on the friday, and gave birth on the monday! This was a mere four days into the immunity I'd started to receive from the vaccine, and I was told it would take up to 10 days to have full immunity from it. I feel very stupid not to have had it a lot earlier (was needle-phobic, which is daft because it was a total non-event and I hardly noticed it!) because obviously, if it had been in my system for long enough before the baby was born, he'd have got some immunity from my own immunity.

What I want to know, is can he also get some immunity from breastmilk, now I have the vaccine and as much immunity from it as I'm going to get? I obviously know about breastmilk confering some immunity on the baby if the mother comes into contact with a bug - I manufacture antibodies and pass them on with the milk. But does this only occur when I'm exposed to a live virus on the street, as it were, or will it also work with what I've been vaccinated against? (And the combined flu jab doesn't contain a live vaccine.)

Thanks for any help, I am really quite worried about this, and about my tiny baby getting flu. sad

(God, I wish the government would open jabs for under-5s too. Wouldn't help my baby but I'd like my toddler to be done.)

eviscerateyourmemory Thu 30-Dec-10 18:04:33

I dont know if you will be able to pass on immunity in that way.
I know that, for example, breastfeeding will not prevent a baby from getting chicken pox (because the IgG levels in breastmilk arent high enough) if the mother already has the antibodies. I dont know if the same applies to the flu.

There is some information here about swine flu and infant feeding. link

This is also interesting kellymom

dikkertjedap Thu 30-Dec-10 21:11:12

Don't know about your baby, but in relation to your toddler - Best is to contact Portland Hospital in London, because even if you are not close enough to London they can give you details of a private paediatrician in your area. There are many private paediatricians working in NHS hospitals but they tend not to advertise this at all. We found out through the Portland Hospital that there is a private paediatrician in our local area so we would not need to go to London. Well worth ago, they get a check up to see that they don't have an infection are in good health and then get the jab on the spot. If it is the first time and they are under five they would need a booster in four weeks time.
If you Google Portland Hospital London you should be able to get their phone number.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 30-Dec-10 21:19:41

I'm breastfeeding my 10 month old and had the flu jab today. The nurse told me I would pass on some immunity to my dd.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: