Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is the NHS still offering swine flu vaccine for under 5's?

(15 Posts)
jinglebelly Mon 27-Dec-10 11:20:48

if not, where can I get it?

PrinceRogersNelson Mon 27-Dec-10 11:22:21

I asked at my Dr's and they are not doing it for under 5's - just vulnerable groups which apparently they are not.

They said you can get it is Tesco for £10.

jinglebelly Mon 27-Dec-10 14:20:54

bump

jinglebelly Mon 27-Dec-10 14:21:17

i don't think tesco's will do it for under 18's

pooka Mon 27-Dec-10 14:23:50

Not at the moment via NHS - they were during the last flu season. Mine were all vaccinated in March under the previous protocols.

jinglebelly Mon 27-Dec-10 14:24:31

I wish I'd had mine done then

pooka Mon 27-Dec-10 14:29:01

Seemed a bit counter intuitive since the brouhaha had completely died down. They had loads of vaccines left over and so had ds2 (6 months) and ds1 (4) done as were under 5 and dd who was 6 had it too.

Saying that, I'm not sure how effective it would be as a protective measure - how long the protection lasts for example. My GP said they might not still have immunity the other day. So who knows whether was worth it or not?

jinglebelly Mon 27-Dec-10 14:34:45

I think it needs to be re-done every year, they say it lasts at least 6 months

pooka Mon 27-Dec-10 14:43:25

Well fingers crossed we don't come into contact with it - 6 months are well and truly up!

topsi Tue 28-Dec-10 07:30:49

Tesco/Boots won't do under 18's, I was told to ask my HV which I am going to do today. You could go to a private GP but I think the consult would be about £100 then you would have to pay for the vaccine ontop.

FrostyAndSlippery Tue 28-Dec-10 18:17:01

I'm really confused about this. My DD had it Earlier this year, I think t was Towards the end of the high flu season but we figured 'may as well have it' - the GP surgery offered it to all DCs from 6m to 5y.

She was 2 then, and is now 3.6 - does she have to have the vaccine again?

And DS is now 16m so didn't have it last year - should he have it? He's still BFing so maybe it's not so bad confused

bubbleymummy Tue 28-Dec-10 18:39:24

Frosty, they aren't offering it to children under 5 for this flu season because they don't think they fall into the 'at risk' category based on the figures from last year. Your DD got it at the end of last flu season when they were recommending it for children under 5. I'm not sure how long the swine flu vaccine from last year would last. The strain is the same so theoretically it would still offer protection (if it worked) but obviously there are no long term studies on it so it's anyone's guess really Personally, I'm not worried about it. Once again, the media are running with the story and creating a lot of anxiety by reporting every hospital admission and fatality but if they did this for seasonal flu every year it would be the same and we don't all rush out to get the flu vaccine every year!

NotAnotherNewNappy Tue 28-Dec-10 19:27:29

After some probing, my GP gave me the option of paying £15 for the nurse to give it to DD (2.4 yo). Have you asked your GP?

Every surgery seems to be interpreting the guidelines differently. My sister had much more trouble getting my nephew vaccinated and he has asthma hmm

Princessdeb Tue 04-Jan-11 12:38:37

If you are in London you can get your child vaccinated at the medi centre at victoria station. I have just booked an appointment for my 4 year old. She was very ill last year with what was presumed (although not confimed) to be swine flu and I don't want to risk her being ill again this year. I am really cross that I have to go to a private clinic to get this done (although the cost of £20 is not too bad) By choosing not to prioritise under 5's and then not allowing pharmacies to give it to under 16's the government has left many parents in an impossible situation. For many the cost of a private vaccination is something they could not afford ven if they lived in an area where it was accessible to them. If as a parent I have the right to decline a vaacine it should surely not be so hard for me to accept one!

tholeon Tue 04-Jan-11 15:19:39

I agree it seems ridiculus that the government has stopped the NHS giving jabs for ('low risk') under 5s, but also stopped the pharmacists from allowing them to do this privately....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now