Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So has everyone had the swine flu vaccination or just the vulnerable?

(8 Posts)
strandedatsea Fri 01-Oct-10 17:08:52

Sorry to ask what probably sounds like a stupid question but we have been out of the UK for over a year and will be returning permanently in December.

We missed most of the swine flu furore. Was everyone offered the jab or was it just the lederly/pregnant women/children etc? Should I be asking for it for me and dh and/or the dc's? Or has it gone away now?

strandedatsea Fri 01-Oct-10 17:33:23

I guess no-one knows sad

I'm not sure. I think they ran out of the original supplies once they'd gone through the vulnerable groups, and then by the time they restocked most of the panic was over so no one else really got vaccinated, but that's just an impression.

IngridFletcher Fri 01-Oct-10 18:07:36

My 2 under 5s were not offered it so I would say the answer is no.

strandedatsea Fri 01-Oct-10 18:08:22

Thank you! I have been wondering about this for a while as we are going to be back home in the middle of the winter with two young dc's who will be a little low on immunities having lived in a hot country for 18 months.

pooka Fri 01-Oct-10 18:18:28

My three children (1, 5 and 7 - now) were vaccinated earlier in the year. I think when ds2 was 6 months, so would have been in March.

Was initially offered just for ds1 who was 4. But the surgery then said could have the older and younger dcs done too. So I did.

According to the Department of Health website, this year the standard seasonal flu vaccination includes swine flu.

That is currently recommended for those aged 65 years or over, main carers for an older or disabled person, those with underlying health conditions and pregnant women -- so not for children this year. If swine flu takes off this winter I could see them revising that, though.

ShoppingDays Fri 10-Dec-10 16:22:02

I heard that there was far too much vaccine left over. But if that was the case why didn't they offer it to anyone who wanted it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now