Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ hasn't verified any of the posters on this topic. Please be cautious when sharing personal information.

Where do you purchase children's clothing?

(26 Posts)
FAWB Thu 25-Jan-18 16:19:48

Hi Everyone,

I'm a final year student at Nottingham Trent University, writing my dissertation on the 'Mini-Me' trend and clothing safety.

I really need your help, and value your opinion and time! Please complete my questionnaire which is 12 questions and will take maximum 3 minutes as they are mainly multiple choice!! Please please help!

Thanks so much!
Frankie!

link-> docs.google.com/forms/d/1XukKlHpkzyIRfrTY_vuFsAw_sXVoi20SFcfxUbVA5dE/edit

BackforGood Fri 26-Jan-18 00:28:58

Hmm.
Always like to try to help a student if I can, but your survey is really poorly worded.
I ignored that in Q9, but by Qs 11 and 12 "Do you understand risk and safety when it comes to children's clothing?" it isn't even clear what you are asking. What does that mean? Risk of what? Safety ? I presumed this was about a top or some leggings, not protective clothing. Can yu explain a bit more please ?

FAWB Fri 26-Jan-18 20:13:15

I appreciate the feedback- In terms of Question 11- As a consumer do you understand that there is 'risk' that comes with children's clothing. Due to their behaviour, certain types of clothing could be considered more risky. Can you please suggest how you would reword this? As with googledocs luckily you can edit the questions if needed!

I really appreciate the feedback but disappointed you feel that its poorly worded as not only have I run this past my dissertation tutor, it has been piloted to 15 people who gave my feedback and no-one else has given feedback that its poorly worded.
Thank you again!

FAWB Fri 26-Jan-18 21:17:22

I have amended some of the questions if you wouldn't mind having a look again and seeing if these make more sense! I'm really glad you picked up on this seeing as no-one else had! Much appreciated!

BackforGood Fri 26-Jan-18 21:38:20

I like to have a look on 'Unanswered threads' when I can to give things a bump smile
Q 11 is now clearer, I could answer that I don't understand there is a 'risk' in terms of safety in buying children's clothing.
Maybe it is something to do with new fashion for little ones. (My dc are a lot older) that I don't understand. Not sure how clothes can be a safety risk really. However, hopefully this will bump for someone who does.
Good luck with your course.

CoffeeCupCake Sat 27-Jan-18 20:11:04

I've answered, but agree with Backforgood about question 11. Your clarification didn't really help either. Are you trying to find out if people are aware of a specific risk (eg flammable clothing)? I'm not sure you're going to be able to draw any conclusions from people's answers. They may say yes they are aware of a risk, but to them that perhaps means the child might trap their skin in a popper... which I'm guessing is not the point of your question because you say your dissertation is about the influence of Mini Me on safety.

FAWB Sun 28-Jan-18 16:26:36

That's very kind and has helped me massively! So thank you again!
That's sort of what my dissertation is on: the risk of clothing and retailers preventing it and how much the consumer really knows so it's a perfect answer!

There is risk associated with children's clothing, particularly younger children due their behaviour and lack of knowledge and awareness of danger, so the clothes have to be suitable - for instance, buttons and poppers can be considered a risk because they are 'choking hazard'. No cords/drawstrings are allowed around the neck area due to entrapment/strangulation. All things like that which must be considered when designing childrens clothing. smile

FAWB Sun 28-Jan-18 16:34:37

Thank you for answering CoffeeCupCake. The point in my thesis is to analyse risk and safety legislation in the parameters of the Mini-me trend to give it a narrower scope and to assess whether there is more that could be done to reduce recalls etc.

The point of Q 11 is to gauge how many people understand that there is potential risk, as you said flammability, or even the risk associated with poppers (on baby etc). I'm then going to evaluate this information in terms of how many consumers are aware of general risk, and, from interviews with retailers, try and identify how things could be made better for both retailers and consumers.

NoNoCharlieRascal Sun 28-Jan-18 16:46:18

You don't have a baby age group and I would say they have more risks in clothing thank any other age.

Thickness - over heating
Feet on outfits - squashes toes in slings/bouncers/jumparoo
Drawstring/tight necks/scarfs/hoods/dribble bibs - strangulation
Decoration/ribbons/ties - choking
Zips - cuts into neck in sling

FAWB Sun 28-Jan-18 21:16:59

True! However due the retailers I am analysing and able to hold interviews with I decided to focus on 2+ clothing, as yes I agree baby wear is probably the most 'risky' as they also can't say whats wrong with them, but for 2-6 you have to factor in their use of senses to learn, through touch, feel and taste. Also that they cannot think logically and don't understand cause and effect so, buttons still pose a risk as they are more likely to be buttoning up their own clothes - and if a buttons comes loose it could become a choking hazard. Or the fact they could put small object (found on a garment) up their nose or in ears, this could cause aspiration. So I still felt like there was enough to talk about in the age range of 2-14, and then tied this in with the 'Mini-Me' ( to keep it current as thats part of the criteria, ensure the research is 'new' and 'up to date')
Saying that I do genuinely appreciate all the feedback and view points as it definitely helps me consider all angles! Thanks again for all the help everyone smile

FAWB Fri 09-Feb-18 17:24:18

Hi All,

I still need more responses on my survey! I need around another 50 to make it credible!

Thanks again for all the feedback, I genuinely do appreciate all the help!

docs.google.com/forms/u/0/d/1XukKlHpkzyIRfrTY_vuFsAw_sXVoi20SFcfxUbVA5dE/edit?usp=forms_home&ths=true

december212 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:36:50

Survey done, a bit different and interesting to answer smile

Bl7589 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:41:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FAWB Fri 09-Feb-18 22:49:01

Perfect thank you so much! smile

FAWB Tue 13-Feb-18 17:58:58

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the responses so far, however I am still 15 short of my minimum of 150 responses! Any help to reach my minimum target would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Francesca

CanalCruiser Tue 13-Feb-18 20:14:22

I've just done it. Good luck with the dissertation & the degree!

eurochick Tue 13-Feb-18 20:29:33

I've completed it. I also found it a bit odd. The safety questions didn't have any guidance as to what you were looking for - just text boxes after the more structured check box questions. I think free text answers will be quite difficult to collate. But good luck!

greendale17 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:33:56

Done

LoginLogan Tue 13-Feb-18 20:43:36

i've completed the survey. Good luck!

FAWB Sun 18-Feb-18 22:39:31

Hi Eurochick,

Thanks for the feedback! That's partly what I am looking at - how much consumers really understand risk and safety needed for children's clothing- and what consumers consider to be notable safety or quality issue. It's funny but there are a lot of recurring themes and answers in the long answer questions which has given me a lot to think about ( which I too was surprised at as I was worried at how easy it would be to collate and analyse the answers- however I found that I couldn't get a detailed enough answer for the safety questions through checkboxes)! This has also lead to some interesting interview discussions with industry experts! Again I do appreciate you completing the survey and taking time to give me feedback smile

Thanks again to anyone who has already completed it! If you haven't I am still accepting responses so would still appreciate any further responses smile

FAWB Wed 21-Feb-18 12:37:52

Hi All,

Sorry to push- it's the last week I have to collect research so one last push to gain just a few more responses!!

Thanks again smile

Hithere1981 Wed 21-Feb-18 12:44:44

OP

It’s an appalling survey
And the subject matter is ridiculous. Mini me and clothing safety bundled up in the same survey.

Please reconsider your choice of dissertation!

LondonStill83 Wed 21-Feb-18 12:58:08

Op I am so sorry, but I agree it's a poor survey and a poor topic. I have a lot of experience directing and supporting Ma Level students and I would never have approved this.

It sounds to me as if you are still unclear on what precisely you are trying to find out. Also, what's the benefit of this? Have many children died recently due to unsafe clothing, in the UK? Most clothing seems to be designed and purchased by stores with safety in mind to avoid injury and subsequent litigation...

I think you need to reconsider everything to come up with a good dissertation.

FAWB Thu 22-Feb-18 15:01:17

Hithere1981, LondonStill83 ,

Thank you for the feedback, although not very constructive I feel...
It has been approved by my tutor who is the one marking it, and I have spoken to multiple retailers and industry experts who do not seem to have an issue with my subject area, as the survey and consumer opinion is just a small part of my dissertation. However, I appreciate that you took time to do my survey and give feedback.

autumncolour Fri 23-Feb-18 18:02:23

I agree with some of the feedback given by other posters - you could usefully rethink this idea. Feedback is a precious gift! Try not to feel downhearted. I think mixing the two themes dilutes both of them - you would be better to look at one or the other. Alternatively, really focus on the nature of the hazards that you think the MIni me trend is causing. Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: