Talk

Advanced search

Parents.. I need help!

(12 Posts)
RelayKcl Tue 28-Nov-17 21:18:49

Hi,

We are a group of students from King's College London who are working on a social enterprise project named Relay. Relay will be a monthly subscription-based clothes rental service, where you can rent young children's and maternity clothes. The revenue generated will be used to support unemployed homeless women, by involving them in the business, allowing them to earn their own salary and develop employability skills.

We need some feedback on what parents and mothers to be think of this project. We would really appreciate it if you could fill out this quick survey!

Thanks in advance

The Relay team

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/VZPK5QF

catkind Tue 28-Nov-17 21:39:39

Interesting idea; I'd have been quite interested for mat wear if it was a reasonable cost. It felt like a lot to spend on clothes I'd only wear a few months.

Can't really see it working for kids' clothes. Lots of things get stained/torn/worn out. They need a lot of small items, which would be difficult to keep track of what belonged to the service and what didn't. We liked getting and passing on hand-me-downs, but never handed down something I definitely wanted back and nor would I accept a hand-me-down someone definitely wanted back from us.

RelayKcl Tue 28-Nov-17 22:15:19

@catkind,

I'm not sure if this will been seen by you, mumsnet is very new to me and i have no idea how it works!

In regards to keeping the track of the clothes, we would brand the clothes with our logo and possibly a barcode.

Relay is still in its early stages, which is why we wanted to do the survey to get feedback. We definitely will consider your concerns going forward!

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out the survey and message, we really appreciate it!

The Relay Team

CarrotPuff Wed 29-Nov-17 19:47:25

I think it's a great idea. So much better for the environment too.

HistoryMad Wed 29-Nov-17 19:53:12

I think it's a good idea for maternity clothes and for occasion clothes for children (wedding, Christmas etc). I would also love to see something similar for adults too (occasion wear)

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-Nov-17 08:31:50

Hi OP, we're going to move your thread over to the Surveys topic.

GlacindaTheTroll Thu 07-Dec-17 08:36:15

Occasion wear for the pregnant is a good idea.

But I don't see it working for children's clothes - because if they are young, it's so likely that much will become worn/stained/torn and not fit to return. And if they are older, they might have strong views in what they want to wear.

BertieBotts Thu 07-Dec-17 08:50:24

I've seen this kind of thing before, but the cost is usually too high to justify.

Fair enough for maternity wear. But children's, specifically small children's clothing is extremely cheap to buy second hand and quite often available in good quality as well.

BertieBotts Thu 07-Dec-17 08:54:27

Your question 6 isn't very clear. Do you mean how many clothes would the customer want to have at the same time, or how many new items would be required per month? This is difficult to quantify as I do not usually buy new clothes on a monthly basis. (I'm going to answer based on the second and try to average it out.)

eenymeenymaccaracca Thu 07-Dec-17 09:00:38

Kids would trash a lot of the clothes. They're unlikely to be in a re-rentable condition after even one hiring. And kids' clothes are often very cheap - not many people would bother to hire. It would be less hassle to buy some from Tesco.

Maternity wear might work, especially occasionwear.

eenymeenymaccaracca Thu 07-Dec-17 19:58:14

Renting toys might be better - big stuff like toddler slides/ ride-alongs etc. They're expensive to buy and take up a lot of space, plus kids grow out of them. So people might jump at the chance to rent, rather than buy. And the good ones are tough and would survive multiple rentals.

newtlover Thu 07-Dec-17 20:08:08

Hi, I'm not doing the survey as DC all now grown up but my feedback is- when DC were young there was a lot of this being done informally, my kids thought clothes came in bin bags, not from the shops grin, as PP mentioned kids trash clothes so the bags of stuff doing the rounds would be constantly weeded out and refreshed, each person would add something new and you got used to seeing (better quality) items on several different children over the years. So we would not have used this service (or at least it would have to have been VERY cheap to compete with the system we had. You are nowadays competing with very cheap high street prices - I get that there is an ethical/environmental benefit but that would also be served by going to charity shops.
I think PP are right that this service would be better aimed at maternity wear, especially smart/occassion maternity wear. I had twins and by the end of pregnancy could only wear about 2 items, I would have loved to hire something for those last few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now