Talk

Advanced search

Study: What do your kids play?

(9 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

jh017 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:00:35

Hi everyone, I'm a 21 year old university student called Jay, currently in my final year of Product design at Brunel University.

For my major project, I'm hoping to design and develop an app/game/something of the sort to help get kids aged 11-13 involved in the process of home cooking more.

Now, for my initial research, I just want to know what sort of games your kids play the most (android or apple apps!) - to then analyse the characters and triggers / sensory activators that make the games so enjoyable!

I'd be really grateful for a game or two that your child enjoys, and if you have any idea about what they enjoy about it, then that would also be amazing - and if you monitor your children when they play / how long they play.

Thank you all in advance for all the help (and i apologise if i'm in the wrong category in the forum) - if you have any questions about the project or anything above then please ask me smile

zzzzz Wed 01-Nov-17 15:04:55

Why do you feel kids aged 11 - 13 need to be more involved in home cooking and in what way?

jh017 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:47:13

I think that cooking is a skill that is imperative to most people, and learning it at an age where children are able to perform most kitchen tasks safely will stick with them as they grow up.

The amount of people who come to university without any prior knowledge on how to cook is shocking.

Understanding how to use different ingredients, and the processes of cooking (how to chop food, prepare bases for different dishes, generally understand fundamentals)

zzzzz Mon 06-Nov-17 22:51:29

That’s taught at school y7toy9, and most children see their parents cook. What would an app add.

heateallthebuns Mon 06-Nov-17 23:22:32

Sorry my kids are too young, they are only learning to read, they like games where they can win stages and build monsters though if that helps.

zzzzz Mon 06-Nov-17 23:34:14

Where this would really help is for children with Sen. Those working towards P scales perhaps? I would look at the Montessori thee part/period lesson. As far as educational apps go Montessorium and Hyperion Games both produce some stunning apps in this area.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-Nov-17 08:33:48

Hi Jay,

We're going to send this thread over to our NFP topic now - we don't actually allow research on the main talk boards.

Best of luck with your studies! flowers

jh017 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:04:15

zzzzz thanks so much for your insight!

I will definitely look more down the route of tailoring this towards SEN children.

Most children see their parents, cook, but I believe that engagement and involvement is the key to learning, and even more so when a child would actively want to be involved!

An app/game could reward & incentivise children for learning new skills and new levels - in the same way that Duolingo does this for language!

I forgot to add that this app would be used in parallel with some sort of peripheral, (similar to a fitbit) that can track movement, and the app would be used to display progress and track achievements!

Also - sorry for posting in the wrong thread, and thanks for the guidance.

zzzzz Wed 08-Nov-17 20:45:28

Be aware that apps for children with Sen are harder not easier to produce/design.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now