Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Survey into Adverse Side Effects of the Mirena Coil

(1 Post)
EdenCity Mon 09-Oct-17 18:06:44

My name is Allison, I am the founder of a Social Enterprise called EDEN City Outreach. One primary objective is to support communities (geographical or by experience) to respond together to the challenges of every-day-life, by creating opportunities to connect and collaborate on shared concerns, interests and aspirations.

This particular concern is a personal one: In April 2012 I was fitted with the Mirena Coil to counteract the symptoms of fibroids. A year later, after suffering almost two months of continuous bleeding, I was confirmed menopausal and infertile. After several years of a progressive decline in my health—with doctors insisting I did not have an ‘Auto-immune disorder'—I am now undergoing tests for ‘Sarcoidosis’—a very rare auto-immune disorder. I have many symptoms in common with the experiences of other Mumsnet members, i.e. chest pains and breathlessness, which could possibly indicate Pulmonary Sarcoidosis, see NHS.uk for more information.

There is currently no proven link between the Mirena, induced menopause/infertility and auto-immune disorders (like Sarcoidosis), because there have been no clinical trial(s) in this area to date. Our shared-experiences could provide sufficient 'evidence' to compel a clinical trial and/or public inquiry from the Department of Health.

So, I’m inviting anyone who wishes to share their experiences of the Mirena for inclusion in an informal review to contact me at edencityuk@gmail.com. I would also like to host a local (East London) support group for interested parties. On completion, the review will be submitted to the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency [MHRA] and Department of Health.
Additional information about me and/or my Mirena experience can be found at: Eden City Outreach.

Thank you.
Allison

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now