Talk

Advanced search

Call for participants: families affected by parental mental health difficulties

(5 Posts)
rebeccabishop Thu 27-Jul-17 17:37:53

Talking and making meaning about parental mental health difficulties: the role of children’s alternative caregivers

Dear Mumsnetters,

I am training as a Clinical Psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire. I am looking for participants for my doctoral research into the experiences of family members who help to look after a child/children in families where a parent has mental health difficulties.

When a parent is less emotionally or physically available due to mental health reasons, children are often dependent upon other family members for care. This may include their other parent, their parent’s partner, grandparents, older siblings, aunts and uncles.

These caregivers may usually be involved in shared parenting, may become more involved when needed for mental health reasons, or may have a role somewhere in between. They often provide emotional and practical care for children and sometimes help with housekeeping. Previous research has suggested that the people who provide this support are vital in families affected by parental mental health difficulties.

I am interested in talking to family members who help to care for children in this way to learn more about their lives, experiences and views. Taking part in the study would involve a face-to-face interview lasting approximately an hour. Interview locations can be flexible depending on where you live, but can include the University of Hertfordshire, a community location, or your home.

Criteria for participants
-Caregiver for a child/children with a parent with a mental health difficulty (does not have to be ‘officially’ diagnosed).
-Age 18+
-Willing to take part in an interview with a researcher to talk about their experiences.
-Do not have a severe and enduring mental health problem themselves.

If you are interested in taking part or would like further information, please contact me via Mumsnet or via email at r.bishop@herts.ac.uk.

The research findings will be published and made available to all participants at the end of the project. The aim is to make a difference in the lives of parents, children and families by informing policy and practice.

Thank you for your interest. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rebecca Bishop
Trainee Clinical Psychologist
Department of Psychology
University of Hertfordshire
r.bishop@herts.ac.uk

rbish1 Mon 23-Oct-17 08:51:43

We are still looking for participants for our project. Are there any parents/carers out there who would be interested in taking part?

Contact me on r.bishop@herts.ac.uk.

You can visit our website at www.childcaregiverstudy.co.uk

Caulk Mon 23-Oct-17 08:53:06

Is it an interview in person in Herts?

rbish1 Mon 30-Oct-17 17:08:27

Hi Caulk,

I'm able to do the interview in person in Herts, but I also travel further afield when needed because the interviews are nationwide. We can do Skype for people who are considerably further away.

Are you or someone you know potentially interested in taking part?

Thanks smile

rbish1 Mon 30-Oct-17 17:11:07

Its also worth mentioning that interview times and places are flexible, and will be managed around what works for the person taking part.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now