Talk

Advanced search

Research exploring online support for parents of children with a burn injury

(2 Posts)
DrJenHeath Wed 19-Jul-17 14:52:47

Parents whose son or daughter have experienced a burn injury are being sought for a project I am carrying out at the world-renowned Centre for Appearance Research based at UWE Bristol.

I am a Clinical Psychologist and PhD researcher and I am asking mums and dads about the kinds of support that might have helped them when their child experienced a burn injury, particularly whether online support would have been useful.

My questionnaire is available at tinyurl.com/peersupportforparents

The information from this questionnaire will directly benefit other parents by helping me to shape support for parents, possibly by providing an online resource which would be accessible and meets the needs identified during my research.

Every year in the UK, approximately 58,000 children attend accident and emergency departments for treatment after experiencing a burn injury. More burns are seen in children under 5 years of age than in any other age group, so this research is looking at how to provide support that could benefit many parents around the country, both now and in the future.

I am hoping to collect the views of at least 100 parents. All parents of children who have experienced but survived a burn injury requiring hospital treatment are invited to take part. I am recruiting parents from all over the country and it doesn’t matter how long ago the injury took place. Both parents, or just one, can participate in the research, and all participants will remain anonymous.

If you are interested in taking part, please visit tinyurl.com/peersupportforparents or contact me (Jennifer) on jennifer3.heath@uwe.ac.uk or 0117 32 87109

Thank you!

DrJenHeath Tue 17-Oct-17 16:31:53

Tomorrow is National Burns Awareness Day!

To promote my research to develop more accessible support for parents of burn-injured children (found here: tinyurl.com/peersupportforparents), and to also help highlight the dangers of burn injuries, I will be at Yate Shopping Centre in the south west with outreach nurses from Bristol Children’s Hospital.

If you would like to help shape future support for parents by contributing to the development of an accessible resource, please visit: tinyurl.com/peersupportforparents

All of the study information, the consent form, and the questionnaire used to collect parents’ views can be found at the end of that link. There are no right or wrong answers to any of the questions – I am interested in your honest opinions about the support you have received, or would have liked to receive, whether they are positive or negative, for or against the use of online support for parents.

As a thank you for taking part, participating parents are able to enter into a prize draw for 3 Amazon vouchers worth £30 each. The draw will take place on 29th November 2017 and then this study will be closed. So, if you would like to take part, please complete the questionnaire before 29th November 2017.

For more information, please visit tinyurl.com/peersupportforparents, or email me directly at jennifer3.heath@uwe.ac.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now