Talk

Advanced search

calling all mums with babies up to 18 month!!!

(13 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1495680191 Thu 25-May-17 04:04:29

hello mums

Iam a third year psychology student and Iam researching on some of the factors that influence breastfeeding mothers to stop earlier than they had planned! This study is intended for mothers with babies up to 18 months!

Please would you like to take part in my study? it should only take you 10-15 mins!

Your responses will be much appreciated!

qtrial2016q4az1.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ehDmKR4eExQwGA5

icklekid Thu 25-May-17 04:13:56

Have done although some of the responses felt odd for the questions.
Also the last question had no option for people who were still exclusively bf. I would have liked to add why I stopped exclusively (work) as still bf when with my daughter but according to survey looks like I stopped already!

Maggy74653 Thu 25-May-17 05:36:36

I have filled it in but I agree with pp you should have included an option for mothers to describe why they stopped exclusively breastfeeding, there can be so many reasons, medical, personal etc any links you find from the answers won't be valid without considering all the facts.

user1495680191 Thu 25-May-17 06:19:26

Hello mums
Thank you so much for your interest in the study!
I apologise for the confusion in some of the questionnaire and will try to address them ASAP!
However, as mentioned in the information sheet, I am only researching on SOME of the factors that discourage mothers from Breastfeeding since you know they could be so many. The ones that I am interested in are those addressed by the questionnaires.
Once again I do apologise but thank you so much for showing an interest!

BW.

maybefallingapart Thu 25-May-17 07:33:33

Have filled it in. Didn't answer the last question though as am still exclusively breastfeeding at 16 months.

lakehouse Thu 25-May-17 07:48:01

E*xclusive breastfeeding*" is defined as no other food or drink, not even water, except breast milk. At 16 months I hope you're not exclusively breastfeeding!

RoseAndRose Thu 25-May-17 08:01:51

Hated the last question - my DC was on breast milk only until over a year.

You needed to define more closely exactly what you meant - still breastfed (eating other foods regularly/sometimes/never) or combination with other milks.

As you can tell, not everyone will use the same definitions, rendering that question utterly useless as it stands.

In your shoes, I would seriously consider recalling the survey and including exactly which definitions you are using, or adding a box asking user to define (in their own words or from a reasonable comprehensive drop down)

CousinChloe Thu 25-May-17 08:02:49

I stopped exclusively breastfeeding at 6 months when I started giving food to my baby but I'm still breastfeeding (and not giving formula). She sometimes has milk to drink from a cup as well (she's over a year) so not exclusive at all, but still 6 times a day I guess.

Popskipiekin Thu 25-May-17 08:23:49

Have completed but not filled in last question as still exclusively bf at 5 months and hope to continue giving bm until 8 months-1 year at least, see how we go.

chillipopcorn1 Thu 25-May-17 08:33:22

I agree with PP you should recall this survey and give clear definitions otherwise people's answers will be meaningless. In other questions the choice of responses didn't match the question. Your last question particularly was tricky to answer - I am still breastfeeding my 12 month old twins and they don't have formula but have been eating solids since they turned 6 months. There is no option for people continuing to breastfeed!

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-May-17 08:44:23

Good morning, OP. We are going to move this thread over to the survey topic now.

RoseAndRose Thu 25-May-17 08:50:38

It's going to be difficult/impossible to relate any of the data captured in earlier questions to age of ending BF when you do not define what you mean in that last question.

Because someone who switched to formula only (for whatever reason) is not making the same choice as someone who is introducing solids but all milk is BF.

So if you were hoping to see if there were any correlations between certain reported behaviours and whether BF continues, there's a pretty major hole in the methodology.

Also in not asking for age of thebDc you are asking for, so you can be clear what is retrospective and what is a prospective answer.

cookiefiend Thu 25-May-17 09:11:14

Started the questionnaire- I have given up. Baby is almost 18 months and it is worded as though I haven't had her yet in the first part then feels like an early days questionnaire.

I feel like you have decided the answers that you want (lack of social support, lack of NHS support and poverty?) leading to giving up and have worded it to get the answers you want. It is very clumsy. I would start again.

Don't assume 18 months is the maximum people will breast feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now