Talk

Advanced search

Social Media and Children

(8 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1495636507 Wed 24-May-17 15:39:32

Has anyone had any bad experiences with their child and social media?

Becoming more withdrawn, anxious, addicted to being online etc.

Let me know

MotherOfBleach Wed 24-May-17 15:40:41

Why?

Jellybean85 Wed 24-May-17 15:44:32

Are you doing research? Writing an article? Struggling with an experience?
People might be more willing to contribute if they know what the answers are for...

user1495636507 Wed 24-May-17 15:52:21

I'm writing an article for my final project (student), people can remain anonymous but I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had any experience.

If you'd like to share more I can provide my email address also

MotherOfBleach Wed 24-May-17 16:23:39

I've had bad experiences with a child on social media.

My oldest was bullied during her final two years of primary school. This progressed to online bullying along with bullying inside school and at local hangouts during the final year (year 6 - she was 11 years old) The entire class seemed to join in. They would post derogatory comments on her posts, tag her in insulting 'memes' and set up group chats to discuss how ugly/spoiled/mean she was and invite her join these chats.

Outside of school they would follow her home, knock and run on our door, turn up at places they knew she would be likely to be to shout things at her.

As a parent I faced the difficult task of protecting her from this without isolating her from the small support she had built or making her feel as though she was being punished for being the victim.

My instinct was to remove her from all social media, something she found deeply upsetting. In the end, we compromised. She could keep her social media accounts with very high privacy settings and I must have access to them at all times. I logged her accounts in on my phone so I could supervise her activity in real time.

The bullies reacted to their exclusion from her social media presence (we blocked them all) by setting up accounts in DD's name and using them to bully other children. All of this was reported instantly to Instagram, who in fairness removed the offending accounts fairly rapidly.

In the end having the screen caps of what was going on via social media is all that had the school take action. Before showing them that they denied there was problem, taking the bullies word over DD's and her small group of friends.

Whether allowing her to continue accessing it was the right thing I don't know.

She did end up with depression and anxiety but if this is the result of social media, the bullying or a mix of both I couldn't tell you. My gut feeling is that social media merely made the bullying easier and it would've happened anyway.

She's 14 now and struggling with anxiety and depression. She was sent home from school today because getting upset over the rumors floating around social media regarding the attack in Manchester.

Again I face the choice of limiting her access to media and possibly worsening her anxiety or allowing her to continue to access it and it fuel her anxiety further.

At this moment in time she still has access to it but I've encouraged her to talk to me about anything she's reading online that is worrying her and pointed her in the direction of responsible, appropriate news article to help allay her fears along with telling to look for the good among the evil.

While her friends have 24/7 access to it, there's no point taking her off it. She will only hear the rumors second hand via them.

bloodymaria Wed 24-May-17 16:26:34

Let me know

Let me know, please.

Also maybe an idea to be upfront about why you're asking.

Whiskwarrior Wed 24-May-17 16:26:54

I think you're supposed to run this kind of thing by HQ before you post it, OP.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-May-17 16:29:36

Hi there OP,

We don't allow this kind of research on the main talk boards and so have sent your thread over to our NFP section.

Best of luck with your final project!

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now