Talk

Advanced search

Help! Dissertation Survey

(10 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

PeacefulPoster Thu 27-Apr-17 22:53:47

Hi,

I would be so thankful if any parents of Gifted and Talented children could complete the attached survey for my dissertation.

It is completely anonymous and is to do with your experiences within the primary sector.

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BYXF753

Thanks so much for your help.

PeacefulPoster Tue 02-May-17 21:11:43

Thank you to all who have completed so far, I could do with a few more if anybody would kindly complete. Thanks.

PeacefulPoster Thu 04-May-17 13:18:53

Hi Guys, me again - I could just do with another half a dozen responses if anyone is interested - it would be so helpful xx

Ginmummy1 Thu 04-May-17 13:46:26

The 'Gifted and Talented' register is no longer a thing, or so I am led to believe. It stopped a few years ago.

www.theguardian.com/education/2010/feb/02/gifted-talented-scrapped-funds-redirected

My DD is only in Y1, and to my knowledge her school do not have any official mechanism for identifying a child as G&T. The only option would be for parents to pay for a PotentialPlus assessment which has nothing to do with the school. If the school keep a list of G&T pupils, they don't communicate this to the parents.

Having said that, if they keep such a list I'd be surprised if my DD weren't on it. Is that just me being an arrogant parent?!

I am therefore reluctant to complete your survey. I wonder whether the nature of the questions (which reads as being somewhat out-of-date since the G&T register was scrapped) has put others off completing it.

In the absence of 'official' G&T status from a school, do you still want parents to complete the survey based on their personal opinions of their children's abilities? If so, I'm happy to do so but I can't help thinking that the questions could do with a bit of tweaking.

PeacefulPoster Thu 04-May-17 14:14:40

Hi, schools no longer have a gifted and talented register per se but they do have a variety of different methods of identifying children as gifted and usually if they are 'officially' recognised as gifted then parents would be notified as the would need permission- well this is how it has worked in the schools I have worked for.

As for being out of date I have to disagree, the questionnaire is not about the gifted and talented register - it is about the experiences of parents of gifted children - and as there will always be gifted children I fail to see how it could be dated.

Whilst I could re-word the questions to a certain extent (although they have been verified) I did specifically want parents of children who are officially 'recognised' as gifted as there are many parents who (and I am not for a minute saying you are one of them) would identify their child as gifted when maybe they are just bright.

Thanks for your response though.

Ginmummy1 Fri 05-May-17 12:23:35

Hi PeacefulPoster

I recognise your (sensible) caution to try to ensure that your survey is not full of pushy parents with bright (rather than truly G&T) children. I also acknowledge that I (as a parent of a child who has not been told ‘officially’ by the school that they are on any special ‘list’) may be one of those parents! I also recognise that ‘gifted’ children will always exist and therefore the general topic about the experience of parents of gifted children has continued relevance.

I would, however, say that your chosen restrictions limit your responses to parents of children at those (few) schools that:

A)Have chosen to maintain a G&T register (which I understood was scrapped as a requirement several years ago – and was flawed due to its insistence that a certain % of pupils fitted these criteria)

B)Have told the parents of children that are on it

B is relevant because there have been posts on MN from parents who only discovered years later that their children were on the G&T register.

With schools being so stretched these days, I would be surprised if more than a handful of state schools are offering anything ‘special’ for G&T children, apart from doing their best to accommodate those children’s needs in lessons (which good teachers are doing anyway). I dare say various ‘outlier’ pupils are discussed in teacher meetings, and perhaps it is documented somewhere (presumably schools monitor the outliers closely when checking pupil progress), but this doesn’t have to be formalised with the parents.

If I understand it correctly, your survey is therefore trying to find out whether the additional provision which a very limited number of state schools have chosen to continue to provide for G&T children (which they are choosing to label according to the school’s own criteria despite the fact that there is no requirement to do so, no funding etc) is meeting the needs of those children (according to the perception of their parents).

I’d be very interested to read the outcome of the survey, but I do have reservations about the selection criteria. Best of luck.

Growingpeopleme Fri 05-May-17 12:55:34

My school doesn't tell parents anything about this so I don't know if my child is although suspect would be so I also haven't responded for similar reasons to above. Good luck.

PeacefulPoster Sat 06-May-17 14:09:00

Thanks so much for all your responses - can't believe how many of you have given up your time to complete the survey for me.

The survey is open for another few days so if anybody else would like to join in it would be much appreciated. Thanks again for everyone's support so far.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-May-17 09:30:14

Hi there OP,

We're just going to send this over to our NFP topic, the only place that we allow this kind of research.

Best of luck with it all.

flowers

RoseAndRose Mon 15-May-17 09:42:54

How are you defining Gifted and Talented for the purposes of this survey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now