Talk

Advanced search

HELP! To amass 'data' on sleeping through the night

(82 Posts)
pikapoo Sun 26-Mar-17 23:24:15

Posting on here for traffic - I know that all babies are different etc etc but am really curious as to whether there is a noticeable correlation (not necessarily causation, mind) between 'sleeping through the night' and various potential factors. I spent months trying to get DS to sleep through, with a lot of anecdotal input from friends and family. Would really like to put some numbers and %%% against anecdotal data (you can tell it's been awhile since I went on mat leave from my numbers-based job…)

WIBU to ask all you lovely people to reply quickly and simply to the following few questions? At every milestone of 100 responses, I will post a results update! And may even throw in a sad graph or two

1) age at which your DC started sleeping through reliably (slept through means no dream feed and no night feeds, only occasional night waking when teething/unwell). If your DC is not yet sleeping through, please state current age.

2) gender of DC

When DC started sleeping through, were they (or, if not yet sleeping through, are they):
3) breastfed, formula fed, or combination?
4) cosleeping (same bed), side-sleeping (same room), or sleeping in their own room?
5) using a dummy to fall asleep? (If yes, please specify whether dummy kept in overnight)

6) was it preceded by night time sleep training (including weaning off night feeds)? (If yes, please specify briefly)

7) any other comments

Disclaimer - this isn't meant to be a scientific survey. I'm aware that sleep training and sleeping through the night are pressure points for many parents... but to facilitate my collation and analysis of the responses, please do not start a debate on this thread.

Thanks!

Writerwannabe83 Sun 26-Mar-17 23:32:27

1) When he was 10 months old he started sleeping through the night, but it only lasted about 4 months and then we were back to regular night wakings again. He started sleeping through the night again when he was about two years old.

2) Male

3) Breast fed

4) We put him in his own room at 10 months in order to address his poor sleep. Up until turn he'd been co-sleeping with me from about 5 months of age.

5) He never had a dummy but up until 10 months of age he would only fall asleep if he was being breast fed to sleep.

6) We had paid a Sleep Consultant for guidance when DS was 10 months as his sleep was so bad. We then carried out sleep training which included moving him into his own room and cutting out overnight breast feeds.

Sisinisawa Sun 26-Mar-17 23:35:54

4 years
Female
Breastfed
Own room
No dummy ever
No sleep training ever.

Two year old is breastfed and cosleeping and doesn't sleep through yet.

holidaysaregreat Sun 26-Mar-17 23:38:52

1) 6 weeks with dream feed and about 4 months without dream feed
2) female & male (both DD/DS
3) bottle
4) own room from few weeks old
5) no dummy
6) no training or controlled crying. Strict routine tho which was hard work initially but worth it. Both babies were settled for night sleep and did good two hours lunch nap.

MirandaWest Sun 26-Mar-17 23:42:30

1) age at which your DC started sleeping through reliably (slept through means no dream feed and no night feeds, only occasional night waking when teething/unwell). If your DC is not yet sleeping through, please state current age.

DS - can't remember when he slept through without a dream feed - maybe about 5 months? To me as the dream feed was before I went to bed then when he had that from 3 months he slept through and I kept up with he dream feed as I liked my sleep smile

DD - slept through at all maybe 2.5 (years not months). Reliably about 3.

2) gender of DC

DS and DD

When DC started sleeping through, were they (or, if not yet sleeping through, are they):
3) breastfed, formula fed, or combination?

DS was breastfed. DD had been breastfed, then mixed, then formula fed, then cows milk.
4) cosleeping (same bed), side-sleeping (same room), or sleeping in their own room?
Both sleeping in their own rooms

5) using a dummy to fall asleep? (If yes, please specify whether dummy kept in overnight)

Never had dummies. Did have thumbs

6) was it preceded by night time sleep training (including weaning off night feeds)? (If yes, please specify briefly)

DS - nothing except for a dream feed.
DD stopped having a bottle for milk at night when she was 2.

7) any other comments

They are 13 and 11 now so a few crucial details may be wrong grin

Wtfdoipick Sun 26-Mar-17 23:48:14

1) 6 & 7 weeks.

2) both female.

3) both formula fed.

4) both side sleeping.

5) one with dummy (didn't stay in all night) one without.

6) no training and both fed on demand.

StarTravels Sun 26-Mar-17 23:59:35

1) 21 months

2) male

3) formula fed
4) own room
5) never had a dummy

6) no sleep training

7) he just decided to sleep through one night and has done ever since. Nothing I tried seemed to make a difference at all before this. He seemed to know when he was ready.

Suze1621 Sun 26-Mar-17 23:59:56

3 children, all different.
A. Slept 11pm - 6am from 3 weeks with dream feed & 3 months without.
Female
Breast fed
Cot in our room
No dummy
No sleep training.

B. Slept through for the first time aged three and a half years!
Male
Breast fed
Cot in our room
No dummy
Tried sleep training without success, but not controlled crying.
Generally happy settled baby/toddler, just didn't sleep through!

C. 6 months
Male
Breast fed
Cot in our room
No dummy
No training
Tiny baby born by emergency section , 4lb 6ozs so needed frequent feeds day and night for longer period.

PenguinRoar Mon 27-Mar-17 00:07:19

18 months
Male
Breastfed
In own room
No dummy
No training

He was a co sleeper (and slept beautifully with sleepy feeds), then cot (bad sleep) then own bed (much better sleep)

Annie592 Mon 27-Mar-17 00:14:21

Think mine is too young to be useful but reading this with interest thanks OP!

bakingcupcakes Mon 27-Mar-17 00:16:27

1.15 months
2.male
3.formula fed originally but on cows milk/food by 15months.
4.co-sleeping
5.no dummy ever.
6.no sleep training
7.I think the night bottle stopped because he had a sickness bug at 15 months and then he just slept through. He used to shout for me at the gate once a night up until 2.3 (now 2.7) but once I came to bed he'd sleep through. If I stayed next to him/went to sleep when he did he would almost always go through.

Whitelisbon Mon 27-Mar-17 00:19:18

Child A.
6 months
Female
Formula fed
Own room
Dummy just to sleep
No training
3 months prem, loved her sleep.

Child B
Still hasn't (almost 11 years)
Male
He was breastfed until 18 months, obviously isnt now.
Own room from birth
No dummy
No training
He has various health issues, which means he'll probably never sleep through.

Child C
15 months
Male
Breastfed
Cot in our room
No dummy (has a scabby smelly muslin to chew instead)
No training
Twin

Child D
18 months
Female
Breastfed
Cot in our room
Dummy, sucks it all night long
Sort of trained, told her to shhh so she didn't wake her brother every time she woke for a few weeks, then she slept through.
Twin

Child E.
Still not sleeping through, 12 months.
Female
Breastfed
Sidecar style cot, but she cosleeps most nights
No dummy
No training
She's a happy soul who just doesn't need to sleep.

Comedyusername Mon 27-Mar-17 00:19:41

1) 2.5 years

2) male

3) Full fat cow's milk in a bottle (I'd just stopped breastfeeding him - my personal theory is that this is why he started sleeping through)
4) own room, toddler bed. We co-slept and side slept until he was 2
5) never had a dummy

6) no training

7) I used to put him to bed, but my husband now normally does it. Another of my theories

LauraPalmersBodybag Mon 27-Mar-17 00:21:45

13 months

Female

Breastfed

Co-slept on and off until 8 months, went into her own cot and after a hellish 4/5 further months she just started sleeping through.

No dummy

No sleep training

From 8 months onward a pretty strict bedtime routine was put in place. Sleep seemed to happen at the same time she started walking and eating really well (though she currently is refusing to eat or sleep...I'm hoping it's a short lived phase).

sykadelic Mon 27-Mar-17 00:29:00

1) If by "sleeping through" you mean the traditional meaning of 5 hours, then 7.5 weeks. If you mean more than that... then 11 weeks is when he started to sleep from 10pm to 7/8am (and still does now at 18 weeks).

2) Male

3) formula

4) Own room from 5 days old

5) No

6) Not really. I went back to work at 10 weeks PP and he first slept through the Wednesday of that week but it didn't "stick" until the following week. I fully credit the schedule of daycare and proper daytime napping schedule

7) He doesn't cry himself to sleep, ever. I have, since he was a week old, always followed the same routine for his last bottle of the night. I will change his diaper, put him in his sleep sack, feed him his bottle, short cuddle then into bed. We've also been following the "noisy days and quiet nights" thing where we aren't afraid to make noise (so even the dogs barking doesn't bother him).

We know we're very lucky and it could change on a dime!

MoonriseKingdom Mon 27-Mar-17 00:32:49

12 months

Female

Mostly breastfed but a bit of formula day time on 3 days that I worked from 7 months.

Own room from 6 months

Never had a dummy

Some unintentioned night weaning! I had to do a few night shifts and so when faced with my DH and a sippy cup of milk she decided she'd rather sleep mostly and dropped some night wake ups. The last night feed she just gradually dropped herself.

ItchyFoot Mon 27-Mar-17 00:34:24

Started sleeping through at 9 months.
Female
Breastfed
No dummy
Did some light sleep training at 6 months just to help her learn to settle before she went in her own room at 7 months.
At 9 months she would stir for a feed so for a week I sent dp in instead of feeding her and then she just slept through

LoupGarou Mon 27-Mar-17 00:35:05

1) 6 ish months (can't remember exactly!)
2) male
3) Formula
4) Co-slept
5) No dummy
6) No sleep training

ItchyFoot Mon 27-Mar-17 00:35:47

Also no cosleeping. Went from crib in our room straight to cotbed in her room

catkind Mon 27-Mar-17 00:39:24

Child A:
1) Started sleeping through around 2
2) M
3) breastfed (along with normal food by 2 obvs)
4) cosleeping from age 1, side sleeping then own room before that.
5) no, thumb sucking though
6) yes, night weaning, gently without stopping cosleeping
7) getting him to sleep for more than an hour as a baby was a battle; once we started cosleeping it was a lot easier though didn't completely sleep through until night-weaned.

Child B:
1) Started sleeping through around 2.5
2) F
3) breastfed
4) cosleeping (sidecar cot till about 3m when she learned to roll)
5) no
6) yes, night weaning, again without stopping cosleeping
7) coslept from birth and slept well from birth with only one waking, so not sleeping through wasn't an issue; the later sleeping through is down to me not being bothered enough to do anything about her waking, not her being difficult in any way!

Getting them to sleep in the first place was always the bigger battle than sleeping through. Specially when still napping in the daytime. They seemed to just need less sleep than average, still do.

ExplodedCloud Mon 27-Mar-17 01:01:33

1) 9 months
2) female
3) Bf
4) Own room
5) No dummy
6) No sleep training

1) 13 months
2) male
3) Bf
4) Own room
5) No dummy
6) No sleep training

noeffingidea Mon 27-Mar-17 02:09:28

1)had 3 children, all slept through at 3 months old
2)male, male, female
3)all forrmula fed
4) slept in crib or cot in my room. Did occassionally take into my bed though.
5) all had dummies
6) can't really remember.

foxessocks Mon 27-Mar-17 02:16:10

Age 1, female, breastfed until age 1 then stopped, in her own room from 6 months, no dummy but fed to sleep. Stopped breastfeeding and stopped feeding at night so she only got a cuddle instead. Took two nights and then she slept through.

Ds is 7 months and doesn't sleep through yet. He is breastfed no dummy in own room.

WaegukSaram Mon 27-Mar-17 02:27:36

1) DD1 - 5 months. DD2 - 14 months.

2) girls

3) both FF
4) Both own room.
5) DD1 - dummy, DD2 - no dummy.

6) Both sleep trained. Easy as pie with DD1, harder with DD2.

7) I'm pretty sure the dummy made all the difference for us. DD1 loved hers and it sent her right off - was like a switch. DD2 would not take one, and took ages to learn how to self soothe.

Nottalotta Mon 27-Mar-17 02:39:31

1) 14 months
2) male
3) bf. Cows milk before bed
4) cot in my room. Had previously coslept
5) no dummy
6) gradual withdrawal for, independent sleep at bedtime. Stopped nightfeeds after his first sleep through

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now