Talk

Advanced search

8-13 year old girls. Do you think kids are growing older younger? Research.

(5 Posts)
louisamarion95 Thu 23-Mar-17 18:54:15

Hi there
If you can help me with some dissertation research by answering the following questions in as much detail as possible I would really appreciate it.

1. Is branded clothing of higher importance to children today than when perhaps, you were a child? Why do you think this?

2. Do you think girls are more aware of fashion trends today?

3. What are your views on the argument that children today are growing up too quickly?

4. At what age do you think social media access is appropriate?

Thanks, Louisa

Girliefriendlikesflowers Thu 23-Mar-17 19:01:54

Hi I have a an 11yo dd.

1) My dd has no interest in branded clothes, in fact she isn't really interested in clothes or fashion at all! There is some peer pressure to wear certain clothes to 'fit in' so she has some fashionable clothes that she wears for non uniform days but is happiest in jogging bottoms and an old t.shirt grin

2) see above.

3) My dd is still quite young for her age imo, for example she still 'plays' tonight she came in from school and played with her lego for an hour. A lot of her friends now look like mini teenagers which I think is a shame. I agree that some kids are growing up too quickly and I am happy for dd to be a child for as long as possible!!

4) I think around 14yo, dd still doesn't have a phone and I would not be happy with her having access to social media yet, i want to hold off for as long as possible.

TeenAndTween Mon 27-Mar-17 16:26:30

My DD is 12.5, in y7. She is emotionally young compared with her peers.

1. Is branded clothing of higher importance to children today than when perhaps, you were a child? Why do you think this?

I think it is more accessible to more children these days as disposable income of parents has increased. But I still remember at school the must have fashions (80s).

No. Some are, some aren't.

3. What are your views on the argument that children today are growing up too quickly?

Yes. I think there is pressure from all sides. Definitely media. But also other adults 'do you have a boyfriend?' asked to primary aged children. Giving gadgets instead of (not as well as) other toys. Plus parents encouraging/allowing underage access to DVDs - then my child who doesn't watch above age is made to appear babyish for not having seen certain things.

As late as possible! I don't think pre-teen or even early teens are really emotionally ready to be switched on the whole time, and to have pressure to be liking and replying to things. Also not understanding how the written word can be misconstrued, or feeling 'safe' behind the screen. Plus distracting from school /work. To be honest, part of me want to say 21, but there comes a point when you are socially isolating your child to keep them off it. that point seems to be getting younger. So DD will probably haves access from 13 or so, but under supervision.

elektrawoman Wed 24-May-17 15:15:55

It is important but then I remember it being important when I was at school too in the 1970s and 1980s, then it was more about clothing brands.
Nowadays trainers seem to be the big thing - my child says children talk in the playground about the brands of trainers they have, and children do get teased if they don't have the 'right' brands. Even football boots have to be particular ones, I think this is due to footballers wearing certain brands.

Not particularly, about the same.

This I do agree with and I think it is to do with access to dvds, computer games, social media etc that is not appropriate to their age range. I hear other children talk about what films they have seen / games they have played and I know they are definitely not age-appropriate. I think a lot of parents take a very relaxed attitude to what their children are accessing online. My child is 11 and has been exposed to stuff from other children I wish she hadn't. She is aware other children try to act 'older'. I definitely do not remember these same pressures when I was at primary school.

I think later is better. We have had problems with messaging groups with children posting offensive material. At 11 they want to be grown up but they are still children. They do not understand the implications of what they are doing on social media. They just get around the age 13 rules by typing in a different year of birth!
On the other hand my daughter enjoys being able to contact her friends and arrange meet-ups. However I have not allowed her to have Snapchat or Facebook which I know lots of her friends have. I also check her messages. But some parents seem to let their children do whatever they want. It's worrying.

corythatwas Wed 24-May-17 20:24:34

I was bullied at school in the 60s/70s for not wearing branded clothes. These days I think it is easier, at least in some demographics, to get away with wearing cheap stuff like Primark, because fashion is more diverse. When I was that age, there was one fashion, like there was only 2 channels on the telly: if you didn't watch that, you were hopelessly out.

I tried my hardest not to be aware of them 40 years ago, but frankly, it was difficult.

I would like that statement more clearly defined. Is it about responsibility? sexuality? alcohol? drugs? smoking? independence?

My grandmother was under pressure to leave school aged 12 and get a job. Otoh she probably wasn't under much pressure to take Ecstasy. Sexual pressure would have depended entirely on class and circumstances: a young servant girl or milkmaid would have been in a different situation from a middle class girl. There was a lot of pressure on young lads to smoke a generation or two ago, not so much on girls, I think (though an awful lot of my contemporaries did smoke).

When it comes to almost any kind of responsibility or independence- cooking, looking after themselves, DIY, even making a cup of tea- British youngsters in the present generation are probably the slowest to grow up that the world has ever seen, certainly a lot slower than their European contemporaries.

Social media is a different kettle of fish and one we are only just learning to negotiate.

Secondary school, not before. I was happy to follow the rules set by Facebook.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now