Talk

Advanced search

MUMS OF TEENAGERS PLEASE HELP

(45 Posts)
antigeorgia Fri 03-Mar-17 23:30:17

Hello everyone!
Hope you don't mind me posting but thought this would be a great place to start.

I'm currently doing my dissertation on teenagers and their purchasing decisions when buying clothes so if you're a parent of a teenager could you shed some light on this topic for me?

Just wondering if you buy their clothes or they buy them
Do they have any preferred shops
Whether you have any influence over the clothes they wear
Would you feel comfortable shopping on their behalf

Just any info on how your teenagers decide on clothing they want to wear would be really helpful!

Just to add that any of the information shared would NOT be included in my dissertation! It is just a starting point to start developing some ideas for my survey smile

JakeBallardswife Fri 03-Mar-17 23:32:24

No influence, DS shops at Topman and Gap although this will change I would think as he gets older .

NecklessMumster Fri 03-Mar-17 23:37:20

Ds15 - he buys his own and wouldn't let me near, likes top shop and labels online ( but got ripped off buying fakes). Ds14 - completely uninterested and happy for me to buy any old tat

cowgirlsareforever Fri 03-Mar-17 23:38:06

My ds (15) loves clothes. Where we live there is a definite style of dress that every teenager adheres to. Generally speaking, the more you look like you've done time inside, the better. Ds has said he's looking forward to going to university so he can wear the clothes he wants to wear. He says the first thing he'll buy is a long overcoat.

IndigoApple Fri 03-Mar-17 23:47:54

DD, 17 shops almost exclusively at Top Shop with occasional bits from River Island, Urban Outfitters and M&S (!). Plus a few online retailers. Schuh for shoes. She wouldn't want me to shop for her with the exception of pants and socks (preferably from Top Shop!).

MajesticWhine Fri 03-Mar-17 23:48:22

No influence whatsoever. They choose their own (using my money). Girls aged 14 and 16. Older one buys vintage and quirky. Younger one brandy Melville, topshop. H&m. I don't buy things for them unless it's for Christmas birthday and they tell me exactly what they want.

TheHobbitMum Fri 03-Mar-17 23:50:11

My son has no preference generally as he's just glad someone else shops for him LOL My daughter likes Primark/New Look /Jack Wills & SuperDry, generally she will only wear black or grey and prefers to choose her own clothes and has lately started to buy online a lot from daily tshirt design sites or geeky TV/vlog fan clothing websites. Both 15 and I've no worries with what they choose as neither choose to closely follow fashion and just wear jeans & tshirts mostly.

RebelandaStunner Fri 03-Mar-17 23:52:02

DD likes Top Shop best. Nike for sport. Has a clothing allowance and earns part time money. Goes shopping with me or her boyfriend. She has been known to ask my opinion on several occasions smile

DS wears a lot of sportswear too as he plays several times a week- Nike, Ellesse, Addidas. He likes Topman and H and M.
He has a full time job so buys his own.
Both wear CK underwear.

DelphiniumBlue Fri 03-Mar-17 23:58:57

DS16. Not interested in clothes, but wants to fit in. Doesn't like logos or anything attention grabbing or fussy - likes comfort, but relatively cool stuff.Not interested in labels.
He loathes shopping, so I do it for him, as I enjoy it. Often online - I will suggest and he will OK what I've chosen. I usually buy a few tshirts/jeans/joggers/shirts and a hoody twice a year, plus shorts in summer. He also has a pair of boots, a pair of trainers and school uniform.
I usually buy from H&M, or Primark for plain tshirts and trousers. Very occasionally from TK Maxx if I've seen something I know he will like.

HardcoreLadyType Sat 04-Mar-17 00:01:32

DD1 (17) likes Topshop, Urban Outfitters and also charity shops and an online second hand community. She often buys her own clothes, when they are things she wants but doesn't need. I buy the things she needs, like coats, school clothes, underwear, etc. Sometimes I buy bits she wants, if we are together, and she sees something she likes. We also gave her a substantial sum at Christmas to spend on clothes. She still has quite a lot left. She chooses carefully.

DD2 (15) mostly wears jeans and tshirts with a hoodie. Smarter clothes often come from Uniqlo. I buy all her clothes, really, as she really just has staples. (Although she was photographed in London the other day, by a woman who was taking photographs of Londoners. She obviously thought she had an interesting look.)

DS (13) mostly wears shorts, and a tshirt even in winter. He has no real interest in clothes, at all really.

OhTheRoses Sat 04-Mar-17 00:15:41

DS liked/likes style it was innate.
DD is more quirky and has librarian, vamp and scruffy, boyish days.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 04-Mar-17 00:20:23

DS shops at Superdry, Ralph Lauren and JD Sports for casual clothes, or TK Maxx if he's paying! School clothes from Debenhams or Matalan. He's 16 and I have influence if I'm footing the bill but only in as much as setting a limit for expenditure. He chooses his own clothes.

BackforGood Sat 04-Mar-17 00:28:27

Bit difficult to generalise - "teenagers" change a LOT between 13 and 19.
They also have their own personalities.
So - dd1 (18) has always hated shopping, but is prepared to order stuff on-line. dd2 (15) likes walking round the shops and actually seeing stuff, touching it, and trying it on.

No, I wouldn't buy them anything (well, except the odd pack of underwear / sox / some PJs at Christmas) without them being there, or having a discussion (with photos) via WhatsApp), or a 100% guarantee I could bring it back if they didn't like it - but even then I would rarely do it, as so difficult to predict what they will wear.
In terms of influence - it depends what it is for. Uniform items, or a dress for a funeral or something I would have a say in. Casual stuff it's up to them if they are spending birthday money or their money from PT work. If I'm paying then I would veto anything completely outlandish I guess (never needed to so far, with 3 teens) , but, ultimately I acknowledge it's their choice

Bensyster Sat 04-Mar-17 07:51:40

My teens are 13. They are both very keen to choose their own clothes and have very strong opinions on what they like to wear. Shopping on there behalf is a waste of time - it all goes back. I tend to let them buy what ever they want on a few websites - they shop 2-3 times a year, they don't go crazy. Both like H&M, dd likes New Look, Ds can only get jeans from River Island - he's very skinny and Uniqlo. Neither like sports brands or labels like Jack Wills/Superdry etc (I consider myself lucky in this respect!) They won't wear clothes with labels on the outside (this might be my influence, as I wouldn't either). Dd permanently borrows my cashmere jumpers and scarves. They always get good quality shoes, they have challenging feet, so cheap and cheerful shoes are never an option.

JustSpeakSense Sat 04-Mar-17 08:20:53

DS 16 - models his look on what other teens are wearing, just wants to fit in with the crowd. Does not value any input from me hmm, will however listen to his younger sisters advice. He is quite insecure so agonises over what to wear sometimes.

Topman
River island
Hollister

DD 13 - also models her look on her friends, although she is quite confident and will sometimes experiment with her own ideas. Greatly influenced by YouTube vloggers she spends more money on makeup and hair than actual clothes.
She will take advice from me, but I find letting her develop her own style is important.

River island
Primark
Top shop
Hollister
Jack wills
Boo hoo
ASOS

lljkk Sat 04-Mar-17 10:16:15

if you buy their clothes or they buy them
I pay, if that's what you mean. DD15 shops on her own, DS17 doesn't.

Do they have any preferred shops
probably. Not the ones I can afford!!

Whether you have any influence over the clothes they wear
some. I won't buy them something I dislike hugely.

Would you feel comfortable shopping on their behalf
HECK NO. Actually, I can get away with socks or pants. Nothing else would I brave.

lljkk Sat 04-Mar-17 10:18:31

How they decide...

DD cares about being tastefully fashionable and would buy completely impractical stuff given the opportunity.

DS prefers functional but not unfashionable.

corythatwas Sat 04-Mar-17 13:40:37

I paid for them until they started Sixth Form; then they were given a monthly allowance which had to cover clothes and hygiene care. Noone in my family feels I can safely be trusted with clothes-buying decisions or make a bearable companion round the shops. Mine have to do it on the cheap so tend to go for Primark and second-hand shops, or sometimes H & M or New Look. I think. Don't really know much about it.

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sat 04-Mar-17 13:46:06

Dd1 is 13 and steals my stuff, likes same shops as me then says I'm too old now so it should be her shop not a bloody chance
Dd2 is 12 3/4 she is top shop H&M and new look crazy, crop tops and short skirts tighter and more fitted the better ( she is not allowed to shop alone !) dd1 is emo/goth etc like her dad and I so baggy, black and skull emblazoned.
I don't get a say in their clothing but stuff I don't like too short/tight/old has a habit of ripping in the wash wink

BigSandyBalls2015 Sat 04-Mar-17 13:53:52

I'm currently sitting in New Look, roasting in a winter coat, losing the will to live whilst 16 year old DD tries to find an outfit for tonight.

I hate shopping, she normally goes with friends but they were all busy so I thought it might be a nice mum/DD thing to do.

I don't have any influence over what she buys. If I did she wouldn't now be paying for a pair of knickers that aren't big enough to floss my teeth with.

Haffdonga Sat 04-Mar-17 13:56:38

Ds1 - fairly style conscious. Chooses his own clothes. A lot from Topman, Asos and more expensive shops mostly online if he's feeling flush but as a student he's now discovered charity shops - great! I'm allowed to pay but never to choose his clothes.

DS2 - absolutely no interest in fashion or image whatsoever but extremely fussy about what he wears (limited range of colours, no logos or labels, must feel nice). Again I can pay but I'm not even allowed to suggest something or ask if he likes it. Shopping trips together end in tears (from us both).

I'm delighted that neither of them ever got into the designer label trend and don't care 2 hoots whether they're wearing the same brand as their mates. My deal with both has been I will pay to kit them out in a basic functional wardrobe i.e. clothes for school, coat, jeans and tops, shoes. Anything extra or fashion-y, they pay for themselves.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 04-Mar-17 13:57:19

DS is now 18. Until 15 he had no interest and just wore generic hoodies, jeans and a selection of band/Hard Rock Cafe/slogan t-shirts.

Now he shops at H&M (with a cash limit set by me) and has 5 pairs of Wrangler jeans of different shades but the same waist/leg measurements so I can just stop by the shop and buy another pair each season!
For concerts and special occasions he has one black suit with a white or black shirt and smart shoes.

Footwear has always been a fashion statement for him so Vans, Converse, Adidas and Lumberjack are bought together.

Bluntness100 Sat 04-Mar-17 14:01:08

She's 19 but probably been choosing solo since about 15. However i tend to supplement Xmas and birthdays with clothes and she maintains I've better taste than her, she prefers the clothes i,pick, as such I get video calls showing me what she is buying.

I'd say asos is a firm favourite, as is H&M and top shop and have been for quite a while. When she was younger, 14/15 things like super dry were popular and before that jack wills.

catinbooots Sat 04-Mar-17 14:01:50

DS(17) used to love Hollister, Jack Wills, Superdry when he was 13/14.

Went right off all of that at about 15 and would only shop in TopMan.

Now he still buys TopMan basics (jeans etc) but likes a designer t-shirt i.e. Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger. He also likes 'retro' sports brands so Reebok Classics etc.

I have no influence whatsoever on his clothing choices.

I pray for him wink

catinbooots Sat 04-Mar-17 14:02:55

Oh sorry to answer your question - I give him money to buy clothes. Occasionally I will pick up a t-shirt or something for him, but not often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now