Talk

Advanced search

Overweight/obese project

(16 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1487704295 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:51:52

Hi
I am at uni doing a research project on the barriers towards healthy food in obese and overweight adults in the UK. I want to get as much response as possible and would be grateful to anyone that can fill in this quick questionnaire will will take 2 minutes. It is confidential and i really would be grateful.
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfb72Nmfo1lxuceQUPeq0DgwnrcLO2lJ2ajdgheGJ-18FckKQ/viewform?c=0&w=1
many thanks
marie

NoTractorsAtTheTable Wed 22-Feb-17 17:56:42

I started doing it, but you have an error on the page with the BMI chart - you have two 'strongly disagree' options, so I didn't go any further.

user1487704295 Wed 22-Feb-17 18:11:05

thank you i have corrected it now, thanks for the information
its all sorted now

321zerobaby Wed 22-Feb-17 18:16:23

One of the questions has column 1 and column 2, not sure why? I filled in column 1?

blueskyinmarch Wed 22-Feb-17 18:21:11

I have completed it.

MrsBridgesBuns Wed 22-Feb-17 18:26:12

Hi, I'd happily do it but you have strongly disagree instead f strongly agree.

MrsBridgesBuns Wed 22-Feb-17 18:26:58

Sorry, ignore me. blush
That'll teach me to get distracted!

Chinnygirl Wed 22-Feb-17 18:29:05

What do you fill in with one slim parent and one overweight one?

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Wed 22-Feb-17 18:35:19

Does buying lunch count as takeaways/eating out? I assumed yes.

user1487704295 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:57:28

Hi
Thank you to everyone that has filled in this questionaire it is very much appreciated

user1487704295 Fri 24-Feb-17 22:19:11

bump

hefzi Fri 24-Feb-17 22:34:22

You don't have anything on the form relating to research ethics or confidentiality - as a lecturer, I'm astonished your university has given your format and questions ethical approval.

That aside, you don't, as a PP has said, have an option for people with parents who differ - it's perfectly common to have one parent with weight issues and one not. Acknowledging this would allow you not to make over-assumptions related to whether people who grew up with obese parents are more likely to be obese themselves. It's a perfectly logical assumption, of course, but not one you could draw accurately from this set of questions.

The one about takeaways is also problematic - there's a gulf of difference between 1-2 per week and neverhmm I appreciate if you're an undergrad, your deadline is likely to be looming - but these are significant issues with your questionnaire design, that have implications for both the results you'll get and the conclusions you draw from them.

You also only have options for being overweight or obese, not normal or underweight: you need these for control.

I'm not trying to piss on your chips completely - and I've filled in the survey as best as I could in light of the issues above. But I strongly recommend talking to your supervisor about this- it's not a neutral set of questions, and that alone would ensure it wasn't given ethical approval in many universities, but the main issue for you is that this makes it more likely you'll have skewed data, and thus, faulty conclusions.

user1487704295 Sat 25-Feb-17 09:01:06

Hi hefzi
Thank you for your comments, yes i have ethical approval but as youve highlighted i have added that it is confidential on paper copies but need to add it on here as well so thank you for pointing that out.

It is not aimed at people of a healthy weight or underweight and that is why there is not an option for them. The questionnaire is only for people who are overweight or obese so i dont want other people answering it else my data wont be valid. If you have filled it in i hope you fall into 1 or those 2 catogories.

I will show him my list of questions again and take on board what you have said however he has already given me ethical approval.

Thanks again for your comments

hefzi Sat 25-Feb-17 11:05:22

Good luck with your dissertation and the rest of your studies, OP!

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 25-Feb-17 11:58:22

Hi OP, we're just moving this thread to Not For Profit Surveys.

Curious541 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:20:10

Hi, someone mentioned above about the takeaways question. Just an FYI - I would've split it down further, I have takeaway maybe once a month, never and 1-2per week don't cover this.

Good luck with your studies x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now