Talk

Advanced search

What would you ask a dietitian?

(4 Posts)
ChloeDietitian1 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:22:57

Hi!

I'm a UK-based paediatric dietitian and I'm looking to start a blog.

As I'm based in a hospital, most of my patients i see are clinically unwell so I rarely get to answer niggly questions that mums (and dads!) may have which GPs and HVs don't always know the answer to.

I'd be grateful if any of you have any general questions re infant feeding/children's diet etc etc that I could base blog topics on where I discuss the evidence so you guys as parents can make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Blumkin Mon 20-Feb-17 21:39:35

Oh, i have millions of questions I could ask you, like;

Is it really bad to put a small half teaspoon of sugar over weetabix in the morning? My DC either have porridge or weetabix for breakfast with some fruit thrown in but only eat all of it if its been sweetened a bit, and then if they don't eat it all they get hungry and demand snacks.

Portion sizes. I have a permanently hungry 7 year old. She's healthy, active, eats a good diet with loads of fruit/veg and variety but eats mountains of it. I cannot fill her up. Her bmi is still within normal, but very near the top end. She has loads of carbs and protein (school dinners then food at home) but is just so hungry all the time

Are fruit shoots the work of the devil? Mumsnet seems to think so.

Hidden sugar in food marketed at kids, with loads of health benefits advertised to parents (e.g. nestle cereals have a huge green banner on top off the box saying its wholegrain, with added vitamins and iron but then they don't shout about the 25% sugar content)

Blumkin Mon 20-Feb-17 21:42:20

Oh, and how many packets of crisps (cheesy puffs are a big favourite) per week is too much? I know the perfect diet would have none but that's a bit unrealistic with kids parties, etc.

Starface Mon 20-Feb-17 21:50:25

Realistic suggestions for increasing protein intake taking into account a) the time constraints of a busy family life and b) a restricted diet - e.g. veggie or halal or kosher, where it is not easy to get it from lean meat bought in a supermarket.

It is too easy to slip into a carb heavy diet.

I think also something about overcoming resistance in toddlers/pre schoolers who just will not eat what is necessary for a balanced diet. What is the best approach here?

Maybe something about managing weight/ obesity without encouraging eating disorders. How can we talk about healthy eating without making food a massive source of anxiety?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now