Talk

Advanced search

To ask you about celebrity deaths?

(200 Posts)
WildBelle Fri 06-Jan-17 19:44:50

I've got to write an essay for uni (sociology) on celebrity deaths and public reactions. I'm going to find this hard because i don't really have much of a reaction to celebrity deaths past sometimes thinking 'oh, that's sad'.

So, from the last 5 years, which celebrity death has hit you hardest? Can you explain why you found it hard to deal with, bearing in mind you didn't personally know that person? Did you physically do anything to mark that person's death, or post anything online?

Sorry for the blatant request for essay help, but I need to kick up the arse to stop playing candy crush get going.

LucklessMonster Fri 06-Jan-17 19:49:05

Rik Mayall is the only one that affected me in any way. I grew up with Bottom and Drop Dead Fred (yes, my parents were a bit slack with what they let me watch!) and it felt like losing a long-lost family friend.

I joined some fan groups on Facebook.

brummiesue Fri 06-Jan-17 19:52:48

Peaches gelfof really bothered me, not sure why as I couldn't stand her when she was alive! Maybe because of her children, not sure. Also paul walker as he was so good looking! Plus he wasnt driving so not his fault at all, just senseless.

Quartz2208 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:52:58

Heath Ledger (I know more than 5 years) and Cory Monteith, both around my age and both from drugs I think cos it was so sudden and needless and I found the fact that one decision caused them to lose everything so sad.

FlappyRose Fri 06-Jan-17 19:54:00

Celebrity deaths affect me in the same way as you. I might think it's sad but that's pretty much it. Not really a celebrity death but a well know person (so I don't know if it helps), I was upset when Jo Cox died. I think it was the brutal way it happened, plus the fact that she seemed like a nice person and I felt for her children and husband.

Mrsglitterfairy Fri 06-Jan-17 19:56:16

Longer than 5 years but Stephen Gately (boyzone) really broke my heart and to be honest, still upsets me today. I was a huge fan and he was always my favourite. It felt like a piece of my youth had gone and growing up, I felt like I had gotten to know him and he was a big part of my life, it genuinely felt like a friend or family member had passed

carelesswhisper27 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:57:12

Amy Winehouse - her battle with drugs, I was really rooting for her and lost a close relative to a heroin overdose. I know eventually it was the booze that killed her but I was just so desperately sad at the spiral her life had gone in, and the utter waste of talent. I think perhaps I was projecting in part from my relative though as was very upset - cried when I found out she'd died. More recently as the username suggests I was pretty upset about George Michael. Careless Whisper is my favourite song of all time, he was one of my favourite artists of all time. He was too young - very sad sad

WildBelle Fri 06-Jan-17 19:58:06

Thanks for the replies. Peaches Geldof is a good one, I was actually quite affected by her death. I think maybe because I felt so sorry for the kids, and it was weird looking at photos and videos she'd put on instagram hours before she'd died.

Mrsglitterfairy Fri 06-Jan-17 19:58:16

On the day it happened, I actually had people messaging me to see if I was ok, old school friends etc. I wanted to go over to Dublin for the funeral but my DH put a stop to that one. I still post a candle to him online every year on his anniversary

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Fri 06-Jan-17 19:59:02

Rick May all for the same reasons as Luckless.

Thefitfatty Fri 06-Jan-17 19:59:27

Robin Williams. I suppose because I also have severe depression and addiction issues, and use humour to mask the pain, it bothered me that he eventually succumbed to it. It makes me feel like there is no hope

StarlingMurderation Fri 06-Jan-17 20:01:54

I don't think I've ever felt more than a brief pang of sadness when a celebrity has died. I do remember feeling quite sad when John Diamond died, mainly I guess because he wrote about his illness in his columns so I was rooting for him to recover.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:02:04

Prince. His music is a cornerstone of my family. My dad (actually stepdad but deserves to be just dad) has a humongous Prince collection and lots of my childhood memories relate to his music. We all shed a little tear when he died because his music is just so intertwined in our lives

WildBelle Fri 06-Jan-17 20:02:38

I think something that is quite interesting (sociologically) about celebrity deaths is that we seem to want to know every little detail, which considering how closed off from death we are generally as a culture is quite odd.

Deadsouls Fri 06-Jan-17 20:04:56

I think Amy Winehouse. Even though she was in a terrible mess, it was painful to watch her decline from the beginning of her stardom to how she ended up. If only she could've known how beautiful and valued she was, how much she gave to people through her voice. Looking at photos of her at the beginning, she was radiant, healthy, funny and it's so sad that she died in the state she did, all alone.

PopGoesTheWeaz Fri 06-Jan-17 20:05:55

David Bowie really got me, which to be honest surprised me a bit. But I was crying for days. I still could cry if I sit and think about it. He was such an increadible artist who still had so much to give. He was a ground breaker in terms of music but also style and individuality and normalised being different and creative - the world would be such a sad and boring place if it weren't for him. It was also such a shock as we hadnt known he was sick.

Same with Carrie Fisher. I've just always looked up to her, both as Princess Leia but also in her writing and the way she handled media, especially recently. Again, she had so much left to give it breaks my heart that we wont get to see it.

I feel like the world and celebrity is filled with vacuous people so when these true stars die, the world shines a little less brighter.

rollonthesummer Fri 06-Jan-17 20:06:00

None really. I was a bit sad about Rik Mayall, though.

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Fri 06-Jan-17 20:07:59

I'm usually like you but was really saddened when Robin Williams died, particularly when I heard it was suicide. He brought so much humour to the world and was adored by so many. It's just so incredibly sad that he felt like he needed to do what he did.

Tootsieglitterballs Fri 06-Jan-17 20:08:51

Again, more than 5 years ago, but Heath ledger. I can still vividly remember the night it happened, and texting my bestie. We both stayed up watching news 24. He was a really brilliant actor, and silly as this sounds, watching him in batman always upsets me , still to this day. I think it's because you know how into his characters he got and being the joker must have screwed him up big time. We loved him since we first saw him in 10 things I hate about you, which was when we were teens, and I think that goes some way to explain why it affected us more than other celeb deaths - he was a teen crush!

That probably doesn't help you at all!

PopGoesTheWeaz Fri 06-Jan-17 20:10:30

Robin Williams here too. It made me so sad that someone who brought so much joy to all of us was suffering so much. A lot of depression in my family so it struck home.

For what its worth, I have no desire to know the details of their deaths, other than how it happened.

HNY2017 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:10:54

There was a thread on here a few months back about this.

For some reason jade goodey dying made me feel incredibly sad.

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 06-Jan-17 20:12:08

Does it have to be from the past 5 years?

I suppose I was a bit sad at Rik Mayall as others have said as I grew up with him, but as my dad died a few years ago, I don't think any celebrity death has really hit me hard.

In my yoof, I can honestly say I was gutted when Kurt Cobain died. It was such a waste of talent and he was so young. Same goes for River Phoenix.

DaftJelly Fri 06-Jan-17 20:12:27

Terry Pratchett. Even though we (and he) knew how ill he was. It took me a long time afterwards to read The Shepherd's Crown knowing I'll have nothing new to read of his ever again. I sobbed for weeks about it, and still get teary now.

icelollycraving Fri 06-Jan-17 20:15:50

Jade Goody was sad. She was a nice woman with such beautiful young kids sad
George Michael upset me a bit as I have grown up listening to his music. He was the same age as my husband. We watched a documentary the other day about him performing in Paris & I kept getting a big lump in my throat.

LouSaint Fri 06-Jan-17 20:16:48

Kurt Cobain. Just because I was young and I loved his music (and fancied him)and it was (fairly because he had a known drug problem) unexpected, also Rik Mayall because he was relatively young, it was unexpected , and he was a genius. But John Peel got to me the most, I remember being tearful for days when he died, I felt bereft and I don't really know why, I didn't particularly listen to his show.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now