Talk

Advanced search

How do parent's feel about taking part in face to face or anonymous research?

(3 Posts)
researcher2018 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:55:35

Hi, I'm a Trainee Clinical Psychologist and I'm hoping to carry out some research with parents who have adolescents who self-harm. I'm hoping to find out more about their experiences. At this stage I'm not recruiting, but would just like to know how parents feel about taking part in interviews face to face compared to anonymous (online) questionnaires and which they prefer? Any advice is welcome.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

mylaptopismylapdog Tue 20-Dec-16 11:11:23

I have no experience of this but do take part in research for dementia as my mother was a sufferer. The research started as online and then you could reply to a request for an interview if you felt able which I did. I felt happy to do both but this was all after my mother had died so I was no longer in the middle of the situation. One thing that may be a consideration is that their children may be in a treatment centre and they may already be tied up and tired driving to and fro a centre in another county as well as coping with the rest of family life. I would have thought online would be more practical for them and maybe several short inquiries rather than one large survey.

researcher2018 Tue 20-Dec-16 14:56:46

That's really helpful. I think I had been thinking about the emotional impact of taking part in research studies, so its really useful to have others' perspectives and to think about practical issues too. My supervisor had mentioned starting online questionnaires with an option to meet face to face as you did.
Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now