Talk

Advanced search

Where do you go when your child is unwell?

(5 Posts)
MRBallard Mon 19-Dec-16 14:42:06

I'm a doctor working in child health in London, and I am trying to understand how parents and guardians access healthcare for their children when they are unwell.

There are so many different services out there (like GPs, urgent care centres, accident and emergency), but how do you feel about using them? What kind of things are most and least important to you?

I'm really interested to hear what you have to say about it all.

For example:
-How do you choose whether to go to your GP or to an urgent care center?
-What are your thoughts on the NHS 111 telephone service?
-Do you think you're more likely to go somewhere if you have been there before?

Any discussions or comments would be really helpful smile, thank you so much!

user1486649881 Fri 10-Feb-17 10:41:25

Action for Sick Children carried out a survey on this which can be found on their website.

buckyou Fri 10-Feb-17 10:53:41

Go to the GP if we can (in GP hours), if not I ring 111 and see what they tell me to do.

I'm not really a fan of the 111 service though, you seem to end up going through lots of irrelevant questions with lots of different people.

challengedvertically Fri 10-Feb-17 11:02:27

My first step is usually the GP as they're good at getting younger ones in on a same-day appointment. Where I live (small town) there don't appear to be any walk in centres nearby, only a minor injuries unit, so that seems to be more applicable to people living in/near cities - that would otherwise have been my next choice. So if it as out of hours, it would have to be 111 - but I find it tedious with the irrelevant questions, they often seem to send you to A&E anyway, and the people at the end of the phone are just following a flow chart - I want to speak to an actual person! I've heard stories of the operators missing important signs (probably down to how the flowchart works) and it damages my confidence in them

BackforGood Fri 10-Feb-17 11:10:48

I work a lot on 'instinct' and being pretty pragmatic. IME dc do get ill sometimes, same as adults do, but more so. Doesn't mean they need any sort of professional help a lot of the time. I use (or used to as I presume this is more about smaller dc) over the counter remedies. If it's something I'm less confident about I'll talk to the pharmacist.
If I feel they really do need a Dr, then I am very lucky with my GP, in that, as well as appts they have open surgeries every day, so you will get seen if you need to.
Never tried 111, but don't hear good reports.
Out of hours, we again would make a judgement - is this something that can wait or do I need to call the OoH and ask for advice / go to a walk in centre.
A&E, obviously (to me anyway, clearly not to a lot of people) only for emergencies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now