Talk

Advanced search

Living with the menopause

(10 Posts)
astersstudent Thu 17-Nov-16 13:57:11

Hi everyone, living with the menopause can be a nightmare, am I right or am I right?

I am a final year design student at Loughborough University and for my major project I'm looking into how I can improve life for those struggling with the menopause. If anyone has 5 minutes it would greatly appreciated if you could fill out this short questionnaire astbury93.typeform.com/to/m1DIyJ

All answers are totally anonymous and are treated with upmost confidence. Thank you in advance. This is an exciting time - you will be contributing to a significant advance in menopausal management

astersstudent Thu 17-Nov-16 14:00:18

In addition, if you have any issues with this questionnaire or any other comments then please drop me a message at p.g.astbury-13@student.lboro.ac.uk

Thanks again

Cherylene Thu 17-Nov-16 14:04:09

What do you mean by 'in the menopause'

menopause is the point at which periods stop, applied retrospectively after one year.

Do you mean pre menopause(late reproductive stage), peri menopause, post menopause? It means different things to different people.

astersstudent Thu 17-Nov-16 14:28:07

Hi Cherylene,

Great question - I should have specified. In this case I'm using 'menopause' as an umbrella term. At this stage of the project I'm looking for responses from those pre, peri and post menopause. I'd like to gather as many people's first-hand accounts and feelings towards the support they've had, their symptoms and how they deal with them along with a few other things.

PollyPerky Thu 17-Nov-16 15:18:38

what kind of things do you hope to design to help women at this stage of life?

astersstudent Thu 17-Nov-16 16:18:19

Hi Polly,

Unfortunately that's not something I can disclose is much detail. Having said that, the project is at such an early stage it's quite difficult to say at the moment anyway.

Essentially if there is anything I can do to help people's day-to-day lives it would be fab. This survey should give me a really good idea of various avenues to pursue.

The final prototype/design will be on view at the Loughborough Design School Degree Show in 2017

PollyPerky Thu 17-Nov-16 16:51:17

I know this is an interesting topic but being honest I can't see what a design school could produce, unless it was something to help women not using HRT and who wanted things to help keep them cool during hot flushes and night sweats.

(Ps this is just a by the way- is MNHQ ok about surveys like this being put onto forums? Might be worth checking...)

PickAChew Thu 17-Nov-16 16:55:21

There's a Not For Profit forum here for this sort of stuff. I've alerted MNHQ.

astersstudent Thu 17-Nov-16 17:17:42

Thanks for your thoughts Polly, it's great to hear people's views on potential approaches. We'll have to see - It's just a student project to help me get a job (fingers crossed!) but if it's commercially viable then that would great also.

PickAChew - Thanks for alerting them, I obviously don't want to cause any upset by posting in the wrong forum. This was not intended to cause any controversy so apologies if it has. Do you know where I can find the 'Not for Profit' forum space?

PickAChew Thu 17-Nov-16 21:10:58

Here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/surveys_students_non_profits_and_start_ups

Had to hunt it down, myself! Topics started there appear in active conversations the same as any others, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now