Talk

Advanced search

Calling for mums to answer my online survey for my EPQ

(33 Posts)
JasmineLearmouth Mon 07-Nov-16 12:42:09

Hi everyone,

I am an a level student studying at New College in Swindon. As part of my studies, I am completing an extended project. An extended project is a 5,000 word essay on a chosen topic of your choice, you pose a question and then complete research to be able to answer the question. My project question is "What is the Golden Age of Adolescence?", I am trying to find out which was the best decade to be a teenager in, looking at each decade from the 50s to the 90s. To answer my question I am conducting primary research to get a much clearer and much more personal view. I need to ensure I collect responses from lots of people who were teenagers in each decade and my course supervisor suggested looking into mumsnet to target all the age groups I need. Therefore, if you were a teenager in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s or the 1990s please could you fill in my survey for me. This research is imperative for my project so I would greatly appreciate any responses.

Here is the link for the survery: goo.gl/forms/OIg7NLteUOBP3G8n2
You do not need to have a google account to answer this survey, it was just the ideal way for me to create my survery because there are no question or response limits.

If you have any questions about my survey, either comment on this thread or email me at jasminelearmouth@outlook.com

Thank you very much!
Jasmine

Washthenetting Mon 07-Nov-16 12:51:49

I just tried to fill this out but I think I'm too young. (No section for the period I had my teenage years in) Are you looking for people over a certain age?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:54:39

Done

OhNoNotMyBaby Mon 07-Nov-16 12:59:33

OP, You might want to take a look at this thread for background research.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/1985466-Growing-up-in-the-70s

I'm sure there was another more recent one but can't find it just now.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 07-Nov-16 13:00:12

Good luck with your EPQ, Jasmine.

GruochMacAlpin Mon 07-Nov-16 13:03:48

I started filling this in but have up. Not all the questions are well worded, there's some strange grammar in there and some questions assume a discursive answer when the answer might just be "yes".

Honestly, I'd take the survey down review the questions with someone IRL and come back to us.

Example - there's a question asking about housework. There isn't an option for "occasionally".

Question 3 is very oddly worded and I'm not clear what information you wanted from the question about qualifications.

I ploughed through to page 5 and gave up trying to wade through the questions - sorry.

RiverTam Mon 07-Nov-16 13:09:54

Done.

Whynotnowbaby Mon 07-Nov-16 13:23:27

Agree with Gruoch, I've done it all for you but I think your very generalised questions about society are a bit strange. I don't think all of society had one attitude towards drugs in the 90s any more than there is one universal attitude now!

FadedRed Mon 07-Nov-16 13:36:20

I've done the survey, but found some of the questions difficult to understand.
Qualifications? The one one got as a teenager or over the rest of life?
My teenage years are spread fairly evenly over two decades, and 'permissions', expectations obviously varied with age - big difference between what I was doing at 13 or 19 years old for example. Difficult to reflect this without writing an essay! Did you pilot the survey before putting it on this thread? I hope you get some reasonable data for your project but think it will be somewhat vague and difficult to draw reliable conclusions from.
Best of luck with your studies.

JasmineLearmouth Mon 07-Nov-16 16:58:51

No one else has had problems with how my questions are worded. I'm a sociology student (also an English student) and ran my questionnaire through all of my teachers and not one of them picked up any problem. Which questions in particular did you not like the wording of? I've added occasionally as an option too.

I'm after very specific answers and I have yet to get an answer which wasn't want I wanted.

I wanted the highest qualification you go by the end of your adolescence (19)

JasmineLearmouth Mon 07-Nov-16 17:02:13

Also I would greatly appreciate if you could get husbands/boyfriends/brothers, any male relatives or friends you could to fill it in for me because I currently only have 1 male response.

JasmineLearmouth Mon 07-Nov-16 17:03:34

I need people that were teenagers between the years 1950-1999, you may well be too young, sorry, I did specify in my first message.

Whynotnowbaby Mon 07-Nov-16 17:25:07

Oh ok you've got the wrong qualifications from me then I only had A levels then. As pp said it is a problem asking a question referring to the whole of adolescence as rules when you are 13 are very different to the rules when you are a 19 yo adult who is quite possibly away at university. I answered those questions thinking about when I was 13 as there were no real rules from my parents at 17/18/19. I am an epq coordinator and I would have advised you to get 10 people to trial it to allow issues like this to be highlighted and then you could reflect on them in your journal. You can still do so now. It is a good idea to post on Mumsnet to get a wide audience for your survey and you have additionally had helpful advice about the questions in the survey too. A lot of marks are awarded for your ability to reflect and identify how things could be improved or done differently so this input will feel annoying when you have worked hard to construct a survey but could prove very useful in the long run!

JasmineLearmouth Mon 07-Nov-16 17:32:38

I did get people to trial it though, none of this came up before haha. My EPQ leader went through it with me and she thought it was great. I have slightly adapted a few questions but my existing response are still relevant. The results I'm getting are what I was looking for too.

BonusNewt Mon 07-Nov-16 17:46:59

Just to warn people, your responses can be seen by everyone who completes the survey. Not under your name of course but potentially identifying since there are so many non yes/no answers eg I have X number of siblings, x ages, I feel xyz about adolescence because such and such happened? Might not be an issue but best to know - I do feel a bit uncomfortable now!

JasmineLearmouth Mon 07-Nov-16 17:50:51

It's only me that can see the results! They will not be talked about specifically in my EPQ just overall for each decade and each gender as overall statistics!

RiverTam Mon 07-Nov-16 17:51:36

I didn't like that you didn't have the option of one full time and one part time working parent. Annoyed me as it looks like only my father worked, but my mother was a medical professional so I feel a bit miffed that she's vanished!

Also, if I'm Hinest, I had no idea what 'society's' expectations were of stuff - I knew my family's and my schools snd that was it.

You also had no mention of the kind of schooling - I went to a smallish private girls school, which could lead to very different answers from someone who went to a large mixed comp.

justwanttoweeinpeace Mon 07-Nov-16 17:54:47

Done.

I'd add an option so people can ramble on somewhere. I don't think I've given you a flavour of being a nineties teen in my survey.

JasmineLearmouth Mon 07-Nov-16 17:54:54

Ooh I will change that now, sorry about that!

Those expectations are society's that's where your family got them from.

I can't add that in now as I already have a large number of responses and it would invalidate although it's isn't important in my research I do agree it would affect answers, this wouldn't affect those answers though, I've got the info I needed!

AuntieStella Mon 07-Nov-16 17:55:44

My teenage years were split over two decades.

How do you want answers - the decade they began or the one they ended?

JasmineLearmouth Mon 07-Nov-16 17:57:59

They're checkboxes so you can tick more than one. I can work stuff out from your birth year no worries.

Answer the questions as asked, if you have anymore problems, let me know and I'll help you out!

BonusNewt Mon 07-Nov-16 18:02:40

Jasmine I can see the results when I click on"see previous responses" after the survey has been completed. I can see what everyone has answered to every question.

BonusNewt Mon 07-Nov-16 18:04:22

E.g. I can see what someone has said about not having a curfew because they live in the middle of nowhere, someone else has said they were a happy accident etc etc. That could be identifying all put together.

Lancelottie Mon 07-Nov-16 18:06:55

Actually, Jasmine, everyone can see the results - maybe you should check that, if it wasn't your intention?

JasmineLearmouth Mon 07-Nov-16 18:10:59

Oh gosh I'm so sorry! I turned it off! I had no idea that it would automatically give that as an option!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now