Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy this toy for your child?

(17 Posts)
user1476361196 Mon 24-Oct-16 13:51:10

Hello,
I'm a university student and I need to find out if parents would buy these toy products designed by my group brand for children between 5 & 10 YRS

A few questions I would really appreciate if you could answer smile

- Would you buy toy products from a brand that is army based?

- Would you buy products that have a specific health and activity focus?

- Would you prefer toys that were inside or outside based or have no preference?

- What price bracket would you pay for a electronic toy?

- What prices do you normally look for toys and games within?

THANK YOU! smile

cosmicglittergirl Mon 24-Oct-16 13:53:01

What do you mean by 'army based'?

Giratina Mon 24-Oct-16 13:56:20

What price bracket would you pay for a electronic toy?
What prices do you normally look for toys and games within?

^These depend a lot on what the toy is and what it does.

As for the others, I buy a mix of indoor and outdoor toys. I'm not sure about army based, do you mean like those little plastic army men?

TimetohittheroadJack Mon 24-Oct-16 14:00:31

A toy a 5 year old wants is very different from a toy a 10 year old wants.

I would buy a toy that was different. After 5 children and lots and lots of birthdays and christmas's, most toys, once they are out the box, add to the general pile and are 'bin fodder'. Especially if they have hundreds of little pieces.

Best toys ever ? iPad, bike, scooter trampoline.

PurplePidjin Mon 24-Oct-16 14:03:23

As an university I would expect you to be capable of reading the forum rules before posting tbh

PurplePidjin Mon 24-Oct-16 14:04:54

Nope, ignore me, missed what section this was in blush

CartwheelGirl Mon 24-Oct-16 14:09:16

- Would you buy toy products from a brand that is army based?

I assume you mean guns and stuff like that? Yes, it's part of learning.

- Would you buy products that have a specific health and activity focus?

I assume you mean something like skipping rope, football or knitting set (as opposed to fluffy plush toy that is mostly just decorative thing) - correct? Yes, of course, I would buy them.

- Would you prefer toys that were inside or outside based or have no preference?

I would like a mixture of both at home, so both, really. I like outdoors but not every day is a sunny day!

- What price bracket would you pay for a electronic toy?

Up to £50 for a younger child and up to £100 for 9-10y old and up. Can be more if it's not strictly speaking a toy but a mobile phone, for example. These would be Christmas or birthday presents, not an everyday thing.

- What prices do you normally look for toys and games within?

Under £10 throughout the year, but can be convinced for a good under £20 toy. Under £100 for big occasions, once a year.

Hope it helps.

user1476361196 Mon 24-Oct-16 14:12:53

Sorry I wasn't clear.

The brand is army based through logo, toys themed to military. Such as camouflage pattern, names such as airstrike?

Toy ideas we have are the following:
1 - Watch/fitness tracker/mission game - allowing parents to track or set fitness goals to increase health and activity. Alongside the game for fun purposes.

2- Blow up bouncy castle, with different heights - outdoor toy - shark attack theme.

3 - Ball that separates when you throw it, pieces come out from centre. Group game?

Does a brand with a health and activity focus appeal to you?

GruffaloPants Mon 24-Oct-16 14:19:12

Army stuff - no. Why would I want to associate warfare/death/killing with my kids.

Also don't really like the shark attack idea for similar reasons.

Health/activity focus - yes, if I think they will enjoy it.

Prefer indoor toys as have no garden.

Electronic toys - £30-£60 maybe.

Would spend a maximum of £100 per child on all toys together.

CartwheelGirl Mon 24-Oct-16 14:20:11

1 - Yes that would appeal to me. Probably impractical for a 5y old but closer to 10y old goals start to makes sense.
2 - I would never consider buying a bouncy castle because it's a mahoosive thing that I have nowhere to put. Just impractical. It doesn't matter about the heights, or the sharks, I'm just not interested in owning bouncy castles of any kind.
"Ball that separates when you throw it" - I wouldn't trust that it would reliably work and continue to impress children for some time.
"Does a brand with a health and activity focus appeal to you?" - I don't understand this question.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 24-Oct-16 14:20:13

So like a fit bit? I can see that being appealing to kids. (If you're allowed to copy it?)

Army based. No, I really don't like the look of camouflage or stuff to do with the military.

The exploding ball sounds potentially like you could lose an eye.

Giratina Mon 24-Oct-16 14:20:23

Airstrike is a terrible name for a toy in the current climate with Syria and everything.

user1477282676 Mon 24-Oct-16 14:22:03

No.

"Army based" you mean military based. No. The military is not something I want my child to base games around.

Fitness toy...no. Children don't need them. They need to have the opportunity to play freely without being monitored.

Shark attack themed bouncy castle sounds ugly. So no. No need for attacking shark images.

Ball...too badly described to decide.

TimetohittheroadJack Mon 24-Oct-16 14:36:24

I have a bouncy castle, it's a pain in the arse to drag out the garage, get extension cable for fan.. Then forget to put away and it gets soaked..... So no. A fit bit thing, maybe, but as smart phones are quite cheap and can measure activity and so much more.

The ball thing - anything that comes apart is likely to be lost!

The army theme, it's not really novel is it? My children have had army themed stuff, soldiers, guns but would I run out and buy more, probably not

user1476361196 Mon 31-Oct-16 20:41:30

Thank you for your responses.

I have drawings of two of the ideas. I hope this make it a bit clearer.

Shark Attack is the blow up/bouncy castle esq product.

Extraction is the mission/game/fitness tracker.

Could you give me your views on these, pros and cons - if you would buy them ?

thethoughtfox Mon 31-Oct-16 20:44:52

Love the idea of number 2 shark bouncy castle thing but would never buy military themed anything unless dd chose it herself

LockedOutOfMN Mon 31-Oct-16 20:49:27

Would you buy toy products from a brand that is army based? No.

Would you buy products that have a specific health and activity focus? Maybe. I wouldn't want anything associated with weight-loss or dieting, but my children own things like tennis rackets and bicycles already.

Would you prefer toys that were inside or outside based or have no preference? Slight preference for outside, as we live in a warm climate and the children usually play outside all or most of the year round.

What price bracket would you pay for a electronic toy? Haven't bought any yet (children are still young).

What prices do you normally look for toys and games within? Depends on the item.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now