Talk

Advanced search

Survey - Feminine and Masculine

(7 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AbernathysFringe Wed 25-May-16 19:20:30

Hi all, not sure if this is right place to post, but my 17 year old SS is doing a study, basically a tally chart, of what people think defines feminine and masculine. She wants three adjectives for each. She's done a paper survey in her town centre but not had as many results as she'd like. I said I'd try mn for her. Any takers?

SpeakNoWords Wed 25-May-16 19:52:07

Could she do a survey on a website like surveymonkey? It's a bit easier for people to fill out, and she can collate the responses easily.

AHellOfABird Wed 25-May-16 22:19:58

You might be better in chat - FWR posters are unlikely, on the whole, to have three words to hand as questioning gender stereotyping is kinda in the remit...

LurcioAgain Wed 25-May-16 22:27:08

Oh dear, I'm afraid the three words which spring to my mind are "made up bollocks" - but I suspect that's not what she had in mind. Actually (because Buffy made a very acute post on a different thread pointing out that social structures like this aren't "made up bollocks" in the sense that they are abitrary, but rather reflect power structures within society) a more nuanced answer might be "it's socially constructed, variable across cultures - though according to my anthropologist friend pretty much all cultures have "masculine" and "feminine" categories, even if they don't agree on what they are, but generally speaking functions as a means of pigeon-holing people to the detriment of women."

I agree with AHell - chat would be better for this sort of survey.

scallopsrgreat Thu 26-May-16 13:31:29

Hierarchy benefiting men

There you go - three words grin

PalmerViolet Thu 26-May-16 16:31:59

Feminine: masked male oppression

Masculine: masked male oppression (but not up to women to sort)

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-May-16 20:54:17

Hi there OP. We're going to move this thread over to our NFP Surveys topic in a moment. Good luck to your DD with her study.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now