Can YOU help improve PRE-ECLAMPSIA research ?

(1 Post)
jamesduffy Tue 17-May-16 18:26:35

Hello, my names is James Duffy.

I am an obstetrician based at the University of Oxford.

I am working to improve pre-eclampsia research to enable healthcare professionals to provide better treatments and care for pregnant women and their babies.

My motivation to improve the care women receive in pregnancy and childbirth steams from my mum’s experience of stillbirth and life threatening pre-eclampsia.

A YouTube video summarising the study can be found here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbRd35j9nSs

Pre-eclampsia is a common condition affecting pregnancy. If left untreated, it can lead to life threatening complications, for pregnant women and their babies.

Research studies testing new treatments for pre-eclampsia often measure different outcomes. For example, when a new blood pressure medicine is being tested, one researcher may decide to measure the fall in blood pressure (a outcome) and another researcher may only measure medicine side effects (a different outcome). When complete, the results from both studies cannot be easily compared or combined, to see which treatments work best.

This is a barrier to improving the care women and their children receive.

The aim of the study is to overcome this barrier, by developing a core set of mother and baby outcomes that would be common to all future pre-eclampsia research.

Anyone with experience of pre-eclampsia, either as a pregnant woman, family member, healthcare professional or researcher, can help, by becoming a citizen scientist.

Further information, including video, please visit: www.phc.ox.ac.uk/ihope

I would be delighted to hear from you.

You can find out more about me and our research: www.phc.ox.ac.uk/jamesduffy
Or tweet me: @jamesmnduffy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now