Talk

Advanced search

nutritious bakery breakfast for school age children

(26 Posts)
linavetova Mon 29-Feb-16 11:00:38

Hello lovely ladies,

Another student doing dissertation that very much needs ANY input from you. I am in my final year at the National Bakery School, part of London South Bank University studying towards a degree in Baking Technology and Management
So I would like to know if you are likely to welcome a convenient breakfast bakery product for your children to facilitate their nutritious needs. I am not going to ask you to feel a survey, but please drop a couple of sentences (or more) to provide me with an opinion.
I am looking into potentially developing such product (American style pancake perhaps, but open to suggestions), as having done plenty of research, I am now aware of the effect breakfast has on academic and physical performance and even weight!
So what I would like to implement in my product is fibre, low glyceamic index ingredients (big word, but basically means slow energy release), vitamin D (as kiddies still rather deficient, won't mention the lack of sun) and natural flavourings (freeze dried fruit powder). There will be no added refined sugar, as though its delivers loads of sensory pleasure, it isn't the best nutritious choice.
In a nut shelf my product will aim to keep your children full till lunch time and moreover provide them energy to last till lunch time . And it is convenient, no need to warm up or apply anything on it (subject to personal choice).
I can write an awful lot more to give a deeper insight, but don’t wish to burden you with too much information.
So ladies as you most likely you are the one choosing breakfast (or purchasing) for your lovely children, would you kindly let me know if you consider this to be a viable idea and any recommendations you may have about the product too. As I haven’t finalised the product content or shape, your opinion and feedback will be decisive.
Your details are safe with me, as no such will be used in my research paper.
I am looking to be hearing from you soon.
Kind Regards
Lina

FishWithABicycle Mon 29-Feb-16 11:13:06

I don't want my child feeling full till lunch just full till 10am when he has a fresh fruit snack to keep going till lunch.

I wouldn't buy a "bakery product" with freeze dried fruit powders etc etc so I'm not your target audience but the actual taste and eating experience is much less of a factor than what it looks like, how it's packaged and what it's called when you want kids to try something new.

(P.S. mumsnetters don't like being called "ladies" - it is patronising)

linavetova Mon 29-Feb-16 11:24:53

Thank you FishWithBicycle.
I am sorry , was not sure how to address you smile, but no intentions of being patronising. I shall hope I am forgiven. Please be assured that taste will be at the forefront of my activity , I am a nanny in my daily job, so aware about how children perceive food -smile. Sensory analysis test will be conducted with children once the product is manufactured , but I wanted input from mums prior. The fruit powder will just enhance the flavour, but recommendations for any other flavours very welcome.
Many thanks for your feedback .
Lina

Queen0fFuckingEverything Mon 29-Feb-16 11:29:12

Not sure it would offer any advantage over wholemeal toast with nut/seed butter and/or jam, which is a breakfast staple here.

I strongly doubt that MN is the best place to get opinions on convenient bakery products grin

PurpleDaisies Mon 29-Feb-16 11:31:28

Is the idea that people buy your pancakes from a supermarket and head them up at home?

I agree with queen-I don't think they sound better than our standard seeded bread toast with scrambled eggs.

VimFuego101 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:34:58

I agree, pancakes aren't really a nutritious breakfast and anyway it only takes a few mins to make them from scratch. I'd prefer DS to eat whole meal toast or porridge or something.

linavetova Mon 29-Feb-16 12:03:59

Queen0fFuckingEverything, PurpleDaisies , VimFuego101,

Thank you for your replies. You are forwarding a very insightful information. I don't think that I have really conveyed all the correct information above, as tried to be brief. Indeed the breakfast product will have higher fibre content than standard wholemeal/seeded loaf. But it also have more protein and vitamin D.It also doesn't need to be a pancake , just an idea as kids do like them, and they can be customised. By saying convenience , I meant just something easy to serve, without compromising on taste, quality and nutrition.
When I came up with the idea I looked into current obesity figures in children and how breakfast affects the physical and academic performance in children . The links are numerous and proven. Of course they are other factors involved too.
I am correct to conclude that you are all happy with what is out there and already available for breakfast and you think breakfast bakery product to target children nutritions need is simply not needed?
I though with all the cereal brands continuously innovating and targeting the children's market ( while still adding an awful lot of refined sugar), the baking industry could do a bit better too, but your posts suggest otherwise-smile.
Kind Regards
Lina

I

VimFuego101 Mon 29-Feb-16 17:18:26

I think to have any appeal, it would be need to be something ridiculously easy to prepare. That's the only thing that might win me over - if it was something I could literally take out the fridge and not even have to microwave, and maybe even that the kids could eat in the car or while walking to school, to speed things up in the morning.

linavetova Mon 29-Feb-16 17:53:49

VimFuego101,
Thank you so much for your response.
You have a great point and its one of the key things of the product, hence I used the word convenience. Convenient , but also nutritious and not last delicious . So if your children are late for school in the morning for whatever reasons , there is no time for preping breakfast or whatever else it may be , you will have a packed of breakfast bakery product on the go, that doesn not require any additional preparation.
Kind Regards
Lina

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Wed 02-Mar-16 14:28:05

If there was something with a good shelf life, that could be just thrown down the DC on a morning when you've all overslept or whatever, then yes I might consider it. Especially if it could be eaten on the hoof.

But I don't see a product of this sort becoming a regular breakfast food for them - toast and marmite usually (so fruit flavouring isn't a draw for us).

ProfYaffle Wed 02-Mar-16 14:34:49

I think it sounds great. My dd1 is really awkward at breakfast time, doesn't like much in the way of 'traditional' breakfast food - apart from sweet waffles and pancakes. If there was a more nutritious version available that was also convenient/long shelf life etc I'd love to try it.

ProfYaffle Wed 02-Mar-16 14:36:48

Oh - I should add - my dd is almost 12. Packaging would be important. Anything seen as too 'young' would be rejected by her, however, she's at an ages where convenience food like cheese strings have suddenly become more appealing because they're seen as cool (!) by her friends. If you could create something visually appealing, nutritious and convenient, it'd be nothing short of a minor miracle tbh!

Spandexpants007 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:47:23

For me the grains/carb is important. If it's white wheat, I won't be interested.

Spandexpants007 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:49:13

My children couldn't care about packaging. A home made taste would be their thing. If it was at all processed tasting and rubbery, it would be binned.

Ethelswith Wed 02-Mar-16 14:59:54

One DC has early morning sports training 2 or 3 times a week and often doesn't feel like eating much before, so I'm always on the lookout for things that could be a breakfast afterwards. So individual packaging, and something that can be eaten quickly at the start of the school day (essentially in the grounds, as dining room obvs not open first thing) would matter in deciding whether to give this a try.

BornToFolk Wed 02-Mar-16 15:09:48

Hmmm, I can see the market for something like this being fairly limited, to be honest.
DS (8) usually has a bowl of porridge with fruit or a bit of honey or both. And then a slice of wholemeal toast. Quick to prepare, nutritious and CHEAP. I'm not going to buy pre-prepared breakfast foods for every day. I do sometimes get croissants/waffles etc for a treat breakfast at the weekend but as it's only once in a while I'm not too fussed about the nutritional content.

We've never been so late to school as to need to eat breakfast on the way but if we did then a slice of toast and a piece of fruit would do the trick.

linavetova Wed 02-Mar-16 21:27:25

Thank you for all your replies mumssmile. It is proving to be very beneficial to my research .
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot
It is just a concept for a product development really, doesn't need to be fruity only , savoury line is a great idea ,hence Im so glad for your feedbacks.
What I think its really important is that it is nutritious, delicious, convenient and kids love it.
ProfYaffle
Don't I just have the same problem with the 3 kids I look after. And they are 11,13,15. The 13 year old one does not even like milk. So cereal is out. He has a piece of bread (no butter ) and hummus ! Packaging is later stage , but very important point so thank you . And thank you for the support.
Spandexpants007
Very good point -tasting like home-made, thank you. I was thinking of slow release energy , which means very little white flour if any!smile. I want it to taste delicious, as the children simply will not eat it if it is not .
Ethelswith
That is a brilliant point thank you! Definitely will consider this. He/She must have a big sugar level drop after , if no food. So many of them have PE lessons first thing..
BornToFolk
You are so lucky!!! smile. For both not being late and your kid loving porridge and not getting fed up with it! I'm jealous. It worked for a bit for us with the youngest , but not for long . The fact that I am thinking of nutritious , doesn't mean it will be expensive, though I can not that it will be as cheap as porridge . But maybe you are right and maybe it will be for "a particular market". Thank you for your feedback .

You all have been really very helpful and this is helping me immensely in my dissertation !

Spandexpants007 Wed 02-Mar-16 23:07:57

Ideally for me - mixed grains, protein, some fruit. As unprocessed as possible. Properly healthy unlike the usual stuff

nailslikeknives Wed 02-Mar-16 23:24:03

Mine are 5&3. They like higher fibre cereal options (no sugary ones to choose from, as a rule), porridge, croissants with runny jam for dipping, yoghurt, fruit, plain brioche - these are weekdays.
On weekends, Nutella on bagels is a popular option. I don't allow chocolatey things for breakfast on weekdays. That's my 'nod' to health!
I'm about to try Mary Berry's energy bars (off the telly) for next weekend.
Things I can't find/buy now, but would if I could, include mini croissants. Normal size ones fill them up so no room for yog or fruit, smaller ones wouldn't. Dunno if you can make them high fibre! But that's what I'd buy if I could.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 02-Mar-16 23:38:29

Breakfast here is a variety of wholegrain cereal, yoghurt, fruit, scotch pancakes, potato cakes, (both dare i admit it usually out of a packet) bagels, toast.

So it may be something we'd consider but not sure exactly what your USP would be - why would the product be significantly different to pancakes / scotch pancakes already on the market?

Xmasbaby11 Wed 02-Mar-16 23:46:09

How about savoury muffins?

linavetova Wed 02-Mar-16 23:46:10

Spandexpants007
That is all on my agenda thanks. No unnecessary processing , as it reduces the naturally present nutrient smile . The usual breakfast stuff available ,its simply not very versatile . Because I am a bakery student I am concerned with this industry and its lack to innovate , apart from manufacturing gluten free products ,some carb reduced brands and fibre added. Nothing for children . Thank you again for participating smile.
nailslikeknives
What a variety of breakfast choices smile. Did not know she does bars now! Please check the sugar content on those , they are usually completely full with he stuff! Piece of her cake may turn out to be a better choice. Or I may be completely wrong . I am more concerned with school age children at this stage , reasons being : 1. there is a scientific proof that breakfast and its quality is directly linked to academic and psychical performance . 2. Unfortunately some studies have also linked it with obesity...
Thank you for your feedback .
Lina

linavetova Wed 02-Mar-16 23:55:03

namechangedtoday15
love your question
USP- there are no breakfast bakery products out there for school age children targeting their nutritious needs, whilst being convenient and delicious at the same time.
Yes there are pancakes - but what is in them and yes they are crumpets, muffins and so on, but the nutritious values .. Not great.
Where I personally think its great that the family all eat the same , I think this is much more applicable when speaking about dinner.
Breakfast in my experience has to be quick , but also has to be of a good quality.
I may be completely wrong and slightly biased as living in hectic London , hence I am so grateful for all your comments .
Thank you

linavetova Wed 02-Mar-16 23:57:39

Xmasbaby11
Sound good . Would you children like this as a breakfast option ? Savoury is better than sweet as cuts out the so good, but bad sugar factor .smile

nailslikeknives Thu 03-Mar-16 00:04:27

I make cheese, carrot & courgette muffins - they're great but never thought about serving them for breakfast. They always taste best eaten as soon as they're cool enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now