Talk

Advanced search

Dolphin Slaughter at Taiji Cove Japan

(8 Posts)
Curleywee Thu 04-Feb-16 14:38:05

UK Government Petition: https.petition.parliament.uk/petitions/110850

I am currently trying to gather signatures for this petition which asks the UK Government to make a public protest against the very primitively sadistic and pointless slaughter of dolphins at Taiji in Japan. The slaughter is pointless because the flesh of dolphins caught near the coast of Japan is so highly contaminated with mercury and other toxins from industrial effluent it is not fit for consumption. This has been publicly admitted by the killers themselves.

The real income associated with this slaughter comes from one or two members of each pod which are netted and reserved to be sold as captives for grotesquely cruel "dolphin shows" in small tanks of chemically treated water, for unsuspecting audiences - clearly ignorant of the suffering involved- in tourist resorts. The distress of the captive dolphins and the consequent death rates in these tanks are dreadful. The Japanese Government, currently flouting the International Court of Justice in The Hague by whaling illegally in the Southern Ocean, claims it is defending a "tradition" and obdurately ignores protests against the Taiji Slaughter from ordinary people and groups throughout the world, including those from Japanese citizens themselves. Diplomatic, protests, delivered privately between governments, seem to be dismissed even more summarily. While our Government does protest in this way, it is ignored too.

If this petition gathers enough signatures by 26th April, my MP, Dr Paul Monaghan, will argue that a debate on Taiji and related issues should be held the House of Commons. He will make the case for dolphins to be awarded worldwide protected status, which they do not have at the moment. The debate itself will raise awareness of the slaughter and the suffering involved in the appalling tanks.

Like Japanese communities near Taiji, who have abandoned killing dolphins in favour of tourism and whale/ dolphin watching, the UK has a growing interest in eco-tourism. It is obviously our responsibility to protect the well-being of our coastal environment and the creatures who live there. I hope you agree that it is also our responsibility to contribute to the conservation of all the oceans, and the creatures who live there, threatened as they are by massive pollution, disruption, global warming, climate change and depredation by over-fishing.

For these reasons, I hope that you will support this petition. I have attached a leaflet which gives further information and a link to the petition. I would appreciate your support and help in persuading more people to sign. Please sign - and share persistently - until 26th April.

LINK: petition.parliament.uk/petitions/110850

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Feb-16 10:24:52

Hi Curleywee, thanks for posting this petition - it is indeed a very upsetting practice and we wish you all the very best with it and hope the required number of signatures are reached.

Curleywee Wed 10-Feb-16 10:33:29

Bump!

Curleywee Wed 10-Feb-16 10:36:06

Dolphin Slaughter at Taiji and Seaworld Dolphin Shows. Petition to Parliament: Bump.

Curleywee Wed 17-Feb-16 21:40:26

Please remember the suffering involved in the trading of captive dolphins. Swimming with captive dolphins or going to "dolphin shows " in tourist resorts unfortunately supports the most appalling agonised deaths of dolphins at Taiji Japan. Please try to help dolphins. Bump.

Biscuitsinbed Wed 17-Feb-16 21:43:31

Signed, I have seen a film of this, just horrific.

Curleywee Mon 22-Feb-16 23:18:31

Bump

Curleywee Mon 22-Feb-16 23:19:33

Please try to share this petition and persuade others to sign. It needs a lot more signatures to have any effect. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now