Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you have a spare few hours next week and a linguistics or MFL Degree?

(18 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

notamum3210 Wed 03-Feb-16 00:23:55

I really don't do this too often but if you have a linguistics or MFL degree and a spare few hours next week, our charity really does need your help.

The UKLO is a schools competition a little like the maths challenge but we are entirely reliant on volunteers who are in some way linguistically-trained (however rusty) to mark our scripts- all markschemes are provided. We've had a lots of schools register this year (which is great) but the demand is enormous and we need marking to happen next week 8th-15th Feb.

If you'd like to know more then please please do follow this link:
www.lagb.org.uk/studentforum/3796838#3796838

It should have all the details you need to sign up.

Thank you so much for your time and apologies for clogging up this space. Without volunteers all of the work we do collapses.

Many thanks

IPlayPingPong Wed 03-Feb-16 00:58:41

Hi! I'm in my final year of a MFL degree (French and Spanish) if that would be of any help. Also have lots of graduate MFL friends so will spread the word

Flossyfloof Wed 03-Feb-16 08:21:02

Is everything done online? Can I use an iPad?

RabbitsarenotHares Wed 03-Feb-16 08:26:56

See the questions multiple choice? I have degrees in Modern Celtic languages, and whilst have studied a few European languages to some level I'm far from fluent. But I'm willing to sign up if you think I could be helpful.

(Perhaps PM me as who knows when I'll find this thread again!)

notamum3210 Wed 03-Feb-16 08:27:52

Hello thanks for your responses and for agreeing to spread the word!

Our system (which is quite new) allows you to view all the markschemes online and to download them. The scripts are scanned in by teachers and e-mailed to you so theoretically the answer is 'yes' you could view it all online by using a dual screen on a laptop. You can also input marks onto the system online.

I'm not sure if, in reality, you could use an iPad for everything as it would be quite tricky to flick between the markscheme and the paper (though probably possible). If you were to print the markscheme and one copy of the blank paper - you could use that to keep track of the marks and then do everything else on an iPad.

Hope that's helpful and thanks for the interest.

mammmamia Wed 03-Feb-16 09:24:39

Is a rusty French degree any use?

MWestie Wed 03-Feb-16 09:31:51

Do you have any examples of the type of questions to be marked? I'd be interested but my MFL degree was some time ago and I'm definitely a bit rusty. What kind of levels would be involved?

BeyondBootcampsAgain Wed 03-Feb-16 09:34:48

DH has a french (english minor) degree and has recently started a second degree in joint german and spanish. I'll pass the address on to him smile

SquadGoals Wed 03-Feb-16 09:36:05

Happy to help, have a French degree.

Also got a lot of time on my hands this week as I am between freelance contracts.

FetchezLaVache Wed 03-Feb-16 09:45:52

Hi nota, I'm a translator working from French, German and Dutch with degrees up to postgrad level in MFL- just trying to sign up but it's telling me the cut-off was 8 days ago and I can't seem to get any further with it. I've entered my address- could you have a look and see if I'm down to mark any papers? I'll PM you my email address so you know who I am.

Flossyfloof Wed 03-Feb-16 10:09:01

I would be happy to help but I am afraid I don't know what you mean by viewing using a double screen. I would be ok to print off the mark scheme but not so sure about printing off 20 or 30 scripts.
Is that what would normally be done? Sorry if I am being dense.

notamum3210 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:13:38

Thank you very much to everybody who has responded already!

A rusty French degree is absolutely fine. We actually provide all markschemes and resources. We only really ask for a linguistic background or training of some sort for deciphering some of the more discursive answers. We also have a team of people on standby via e-mail for support with the marking.
There are some past assessment materials on this website:http://www.uklo.org/for-markers

If you're still interested we could definitely do with a few more markers.
The website to sign up is: portal.uklo.org/accounts/signup/?next=%2Fdashboard%2F

Thank you!

---
PS: if you have children or students who are taking the exam this week it is quite important, in the interest of fairness, that you declare these as 'conflict centres' so that you don't end up marking your own school's work. Our nifty portal can make sure you're not matched up with that particular centre.

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Feb-16 10:27:49

Hi OP
We think this is a brilliant thing but we've moved it to our NFP topic - but please do keep it bumped. I've also personally sent it to a couple of MFL teacher mates, cos we're nice like that.
Best of luck with it all
I was going to do linguistics but didn't get the grades

MrsHathaway Wed 03-Feb-16 10:57:00

Part 1 French and German, Part 2 Linguistics. Have followed the link.

MrsHathaway Wed 03-Feb-16 10:58:16

"502 – Bad Gateway

The page you requested is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

If you are the website owner, please see Error: 502 Bad Gateway documentation for more information and possible steps to resolve the problem."

? That's for the signup link. Will try again later.

MrsHathaway Wed 03-Feb-16 11:16:10

Working now!

MrsHathaway Wed 03-Feb-16 11:22:47

I've just looked at the papers. I would have LOVED to have done this challenge when I was at school!

notamum3210 Wed 03-Feb-16 11:37:47

Sorry for that blip - glad to see it's working now! smile

I feel just the same way MrsHathaway - that's a big part of the reason why I decided to get involved with the UKLO first as a volunteer marker myself and then co-ordinating marking. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now