Talk

Advanced search

Censorship In School Curriculum???

(18 Posts)
izZI123 Mon 07-Dec-15 12:26:10

Hello all,

I'm carrying out a survey on censorship in literature at secondary level education, and how mums feel about this?

It's just one question, you can pick as many options as you want. Thanks in advance!

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/X2JN683

triceratops1066 Mon 07-Dec-15 16:37:38

I think children of high school age need to be exposed to a variety to be able to grow and develop.

I think removing To Kill a Mockingbird because it is American was a bad move (but then most of what Gove did to English education was bad)

PolterGoose Mon 07-Dec-15 18:48:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntieStella Mon 07-Dec-15 18:54:19

Schools can still teach TKAM though. I'd hate it if schools decided to teach only the final examination texts only (and that would be the schools decision). And it's not as if there's a lack of equally rewarding texts to teach, some of which can be final examination texts.

I did not fill in your survey, OP, as many things which, on a list are all wrong, when in actual texts being taught well are valuable insights into difficult themes.

I think parents would find themselves objecting to pretty much all of Shakespeare if they applied much of that list literally and consistently.

izZI123 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:23:33

I completely agree with you! Novels like TKAM and Gatsby are classics and I think it's such a shame that Gove feels removing them from the curriculum to promote "British values" is going to enrich a child's education somehow. Thanks for the reply!

izZI123 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:27:14

My survey is just part of a little project, not linked to an official organisation or anything. It's completely anonymous and won't be linked to you if you're worried about that. If you want I can message you with details of my project though if you're interested?

TrojanWhore Mon 07-Dec-15 19:31:20

There's quite an important difference between curriculum and exam syllabus.

Gove did not remove them from the curriculum.

I think it would help if you posted the purpose of this survey clearly on the thread, as all reputable researchers do, even for small projects.

There is no need to use PMs.

motherwithheadache Mon 07-Dec-15 19:37:13

none of the answer. I don't think I would never interfere with child's education but NOT for the other reasons given

PolterGoose Mon 07-Dec-15 19:37:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dodobookends Mon 07-Dec-15 19:38:00

We have huge riches in the way of literature by British authors, what's the problem in studying those in depth first?

Can't help wondering which authors are studied by 14/15-year-olds in the States.

Incidentally, classic though it might be, my dd found TKAM as dull as ditchwater and couldn't fathom it at all.

noblegiraffe Mon 07-Dec-15 19:40:25

'Because it's drivel' doesn't appear to be an option. Like if they decided to study Katie Price's biography or something. Not that they would.

Tbh, I saw your list and immediately thought of the Bible.

izZI123 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:42:09

That's a very good point, and actually that was a viewpoint i tried to address in the last option.

I have found that in certain cases books are challenged simply for their subject matter, no matter the way they are taught - take TKAM for example, an obviously anti racist novel and yet still challenged by certain black communities for the use of the n word, as they felt they didn't want their children having to read this derogatory term no matter the circumstances. I'm not saying I would agree with this particularly, but it is a valid point people have.

Surprisingly Shakespeare is also challenged! (Not widely I grant you) bannedbooks.world.edu/2011/12/12/banned-books-awareness-william-shakespeare/

Thanks for the comment!

dodobookends Mon 07-Dec-15 19:58:53

Removing TKAM from the curriculum is highly unlikely to be as the result of any kind of censorship.

Far more likely that it is because no teenager in the UK who is taking their GCSE's will be able to relate to it in any way, or to comprehend all the nuances and subtexts because it refers to the experiences of a child in a foreign country many decades ago. (And it was written by someone who based it on memories of her own early years, and who herself misunderstood much of what was going on at the time anyway).

prettybird Mon 07-Dec-15 22:50:12

TKAM is still part of the exam curriculum, if you accept that Scotland is still part of the UK wink

Not everywhere in the UK sits GCSEs. grin

prettybird Mon 07-Dec-15 22:53:56

....and ds (15), who has studied it as part of his Nat 5 curriculum has very much been able to identify with it.

He's currently studying "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and guess what? He is able to relate to the themes explored in that too. That's part of what studying literature is about.

dodobookends Mon 07-Dec-15 23:51:05

Prettybird - apologies, but I know nothing about the education systems anywhere other than England.

Yes, I know that's part of what studying literature is about, and there will be students who are able to relate to it more than others. Mind you, the way the subject is sometimes taught is enough to put some people off reading 'literature' for life.

Nothing on Earth would make me read Jane Eyre again.

balletgirlmum Tue 08-Dec-15 00:00:52

I've not filled it in as it's far too simplistic. For example I would object if my year 7 child was given a sexually explicit novel to read but by the time they get to year 11 it's a different matter.

Also what is a sexist or racist novel? I might object if they were being taught that racism was fine but studying a novel with racist attitudes in an historical context with a discussion about the difference in attitudes - great.

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 08-Dec-15 16:50:42

We're going to move this over to our NFP topic in a mo.

Thanks! <flowers>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now