Talk

Advanced search

How effective is your child's school at communicating with you about truancy?

(9 Posts)
NickLiffen Thu 26-Nov-15 18:27:53

Hello, my name is Nick Liffen and I am a final year student at the University of Portsmouth. I am undertaking a project trying to deter truancy in secondary schools, by creating a website / phone application allowing parents to check their child's attendance at school. Consequently this would mean parents would be able to see if their child is in school. It would also show their attendance in different classes which could prove very beneficial. I have created a questionnaire, and it would be extremely helpful if I could get your opinion on a few questions regarding truancy in schools. This questionnaire is completely anonymous and shouldn't take longer then 2 minutes. Thank you very much for your help and cooperation.

Link to questionaire: goo.gl/forms/U7pGkN2AeV

TeenAndTween Thu 26-Nov-15 19:37:14

fyi My daughter's 6th form college already allows me to track attendance at individual lessons via a web page.

I also believe that some schools allow a portal onto SIMS(?) to see similar information plus other stuff like grades.

NickLiffen Thu 26-Nov-15 19:45:13

Hello, thank you very much for your feedback! It is very much appreciated, I am just trying to collect information about current systems and trying to see where they can be improved upon. As well as getting parents opinions on the best methods of communication. Thank you once again smile

yeOldeTrout Thu 26-Nov-15 20:00:53

I didn't know 6th formers could ever be truant.

Um, how does OP's application work if teenager refuses to use a phone or if they turn it off? School usually phones us within 60 minutes of kid not there, that's what matters.

yeOldeTrout Thu 26-Nov-15 20:03:03

ps: I couldn't click anything to answer least Q. The Qs aren't helpful for me because my teen comes straight home when he skips school, so we know where he is.

OddBoots Thu 26-Nov-15 20:10:07

I can track DS's attendance through a thing called 'ProPortal' I also get a text if he is over 60 minutes late.

NickLiffen Thu 26-Nov-15 20:15:22

Thank you for all your feedback! Thanks OddBoots that is really useful information. And yeOldeTrout thanks for the information, really sorry that my question's aren't helpful, if you could give me some feedback I will try an accommodate. smile

TeenAndTween Thu 26-Nov-15 20:16:33

ye

I assume its an app that goes through to the school system, not a phone-tracking thing on the teens own phone.

I don't think you can 'truant' from college, but you can certainly miss classes!

Some schools ring parents if not in, starting with y7 and working upwards. Could be a long time before they get to Zebedee Zeus in y11.

NickLiffen Thu 26-Nov-15 20:18:54

It is indeed TeenAndTween! It will go through a current school system and let the user look on a phone or computer to see if they are at school and also will show attendance for individual classes. All this feedback is really useful thank you! It is aimed at years 7-11 at the moment I think smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now