Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ hasn't verified any of the posters on this topic. Please be cautious when sharing personal information.

Thoughts on Junk Food Advertising

(3 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

LaurenToulson Thu 19-Nov-15 14:25:07

Hi
I’m a media student and I’m investigating how the media impacts our food choices, looking particularly at junk food advertising and how it makes children desire that kind of food from a young age. I have discovered that junk food is banned on children’s TV channels, however other family viewing channels such as ITV do not have this ban, and in fact advertise brands such as McDonald’s, Coca Cola and Dominos quite regularly.
Since I am not a mum, I would really love your opinion about how you think junk food advertising affects your children; do they desire to eat mcdonalds and drink fizzy drinks and do you think the media is responsible for this? Are you doing anything to prevent the media’s intervention in their food desires, or were you not aware that advertising can have harmful affects on their lifetime food preferences and health?
Are you aware of, or active supporters of, campaigns such as Change 4 Life and Jamie Oliver’s sugar tax?
Your opinions would be so much appreciated and I can’t wait to hear them!

EnaSharplesHairnet Thu 19-Nov-15 14:31:52

One thing are the sports drinks promoted by famous footballers. Very influential ime and then we hear premiership footballers have dental problems! Surprise, surprise.

In general on food and drink it's frustrating to be fighting this corporate behemoth and then be told (by the stroppy teens) that the government wants "a nanny state" when a sugar tax is mooted.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-Nov-15 15:56:19

Hi LaurenToulson - we're going to move this over to our Not-For-Profit surveys section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now