Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on Katniss from The Hunger Games

(3 Posts)
dystopiafan2015 Fri 14-Aug-15 14:26:54

Hi everyone,

I'm currently writing my dissertation for my publishing masters on young adult dystopian fiction, in particular The Hunger Games and Divergent. I was wondering if anyone would like to share their opinions of Katniss and Tris.

Why do people like them (or don't like them?)
Do you think they are positive role models for young girls today?

If anyone has a daughter or son who has read the book what do they think of the characters? Do they identify with these female characters or would boys prefer to read books with central male characters?

Any thoughts on Katniss, Tris or either of the books (and films) in general would really help my research. Positive and negative comments are welcome. Also any comments on dystopian fiction as a young adult genre would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any opinions

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-15 15:37:20

Hi dystopiafan2015 - we're going to pop this over to our Not For Profit surveys topic.

BobbyGentry Fri 14-Aug-15 16:08:07

Are the books a vehicle to keep kids in line? (as in Fairy Tales & Grimm Tales of old.) When growing-up in the 80s many texts/movies were about atomic fallout (Z for Zachariah, When the Wind Blows & Children of the Dust etc.) Dystopian genre of the noughties (maze runner, insurgent & Hunger Games etc) is of the same ilk - don't veer off the path or the Big Bad Wolf will eat you ... the texts are styled differently to meet the mood of the audience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now